Southwest Cancel

IcanSeaclearlynow

I've never had to cancel a Southwest reservation until now.  Received an email that if we cancel b/c of virus instead of needing to use credited funds 1 year from date of purchase it's now a year & 1/2 (something like that).  We want to use the credit for a cruise we have booked this October.   Should we need to cancel the October trip for any reason would we be able to cancel again & still have funds available as a credit?   Does anyone know if there's a limit as to how often you can cancel a SW flight w/o a penalty? 

2 hours ago, IcanSeaclearlynow said:

I've never had to cancel a Southwest reservation until now.  Received an email that if we cancel b/c of virus instead of needing to use credited funds 1 year from date of purchase it's now a year & 1/2 (something like that).  We want to use the credit for a cruise we have booked this October.   Should we need to cancel the October trip for any reason would we be able to cancel again & still have funds available as a credit?   Does anyone know if there's a limit as to how often you can cancel a SW flight w/o a penalty? 

My understanding of the new deal is that the travel funds for flights cancelled due to the Coronavirus are good for one year from the scheduled date of the flights that were cancelled. The regular rules are that travel funds are good for one year from the time of purchase.

This is a big difference, I purchased the flights for our Easter Week family cruise last September and rescheduled the cruise and flights to late July which was no problem. If our cruise is a no go again in July it is good to know I can use the travel funds until next July if I have to reschedule again. 

I know you can cancel and rebook as many times as you like as long as the travel funds do not expire and there is never a penalty.  You should be good to go for October, love Southwest! 

• Thanks 1

Here is the email I received for my uncle's trip we cancelled down to FL this pass week.

Additional Flexibility if You Need to Adjust Your Travel Plans

With the unprecedented cancellations of events and foreign countries issuing travel restrictions, we understand your travel plans may change. So, we have made additional changes to our already very flexible policies.

If you decide not to travel, as long as you cancel your flight before its departure, the funds used to pay for a nonrefundable ticket are normally valid for one year from the date of purchase. However, in recognition of the current travel environment, we are extending the expiration date of some travel funds:

o

Customers' funds that have expired or will expire between March 1-May 31, 2020, will now expire June 30, 2021.

o

Any travel funds created because of a flight cancellation between March 1-May 31, 2020, will have an expiration date of June 30, 2021.

o

It will take our Technology Teams a few weeks to make these changes, and once you're ready to use these funds, simply reference the PNR number on the reservation and use it as you would use "store credit" at most retail establishments.

Also, any travel planned through the end of April can be changed online for up to 60 days from the original date of travel without paying any difference in fare if you are traveling between the same origin and destination.

A-List Preferred, A-List, and Companion Pass Qualification

I know many of our A-List Preferred, A-List, and Companion Pass Members–or those working to qualify for these benefits–have questions about how the current environment may impact their ability to qualify for status this year. While I don't have an answer for you today, we are closely monitoring this situation, and we will follow-up at the appropriate time on how we will address this situation.

Upcoming Schedule Revisions

We are aggressively managing our business so that we can continue to serve you and deliver the Hospitality you expect from Southwest Airlines® into the future. If one of your upcoming flights is impacted, you will receive a notification from us making you aware of the change. Wait times to speak to a Representative in our call centers are likely to be very high, but you can always make modifications online.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Rapid Rewards Corona Virus Update 4-16-20

Select travel funds extended through September 7, 2022

Previously, Customers’ travel funds that have expired or would have expired between March 1 – June 30, 2020, or travel funds created because of a cancellation between March 1 – June 30, 2020, had an expiration date of June 30, 2021. Now we are expanding the window of funds eligible for extended expiration dates and extending the expiration date of these funds. Funds that are set to expire or funds that are created between March 1, 2020 and September 7, 2020, will have an expiration date of September 7, 2022.

This gives Customers who had travel funds created in connection with this pandemic—or who won’t be comfortable traveling this summer—additional time to retake that same trip or explore a different destination. It also gives those Rapid Rewards Members who are working toward earning tier status or a Companion Pass more opportunities to fly by their respective qualifying deadlines.

It will take our Technology Team a few days to make these changes. It’s important to note, while these unused travel funds will be available until September 7, 2022, once the funds are used to make a purchase, the expiration date of the travel funds will then follow our normal ticketing rules and will expire 12 months from the date of purchase.

For example:

• Your original unused travel funds with confirmation number OLD111 expired on March 19, 2020.
  • These unused travel funds were extended to an expiration date of September 7, 2022.
  • You use some of those funds on August 1, 2020 to book new travel in September under confirmation number NEW111.
  • If for some reason you need to cancel this new flight, your unused travel funds associated with confirmation number NEW111 will be valid for 12 months from the booking date which means they will expire August 1, 2021.
  • Any remaining unused travel funds tied to OLD111 will be available through September 7, 2022.
Edited by carlacruz