Cruise fare considered in FCC

Cruise Raider

Does anyone know what the actual 'cruise fare' that Princess gives when calculating their Future Cruise Credits?  

I know the taxes and fees (and insurance) are paid out separately and the actual 'cruise fare' is the remained of you total payment.  

Now, what you will see on the Princess site, there is a per person fare and listed below are those taxes and fees ... added together for the total cost on your invoice. 

However, one travel agent I use occasionally does break this out quite a bit differently.  For example:

Princess site: 

Cruise:  $1635 pp

Taxes:   $170 pp

Total:     $1805 pp

Invoice from My Travel Agent:

Cruise:  $1260 pp 

Taxes:   $545 pp

Total:    $1805

If the percentage of the FCC is based on the amount of the 'cruise fare' from the top Princess site's value, it is worth quite a bit more than if they base it on the amount from my travel agent.  

Now, don't get me wrong, I am not one to look a gift horse in the mouth and believe the offer by Princess is very generous.  I am not complaining and don't even bother to validate any complaints from others. 

I am just trying to figure out which option I should choose for my canceled cruise.  I am leaning towards the cash + the 50% bonus FCC and if the travel agent's invoice cruise fare is what is actually used, there would be no question in my mind for choosing option #2.  If the 'cruise fare' used for calculating the cruise fare is the what shows on the Princess site, I might be inclined to go with option #1.  

59 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Does anyone know what the actual 'cruise fare' that Princess gives when calculating their Future Cruise Credits?  

I know the taxes and fees (and insurance) are paid out separately and the actual 'cruise fare' is the remained of you total payment.  

Now, what you will see on the Princess site, there is a per person fare and listed below are those taxes and fees ... added together for the total cost on your invoice. 

However, one travel agent I use occasionally does break this out quite a bit differently.  For example:

Princess site: 

Cruise:  $1635 pp

Taxes:   $170 pp

Total:     $1805 pp

Invoice from My Travel Agent:

Cruise:  $1260 pp 

Taxes:   $545 pp

Total:    $1805

If the percentage of the FCC is based on the amount of the 'cruise fare' from the top Princess site's value, it is worth quite a bit more than if they base it on the amount from my travel agent.  

Now, don't get me wrong, I am not one to look a gift horse in the mouth and believe the offer by Princess is very generous.  I am not complaining and don't even bother to validate any complaints from others. 

I am just trying to figure out which option I should choose for my canceled cruise.  I am leaning towards the cash + the 50% bonus FCC and if the travel agent's invoice cruise fare is what is actually used, there would be no question in my mind for choosing option #2.  If the 'cruise fare' used for calculating the cruise fare is the what shows on the Princess site, I might be inclined to go with option #1.  

Many agencies do the above.  A portion of your cruise fare, not revealed in Princess invoices, is not commissionable for the agents and many line item it and put some label on it like more port taxes, or roll it all up into one figure with the actual port taxes as yours did.  The difference is $375 from your example and I would venture that your booking was a 15-night cruise. 

AFAIK, Princess will use the cruise fare amount (the combined commissionable and non-commissionable portions).

3 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Many agencies do the above.  A portion of your cruise fare, not revealed in Princess invoices, is not commissionable for the agents and many line item it and put some label on it like more port taxes, or roll it all up into one figure with the actual port taxes as yours did.  The difference is $375 from your example and I would venture that your booking was a 15-night cruise. 

AFAIK, Princess will use the cruise fare amount (the combined commissionable and non-commissionable portions).

Very helpful ...thank you so much!!  

And yes, it is a 15 night cruise ... how did you know?  

Edited by Cruise Raider

1 minute ago, Cruise Raider said:

Very helpful ...thank you so much!!  

And yes, it is a 15 night cruise ... how did you know?  

Because I know that for most typical length cruises, the non-comm fare portion is $25/pp/day and $375 was a multiple of $25.  For long length cruises, the rate drops to $20/pp/day (I'd have to look it up but IIRC that split changes at > 30 nights).  The Pacific has it's own special rate, perhaps due to its size and I only recently discovered that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Because I know that for most typical length cruises, the non-comm fare portion is $25/pp/day and $375 was a multiple of $25.  For long length cruises, the rate drops to $20/pp/day (I'd have to look it up but IIRC that split changes at > 30 nights).  The Pacific has it's own special rate, perhaps due to its size and I only recently discovered that.

Thank you for this information. Nice to know 😊 Never too old to learn something new, every day.

• Like 1

This is pretty confusing but i have one question if somebody could help please.

If I decided to cancel my cruise(June2020) prior to the 48 hour cutoff the fcc would I receive just what i paid?

Whereas if the cruise line cancelled would  I get a 50% bonus on top of that.

28 minutes ago, GCHAN said:

Sorry that was a bit mucked up.

Does the 50% bonus only happen if the cruise line cancels the cruise?

Yes, my bonus was an additional 50% cruise credit on top of the cash refund with the date of the cruise factored in ... and that Princess canceled the cruise.  If you cancel the cruise and it still continues on without you, then you only get the future cruise credit unless you have insurance and cancel for a covered reason.  
policies are changing daily so, this won’t necessarily be what you are given for a June cruise.  This policy covered  cruises from early March through Mid May.  

• Like 1