Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

We’re getting the smoke from Oregon and the sun has been red all day. Thursday was my last day as all day grandmababysitter! Now I get to do what I want to do! I finished a small quilt for DH this morning and started a big one I’ve had in the queue for over a year. (I had to watch the same YouTube video multiple times to understand how to use the special ruler!) I’ve caught up with the almost live from Alaska thread, great fun!, and will head back to ironing, cutting, sewing. @Host Hattie have a great time on QA, @Lanky Lad I’m sorry you can’t jump onto QM2, but have a good week. I’ve started laying out clothes for our 3 days on QE on the 18th as she moves from Alaska via Vancouver to San Francisco. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Just had my COVID and flu shots!  Not sure if I’ve done the right thing because my doctor told me to get them separately. Will know soon enough!  I am now ready to head to Canada on Monday.  👍

We're not fans of multi vaccines at same time. Too long a story to that.

I'll get a voucher for free flu jab around mid October. We'll pay for my wife, prices for such things in France are rock bottom. Having just had Covid we'll wait until a bit later in year for our now annual shots.

27 minutes ago, D&N said:

We're not fans of multi vaccines at same time. Too long a story to that.

I'll get a voucher for free flu jab around mid October. We'll pay for my wife, prices for such things in France are rock bottom. Having just had Covid we'll wait until a bit later in year for our now annual shots.

Hoping you are both fully recovered now.  They asked me which arm I wanted the covid shot because they weren’t doing both in one arm.  I chose my non-dominant side because I’ve been here before lol.  The last 24 hours haven’t gone well.  Basically, it’s been like a condensed version of the flu with a super painful arm added in for fun.  I’m hoping to feel better tomorrow as there is much to do.

• Thanks 1

Hurricane Francine has thankfully by passed us, and headed further east. Hopefully since it only got to cat1, our friends in Louisiana will not suffer the damage we suffered with Beryl.

Following up after Beryl, I got my back up generator on line again, but decided to replace it with a newer unit. It is 12 years old. As you might imagine there are business out there willing to make a profit off others ails. I got two proposals one $6,500 more than another for the same unit and installation. The lower price came from the company who currently maintain the generator and who got it back in service. I accepted their proposal, and am now going through the process of getting approvals, but it is underway.

Even though the current unit is functioning and has gotten us through two actual power cuts, I got a twinge of nervousness when Francine started up the Texas coast. We will soon be past the peak season and so when the 2025 season comes, I will be ready.

It is also September 11, 23 years since that terrible event of 2001. I watched the memorial service on Television this morning. I was genuinely touched that we still read every name of everyone lost on that day in NYC, Washington, D.C. and Shanksville, PA. I hope that goes on for ever.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As intimated on another post we went to a local beach restaurant tonight. I gave one of my new suits that isn't two sizes too big it's first outing.
We booked a beach restaurant that we'd had to cancel three weeks ago due to our first experience of covid. The owner had phoned to warn us that there was a large group booked for a birthday party and there would be loud music. Not a problem, we like music. However he didn't say there would be a reduced menu, so with little choice we decided to go elsewhere. On leaving Nora realised that one of her heels had partially detached from her shoe.
I left her shoeless on a seat at the beach and quickly returned home to swap the shoes. I think it may have been a shoe conspiracy as the shoes I returned with were bought at the same time, in the same shop 25 years ago as the pair I was wearing.
We decided to try a new beach restaurant a few yards away, and had a lovely meal.

image.thumb.jpeg.9a9655a748fd9304b1b47bae03a8815c.jpeg

And with the "after" shoes!

A7C08124.thumb.jpg.bd5da2e37ed4667a7232f94201191acf.jpg

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, NE John said:

Finished our final apple harvest for the season. I have no idea what variety these apples are - any ideas? I call them New England Heirlooms. 

They are from a 100 year old tree and will make “yard to table” applesauce. 

IMG_4880.jpeg

That must be a lot of sauce.

Couldn't you make some cider, or better still an apple based spirit or liqueur?

Or even massive quantities of Tarte Tatin to keep in the freezer.

4 minutes ago, D&N said:

That must be a lot of sauce.

Couldn't you make some cider, or better still an apple based spirit or liqueur?

Or even massive quantities of Tarte Tatin to keep in the freezer.

Cider or a liquor sounds like a great idea! 

• Haha 1