P&Os new cancellation policy - shockingly bad

Mattsudds

48 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

It's not up to ABTA, the government must change the law. If and when my June  cruise gets cancelled,  and they offer me 110% cruise credit  and then try and charge me 120% for the same thing. I will ignore P&O and simply use the consumer credit  act  to get a refund from my credit card company, for goods and services not recieved.  It would be a brave government that rescinded the consumer credit act, and legally difficult to exclude just the travel industry whilst providing protection for all other goods and services

It does apparently have the backing of the EU, so I imagine the UK will implement it.

3 hours ago, amajaa said:

We cancelled our Iona May cruise when they first said if you were ‘At Risk’ as husband Is over 70. We were told we would get a full refund. Does this still stand as this was before the new cancellation policy was published?

According to the last email P&O said it would still stand.

7 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

We don't have to  I simply said that I thought we probably would.

I must admit I do think they probably will implement it in some form.  I just hope that any implementation is not simply because the EU backed it.

1 hour ago, Son of Anarchy said:

We're not members of the EU.  Why should we implement something simply because the EU backs it?

Did we leave and I missed it?  We have a departure plan, but are currently still in the building...

12 minutes ago, crompton21 said:

Did we leave and I missed it?  We have a departure plan, but are currently still in the building...

You must have slept through the live TV reports on 31/01/2020.

Or maybe I missed seeing the Union Flag flying out EU HQ for last seven weeks.

1 minute ago, Son of Anarchy said:

You must have slept through the live TV reports on 31/01/2020.

Or maybe I missed seeing the Union Flag flying out EU HQ for last seven weeks.

During this 11-month period, the UK will continue to follow all of the EU's rules and its trading relationship will remain the same.

Boris is coming on the tv at 8:30, likely to enforce even more stringent measures to try to resist the spread.

When this ends there probably won't be much of a travel industry left, let alone cruising.

Whole economies destroyed for decades.

Whilst I might like a refund for cruises we've cancelled, I'd rather be hopeful that P&O stay in business, both for us and their staff and, eventually, some form of normality will be resumed - who knows when?. 

Times are changing and normal rules may have to be changed. If legistration is needed I'm sure it will be forthcoming.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, crompton21 said:

During this 11-month period, the UK will continue to follow all of the EU's rules and its trading relationship will remain the same.

And we won't have any say in any changes they may make because our MEPs had all their passes to the building revoked following our departure on 31/01/2020.

As well as reneging on their promise to refund in full those passengers (such as us) who cannot cruise due to government advice (which would also invalidate travel insurance - which P&O insists that you have), I now have another issue. 

I have been trying for several days to cancel restaurant reservations made (and paid for) on my Cruise Personaliser for the Iona Maiden cruise. Booking conditions allow a full refund if cancelled prior to 48 hours in advance of the booking but there appears to be a convenient ‘technical problem’ which is currently preventing cancellations. I know that P&O IT is beyond useless, but the current climate (and P&O’s current attitude) makes me suspicious that this is rather convenient for them. 

As I said in another post, whilst I have every sympathy with P&O’s plight, which is not of their making, customers money should not be held hostage in order to prop up their cash flow.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

As well as reneging on their promise to refund in full those passengers (such as us) who cannot cruise due to government advice (which would also invalidate travel insurance - which P&O insists that you have), I now have another issue. 

I have been trying for several days to cancel restaurant reservations made (and paid for) on my Cruise Personaliser for the Iona Maiden cruise. Booking conditions allow a full refund if cancelled prior to 48 hours in advance of the booking but there appears to be a convenient ‘technical problem’ which is currently preventing cancellations. I know that P&O IT is beyond useless, but the current climate (and P&O’s current attitude) makes me suspicious that this is rather convenient for them. 

As I said in another post, whilst I have every sympathy with P&O’s plight, which is not of their making, customers money should not be held hostage in order to prop up their cash flow.

The same thing is happening for excursion cancellations

5 minutes ago, Broadside said:

The same thing is happening for excursion cancellations

Interesting. Is that for the Iona Maiden or a different cruise? Perhaps it’s affecting every cruise? How long before we are told that T’s & C’s have changed and refunds for pre-booked excursions / select dining can no longer be made in cash and have to be Future Cruise Credit? I say this partly in jest, but anything is possible in the current climate. 

It’s all a bit of a mess and we are not hopeful of getting anything back on our :May 23rd cruise, flights and hotels.

These are unusual times. There’s been nothing like it before and those optimists who glibly predicted it would be plain sailing by May or June must surely now realise that we’re  in for the long haul (forget the pun, don’t mention flights!). It may be a year or more and people will lose homes, businesses will not reopen and only the lucky will still be afloat, and I don’t mean on a ship.

Going on a cruise is the least of my worries, staying alive and keeping my family safe is my priority.

Now we are finally seeing some more draconian measures by our U.K. government (probably  too little too late) maybe people will begin to see sense and take this seriously.

A faint hope at the moment. My NHS daughter went to Sainsbury’s during their special hour and as she left (she was as quick as she could be to get out pronto) she was met by crowds of people waiting outside including lots of old people who seem oblivious to social distancing, and who came way too close for comfort.

Please everyone stay at home. They’ve just shown on tv how this will massively lower the infections if we keep apart. I hadn’t realised how effective that can be but the graph was staggering.

China, where things were beginning to open up, reports a worrying increase in cases. I think someone on CC was highly optimistically saying a little while ago that China would take about two and a half months, looks very unlikely now.

STAY HOME. KEEP SAFE!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SHIPS CANARY said:

Having just read the latest E-MAIL from P&O and having read the latest ABTA information, It is obvious that P&O is waiting for ABTA to say they do not have to give refunds but to give FCC. For those that have not seen the E-MAIL there is the talk of empathy. Empathy is a two way thing why have they not canceled cruises knowing full well that they will not sail this is causing worry to thousands of passengers that have payed there money. Money that over the next few months will be badly needed by passengers that will be out of work, layed off, seriously ill, etc. Unlike the past Cruise passengers that had to be wealthy most passengers are now ordinary working people. Passengers should be given the choice of refund or FCC that would then depend on what passengers feel they can afford to do, that would be EMPATHY.

In regard to cancellation of cruises beyond 11th April, it is perhaps worth noting that P&O are one of 14 major cruise lines who at present have still not officially cancelled cruises due to sail after that approximate date.  I do understand the frustration but we need to look at what is happening across the industry, rather than only P&O.

Just now, Selbourne said:

Interesting. Is that for the Iona Maiden or a different cruise? Perhaps it’s affecting every cruise? How long before we are told that T’s & C’s have changed and refunds for pre-booked excursions / select dining can no longer be made in cash and have to be Future Cruise Credit? I say this partly in jest, but anything is possible in the current climate. 

It is for different cruises,  not the Iona Maiden 

4 hours ago, Selbourne said:

We've got this issue as well. About 3 weeks ago we decided to cancel the 2 excursions and a restaurant reservation on Iona 23/5. Restaurant and 1 excursion cancelled fine and refunds followed but the 2nd reservation freezes at the point it says 'do you really want to cancel?' 

I took it up with P & O about 10 days ago and they claimed they have a technical problem and I should keep trying but nothing has changed. Credit card company says tell them the solution you want and if they don't resolve in a reasonable amount of time, I should raise it as a dispute with them (the credit card company).

I'm suspicious as well.

Edited by petenlynn
typo

Just seen this on P&O Twitter :

In light of new Government guidance and global restrictions to halt the spread of Covid-19 we are working through our plans for the resumption of sailings and will communicate our initial plans as soon as possible.

4 minutes ago, petenlynn said:

We've got this issue as well. About 3 weeks ago we decided to cancel the 2 excursions and a restaurant reservation on Iona 23/5. Restaurant and 1 excursion cancelled fine and refunds followed but the 2nd reservation freezes at the point it says 'do you really want to cancel?' 

I took it up with P & O about 10 days ago and they claimed they have a technical problem and I should keep trying but nothing has changed. Credit card company says tell them the solution you want and if they don't resolve in a reasonable amount of time, I should raise it as a dispute with them (the credit card company).

I'm suspicious as well.

I am considering the same route if the ‘technical problem’ isn’t fixed quickly. I can see Credit Card companies becoming very busy with disputed transactions with lots of travel companies (not just P&O) playing fast and loose with their own terms and conditions. 

2 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Just seen this on P&O Twitter :

In light of new Government guidance and global restrictions to halt the spread of Covid-19 we are working through our plans for the resumption of sailings and will communicate our initial plans as soon as possible.

Yes, that was in the wording of the latest email from Paul Ludlow as well. I would suspect that the resumption of sailing will be many many months away, so anything announced ‘soon’ will inevitably change and therefore seems pointless. Suspect that the next communication is far more likely to be the next tranche of cancellations, which I would guess will be up to 13th May, to save having to announce the cancellation of the Iona Maiden just yet. 

35 minutes ago, glennbtn said:

I don't see why they should not refund. Carnival have just been given a 3bn loan to cover all their cruise companies to keep them afloat (no pun intended)

Guess they just want to make sure you cruise again with them

It's not quite " just been given a 3bn loan", it's a drawdown of an agreed loan facility put in place long before any of this started.  It is also the maximum amount of approved borrowing that they have in place, if (when) they need more the terms will be a lot less generous.  3bn is about six weeks income so they probably have about two weeks of it left....

1 minute ago, crompton21 said:

3bn is about six weeks income so they probably have about two weeks of it left....

Although I assume their variable overheads are pretty low at this time,  so they may have a little more time to play with. 

42 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Although I assume their variable overheads are pretty low at this time,  so they may have a little more time to play with. 

I guess that, as with most companies, staffing costs will be their major outlay, then you have financing costs for all the loans to buy new ships, and even though the ships are going nowhere there will still be some fuel costs to keep essential services running  so still lots of outgoings.

I would hate to be their senior financial VP at the moment, he must be having nightmares.

6 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I guess that, as with most companies, staffing costs will be their major outlay, then you have financing costs for all the loans to buy new ships, and even though the ships are going nowhere there will still be some fuel costs to keep essential services running  so still lots of outgoings.

I would hate to be their senior financial VP at the moment, he must be having nightmares.

I'd agree with you about not wanting any financial job in Carnival, or indeed any other holiday company, come to that. 

I wonder if in future cruuse companies might go down the "virtual company" route? Let someone  else build the ships,  and then lease them, subcontract the catering and cleaning, subcontract the entertainment etc.  Basically no overheads, and everyone else carries the risk.