Escape March 7-14th

Hi!  We were on this same cruise.  My husband has had diarrhea and some congestion and I have had nasal congestion, dry cough and mild shortness of breath.  Neither of us have a fever so they are refusing to test us.  We are quarantined though.  If you would please let us know how your test turns out.  This may help us get tested.  Thank you and hope you feel better soon!

Edited by Alscruiser1
typo

I am also interested in this.  I WAS NOT on this cruise, but I had all the symptoms of COVID-19 when I returned from cruise in October (on Escape from NYC to Bermuda). 

I was fine the whole cruise until the last night.  My throat (neck area) told me something was going on.  Oh boy...I was getting the "cruise crud"!  The symptoms continually worsened.  Over the next few days, I had a fever, chest compression (felt like elephant was on my chest), cough/nasal.  I have a HIGH TOLERANCE of pain and never complain.  I had natural child birth (not that I wanted to, but he came so quick I had no choice).  I never get extremely sick, but if I do get a touch of something, it is gone in a few days. Just suck it up and go one with my life.  I was sick for 3 weeks before I actually felt human again after cruise.  Just taking a shower sucked the life out of me.  In comparison, natural childbirth was easier than how I felt after cruise.  So, my point is:

Is the time timeline correct when first cases were reported?  I would like to be tested eventually to determine/un-determine if I had COVID-19 back in October.  The US is flooded with current issues, but for my own peace of mind, I would like to know if I had the virus in October.  I will pursue that when everything settles down and I hope it does soon for everyone's sake.  My situation is insignificant at this time.  I understand that.

Please DO NOT REPLY and question my judgement why I am posting.  I am just wondering if anyone else had the same symptoms (on their cruise) in order to connect the dots (which may in someway help in data collection to figure all of this out) and save lives.

I realize not everyone is on CC and therefore statistics would not be accurate.  I know that, but it's a start...

Maybe I should start a separate thread on this for compilation?

JMO. Be safe everyone!

56 minutes ago, OceanBlueWaters said:

JMO. Be safe everyone!

I don't think that's necessary, it's not going to give you anything accurate or useful.  Besides, I think everyone is Corona'd out on this forum.  🙂

Just my 2 cents worth.

Edited:  Just curious though, how do they test to see if you had it way back in Oct?

Edited by ColeThornton

55 minutes ago, OceanBlueWaters said:

I am also interested in this.  I WAS NOT on this cruise, but I had all the symptoms of COVID-19 when I returned from cruise in October (on Escape from NYC to Bermuda). 

I was fine the whole cruise until the last night.  My throat (neck area) told me something was going on.  Oh boy...I was getting the "cruise crud"!  The symptoms continually worsened.  Over the next few days, I had a fever, chest compression (felt like elephant was on my chest), cough/nasal.  I have a HIGH TOLERANCE of pain and never complain.  I had natural child birth (not that I wanted to, but he came so quick I had no choice).  I never get extremely sick, but if I do get a touch of something, it is gone in a few days. Just suck it up and go one with my life.  I was sick for 3 weeks before I actually felt human again after cruise.  Just taking a shower sucked the life out of me.  In comparison, natural childbirth was easier than how I felt after cruise.  So, my point is:

Is the time timeline correct when first cases were reported?  I would like to be tested eventually to determine/un-determine if I had COVID-19 back in October.  The US is flooded with current issues, but for my own peace of mind, I would like to know if I had the virus in October.  I will pursue that when everything settles down and I hope it does soon for everyone's sake.  My situation is insignificant at this time.  I understand that.

Please DO NOT REPLY and question my judgement why I am posting.  I am just wondering if anyone else had the same symptoms (on their cruise) in order to connect the dots (which may in someway help in data collection to figure all of this out) and save lives.

I realize not everyone is on CC and therefore statistics would not be accurate.  I know that, but it's a start...

JMO. Be safe everyone!

I'm going to try to make this short and sweet.

All the available scientific evidence says Covid-19 originated in Wuhan, China in December, 2019. I saw one purely speculative article that said "Well, maybe it originated in November, because we know the Chinese government covered it up for a while." But that was just speculation, presented with no evidence. Even if it had actually started a little earlier it still would have had to make its way out of China to the rest of the world. 

There any number of viral or bacterial infections that could have caused the symptoms you had in October.  Illnesses like bronchitis and pneumonia have literally been around forever, they didn't just start a few months ago. I came down with pneumonia while cruising on the Gem in January 2019...almost a year before Covid-19 was identified. The symptoms were the same. I was also on Escape from October 6 to 13 and caught a cold...it's pretty easy to catch something on a crowded cruise ship.

Finally, if you ever have an antibody test that shows you had Covid-19 it doesn't mean your illness in October was Covid-19.  You could have subsequently been infected but didn't know it because you were asymptomatic or just had a runny nose that you attributed to a cold. There are believed to be many, many asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic cases, which is why it's so hard to stop the spread of Covid-19 and why so much of the world has been ordered into lock down, as we have in my state...excuse me...our state, NJ.

2 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I'm going to try to make this short and sweet.

All the available scientific evidence says Covid-19 originated in Wuhan, China in December, 2019. I saw one purely speculative article that said "Well, maybe it originated in November, because we know the Chinese government covered it up for a while." But that was just speculation, presented with no evidence. Even if it had actually started a little earlier it still would have had to make its way out of China to the rest of the world. 

There any number of viral or bacterial infections that could have caused the symptoms you had in October.  Illnesses like bronchitis and pneumonia have literally been around forever, they didn't just start a few months ago. I came down with pneumonia while cruising on the Gem in January 2019...almost a year before Covid-19 was identified. The symptoms were the same. I was also on Escape from October 6 to 13 and caught a cold...it's pretty easy to catch something on a crowded cruise ship.

Finally, if you ever have an antibody test that shows you had Covid-19 it doesn't mean your illness in October was Covid-19.  You could have subsequently been infected but didn't know it because you were asymptomatic or just had a runny nose that you attributed to a cold. There are believed to be many, many asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic cases, which is why it's so hard to stop the spread of Covid-19 and why so much of the world has been ordered into lock down, as we have in my state...excuse me...our state, NJ.

I respect you and your opinion.  I consider you an "expert" on Bermuda (Charles rocks also!).  I learned a lot from you and your contribution to the Bermuda Boards.  You guided me on your responses to questions when I was planning (not directly from me, but other people).  You answered questions even though they were repeatedly asked and you did not say "USE THE SEARCH".  That was refreshing and kind. 

I was afraid of this.  I regret posting.  I still believe COVID-19 was among us before a country released their info.  I am now now stepping away from CC for a long time. Lots of other stuff to deal with....

Stay safe everyone 🙂

Good Morning fellow Cruisecritic members. Firstly, I would like to say that I apologize if I upset anyone for posing the question regarding this sailing---I am a 60 year old living alone and was patiently (not) waiting for the results of my Covid19 test and wanting to see if anyone else was experiencing the symptoms I was.  Sorry, not to fearmonger.  I am happy to say that my test results came back negative so-yes- you can have symptoms and it be a different virus/cold/flu.  If nothing else, hopefully this eases someone else's concerns but please, still be vigilant.  We know that not every test comes back negative!  thank you.

• Like 1

Thank you for responding back!  I am so happy to hear your results were negative!  This gives me some peace that my symptoms are something else too.  Hopefully that is the case.  Thank you again for sharing your results.  Good luck to you and stay healthy!

Edited by Alscruiser1
Typo
  • Like 1