How Did I Not Know This NCL Rule????

funat55

I am currently booked for an Alaskan Cruise on the Joy the end of June.   I have my invoice in hand that clearly states  "final payment March 29th"   So why is it that my travel agent told me yesterday that my final payment is due today????   Apparently they can change the date and ask for the money sooner if they want to.  One day notice. (and in case you are wondering, she told me the minute she found out)   Really, to come up with over $6,000 when I thought I had until the end of the month.   The investment/source of my cruise money is not slated to be released to me until next week, so out comes the credit card.   Their agreement is unilateral and one-sided but I've always been willing to abide by their terms and conditions.  However, this little rule slipped right by me.  So according to the supervisor my TA spoke too, they can indeed change the due date for final payment anytime they want to.  

3 minutes ago, funat55 said:

I am currently booked for an Alaskan Cruise on the Joy the end of June.   I have my invoice in hand that clearly states  "final payment March 29th"   So why is it that my travel agent told me yesterday that my final payment is due today????   Apparently they can change the date and ask for the money sooner if they want to.  One day notice. (and in case you are wondering, she told me the minute she found out)   Really, to come up with over $6,000 when I thought I had until the end of the month.   The investment/source of my cruise money is not slated to be released to me until next week, so out comes the credit card.   Their agreement is unilateral and one-sided but I've always been willing to abide by their terms and conditions.  However, this little rule slipped right by me.  So according to the supervisor my TA spoke too, they can indeed change the due date for final payment anytime they want to.  

Some travel agents like to collect the final payment information a week or so in advance of the actual due date to make sure their clients don’t miss the date and get canceled. That is likely what is happening. 

Your final payment to NCL is still probably still March 29. The Travel Agent usually wants you to pay at least a week before they have to pay NCL. That's the way our Travel Agent has done in the past. Your Travel Agent should have been up front to you with the date your payment was due at the Travel Agency.

2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Some travel agents like to collect the final payment information a week or so in advance of the actual due date to make sure their clients don’t miss the date and get canceled. That is likely what is happening. 

99% of the time I would totally agree with you because it makes sense.  But let me disclose that my TA is also my sister and she knew that I needed a few more days to collect so she was batting for me to get an extension.  She was told that if I didn't pay by today, I would be cancelled.

7 minutes ago, mugtech said:

End of June Alaska cruises still up in the air with Canada closed until July.  Might be best and cheaper to cancel and rebook later.

This is something I would definitely consider doing.. no one knows if cruises will be back to normal by end of June.  

This situation with the virus causing so much turmoil is so new, it can't be predicted what will happen or when with any accuracy.  

Best guess is that cruises to AK this upcoming season may very well be a miss.  

When the Peace of Mind policy was instated, the final payment dates changed from 90 days back to the normal 120 days. Per the NCL FAQ section:

Didn’t you change your final payment policy to 90 days?

Yes, we temporarily modified our payment schedule. However, our new Peace of Mind policy supersedes any previously communicated changes and is effective for all sailings from March 10, 2020 through September 30, 2020. System and confirmations will be updated to reflect standard final payment date accordingly. We expect this to be complete no later than March 11, 2020.

Auto-Cancel functionality has been temporarily turned off while this update occurs so your booking will not be cancelled until March 17, 2020. For all final payments now due, please complete payment no later than March 17, 2020.

2 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

This is something I would definitely consider doing.. no one knows if cruises will be back to normal by end of June.  

This situation with the virus causing so much turmoil is so new, it can't be predicted what will happen or when with any accuracy.  

Best guess is that cruises to AK this upcoming season may very well be a miss.  

I am prepared for the cruise line to cancel me.  I'm holding out to see if it benefits me to cancel rather then for me to cancel.

I was previously booked on the Spirit going to Japan and NCL cancelled that cruise and gave me a 10% discount for the trip to Alaska.  Our family is willing to wait and see.   I once booked a last minute cruise on Carnival 3 days before sailing.

• Like 1