Rebooking with 125% credit

athlonnx

So my March 25th cruise was cancelled by Disney.  I'm taking the 125% credit.

So I figured they'd just give me the credit, and then allow me to go out an book whatever I wanted.

But when I called Disney they said that they are doing the re-bookings on their end if the credit is taken.  So, they cancelled the hold I had on the cruise I wanted.  They stated they would try to book me on the cruise I wanted and that they would get back to me.

Are others having the same experience?

1 hour ago, AlaskaBaked said:

What?? Are they picking the cruise for you? The only time we can possibly go is Christmas. 

If you select the 125% option, it's applied directly to another cruise. You have to book it at the time you contact DCL to let them know which option you are taking.

If you don't want to apply it to a cruise at the time of cancellation, you only get 100% future cruise credit that you apply at a later date.  I believe there's a time limit you must use that future cruise credit.

For a cruise in the $10,000 range, a 125% cruise credit works out to be $12,500 to use on a future cruise. If one rebooks a similarly priced cruise, what do you do with the $2,500.00 in onboard credit? 

1 hour ago, byanks7 said:

For a cruise in the $10,000 range, a 125% cruise credit works out to be $12,500 to use on a future cruise. If one rebooks a similarly priced cruise, what do you do with the $2,500.00 in onboard credit? 

Generally, a future cruise (of the same type/itinerary) costs more than it did in the past.  So the OBC probably won't be that much.

But OBC can cover excursions, adult dining, gratuities, and some really nice jewelry in the shops.

If you book a cruise that costs less, and don't spend enough while onboard to cover the extra, it's non-refundable, from what I read.

Thank you Shmoo, We are likely to be affected with our cruise later in April and I wanted to see what you think. With all the cancellations and the overwhelming number of cruisers that will seek to reschedule, how difficult do you think it will be rebook within a year? Aren't most of these cruises filled already?

And by the way, my wife smiled when she read your comment on the really nice jewelry in the shops. 

2 hours ago, byanks7 said:

Thank you Shmoo, We are likely to be affected with our cruise later in April and I wanted to see what you think. With all the cancellations and the overwhelming number of cruisers that will seek to reschedule, how difficult do you think it will be rebook within a year? Aren't most of these cruises filled already?

And by the way, my wife smiled when she read your comment on the really nice jewelry in the shops. 

I don't think it will be too difficult to book a cruise, once things open up again.  I think there will be many people just taking the refund and saying "I'm never taking a cruise" because of this.  Cruise lines are going to be rebuilding their clientele just because people are still going to be wary about being on a cruise ship for any long duration.

On 3/14/2020 at 9:38 PM, Shmoo here said:

If you select the 125% option, it's applied directly to another cruise. You have to book it at the time you contact DCL to let them know which option you are taking.

If you don't want to apply it to a cruise at the time of cancellation, you only get 100% future cruise credit that you apply at a later date.  I believe there's a time limit you must use that future cruise credit.

Well, I talked to them on Saturday, 3/14/20, in the morning, and told them exactly what cruise I wanted to be on, yet I still don't see that they've actually booked me.  They told me I had "priority" booking.... Whatever that means, as anyone can book the cabin I want right now, while I have to wait for them (maybe it means "last" priority).

So I figure I'll have well over $1,000 in cruise credit left over.  I'm hoping I can use some of that OBC to book another cruise while on the ship.... Assuming they actually book me....

1 minute ago, athlonnx said:

Well, I talked to them on Saturday, 3/14/20, in the morning, and told them exactly what cruise I wanted to be on, yet I still don't see that they've actually booked me.  They told me I had "priority" booking.... Whatever that means, as anyone can book the cabin I want right now, while I have to wait for them (maybe it means "last" priority).

So I figure I'll have well over $1,000 in cruise credit left over.  I'm hoping I can use some of that OBC to book another cruise while on the ship.... Assuming they actually book me....

Typically, OBC cannot be used to book a cruise onboard.  You have to use a credit card.  

Meanwhile what is everyone doing about their flights?  Our 4/4 trip was canceled and I have requested a specific cruise date.  But we need 2 adjoining rooms on that date  and if we don’t get that we will have to cancel going.  I don’t want to be stuck with $5000 credit in airline vouchers with no place to use them. (There are 7 of us that were flying cross country during Spring break so flights were expensive.)

Edited by SoBaycruiser

On 3/15/2020 at 9:21 PM, byanks7 said:

You can also take an additional person.  My daughter and I have credit now, and it would be more than we would need for the cruise we have our eye on.  An email to Disney confirmed that if we add my husband to the reservation, some of the credit can be used for him.  

31 minutes ago, Missus_Aitch said:

You can also take an additional person.  My daughter and I have credit now, and it would be more than we would need for the cruise we have our eye on.  An email to Disney confirmed that if we add my husband to the reservation, some of the credit can be used for him.  

On another forum it's been reported that additional people (ones not on the cancelled cruises) don't get the credit.  

I didn’t mean that a person new to the reservation receives extra credit, but the Disney customer service told me that since my daughter and I have credit of $3,000 each, we can add my husband and book a cruise that is $6,000 total for the three of us.  That the portion of the credit that she and I don’t use is transferable to him, as long as she and I are also on the reservation.

On 3/15/2020 at 6:21 PM, byanks7 said:

By now many have rebooked their cruises and found out that they don’t get %125 of the total they paid.  They subtract out all the port fees and taxes as well as prepaid items and refund that part to you.  The remaining amount (basically the cost of the room before taxes) then is multiplied by 1.25 and that is the credit you get.  That is then applied to your next booking including the taxes and port fees for the new cruise.  So you don’t end up with quite as much OBC as you first thought.  I’m not complaining, just explaining.

On 3/26/2020 at 7:42 PM, SoBaycruiser said:

By now many have rebooked their cruises and found out that they don’t get %125 of the total they paid.  They subtract out all the port fees and taxes as well as prepaid items and refund that part to you.  The remaining amount (basically the cost of the room before taxes) then is multiplied by 1.25 and that is the credit you get.  That is then applied to your next booking including the taxes and port fees for the new cruise.  So you don’t end up with quite as much OBC as you first thought.  I’m not complaining, just explaining.

Many have rebooked?  Really?  I called right after I heard of the cancellation. I told them exactly what cruise I wanted to be rebooked on, but I still don't see that I've been booked.

Guess I'll have to call them again....