Timing car rentals and excursions

creusplay

Hi everyone,

We are thinking of renting a car at each of the five ports that we will be stopping at. We would also like to book some tours such as snorkeling through local Hawaiian companies.

Just wondering if anyone knows how long it generally takes to disembark from the cruise ship, get the shuttle to the car rental place, and actually get the car? If we have some idea then we can decide what time would be safe to book a trip with a local tour company.

Thanks!

We did it back in August POAM.

Booked cars on every island, a few "excursions", got married, and somehow managed to pull it off without a hitch.

We didn't use NCL for any excursions, didn't like the idea of being on busses and adhering to their schedule. And I'm sure we saved a bundle.

Hope this helps, all numbers local.

*Oahu, We did a prestay at the Waikiki Marriot and used hertz.

Theres a hertz desk in the hotel (closes at 5 Pm) and another a couple of blocks down (closes at 7 or 8).

We went to Pearl Harbor and the Arizona our 1st day.

We snorkled with Dolphin Excursions on our 2nd. If you're doing a pre or post stay on Oahu and have the time this is THE excursion!

We were surrounded by at least 2 dozen dolphins, and the crew treated everyone like family. i just can't say enough nice things about these guy's!

*Hilo we also used hertz (808)924-1681 and spent the whole day driving and hiking around Volcanoes Park.

(Be sure to tell Ernie Aloha, if he's driving your bus)

*Maui we used Alamo (808) 871-6235, got hitched on day one :D, drove Hana on day 2.

I would reccomend doing Hana on your 1st day, we would have except our wedding had to be on that day. This will give you plenty of time to do the whole trip without watching the clock.

*Kona was enterprize (808) 331-2509. There's an enterprize only a few blocks from the pier and they'll pick you up. The shuttles will take you to the airport and we figured it was going to eat up too much time.

This is a tender port and if you get to where the tender tickets are being handed out EARLY, you shouldn't have a problem getting off the ship early.

Enterpize doesn't open until 8 am, we were off the ship with time to spare. We met them at the King Kam hotel (right at the pier). just a little after 8am.

We spent the morning at Kahalu'u Beach Park, and then snorkled Kealakekua Bay with Sea Quest. I would highly reccomend both.

I'm pretty sure there is a shuttle that will take you from the pier to Kahalu'u and this would be a great way to spend the day without the expense and driving. It was a great spot, turtles and fish were plentiful.

*Kauai was Alamo again (808)246-0645

Day 1 we drove Waimea Canyon, did a little hiking, and then did a helicopter tour with Inter Island Helicopters. They fly with the doors off and I can't say enough about what a great time this was.

Day 2 ended up being cut short by NCL so we dropped the car off the nite before and spent the morning at the beach next to the pier, Kalapaki I believe.

We had a red eye flight out our last day so we got a car at the airport, and a day room at Best Western (808) 836-3636 to drop our luggage and get a shower before leaving.

We used Ncl's transfer to the airport and United ended up letting us check our luggage early (contrary to what they had told us before our trip) so we only had our carry on. So we pretty much had two expensive showers.

However I have to agree with Shoreguy, I was sure glad to have taken a hot shower before that long flight home, and I bet the guy next to me on the plane was just as glad weather he knew it or not :eek:

So there it is, I'm not sure how much luck had to do with our success off the ship, I know it wouldn't have been possible without the help of these boards.

Mahalo again to all of you!!!

Thanks for all your info. Can you recall how far of a drive it was to Waimeea Canyon from the port. You mention the beach Kalopaki is that walking distance from Nawiliwili where the boat docks ? What was the port like , any shopping , how was the beach ? we also plan our second day in Kuai to be a relaxing one.

Thanks,

DGK

DGK,

Not sure exactly how long of a drive direct from the pier, we made some stops along the way. I'm gonna say about an hour. Driving Kauai is a lot like driving the road to Hana, how long it takes depends on how many stops you make along the way to marvel at the views.

Nawiliwili was nice , quite a few shops and the beach adjacent was a great place to spend the morning.

I know we had a great morning, nice and relaxing.

Daisy,

We booked everything well in advance, at least a month or more.

Belle,

We were picked up by shutttle and and taken to the airport at every port except for Kona, never had a reservation problem or any long waits the whole trip.

Also wanted to tell you about Salt Pond at Port allen airport on Kauai.

Only reason we found this beach was because of our helicopter tour.

There might have been about 10 people there, and we saw the best sunset of the whole trip.

Hawaiian's still pan sea salt here as they have been for generations.

Bob

Thanks Bob for answering all the questions. I feel better about the whole process. I really dislike 'micro-managing' a vacation but if we take care of most of the details before we leave, I think the trip will be much better.

This vacation is really quite expensive and we'll probably never go to Hawaii again, so our plan is to see the major sights but also have a little relaxation time too.

IBEW1: Sorry, but I have to disagree with your time estimates from the pier to Waimea Canyon. With any stops, it's easily an hour to the start of the road into the canyon. Then you have road into/up the canyon as well. IMO, it's best to plan at least 2 hours, at an absolute minimum, to get to the top lookout from the pier. If you include several stops along the way, stops at all the various lookouts along the canyon road, and a stop at Koke'e, add an extra hour. Again IMO, it's best to plan a good 4 to 5 hours (pier to pier) to do Waimea Canyon. If you want to take in other west-side sights, add more time on top of that.

As always, JMO and experience.

beachchick

Beachchick, Did you get to the Canyon by a car rental or NCL excursion ? IBEW1 you mentioned you rented the car. We were thinking of this day doing the NCL excursion rather than the car rental any comments on the bus or the drive on your own ?

I appreciate so much all your advice,

DGK

IBEW1: Sorry, but I have to disagree with your time estimates from the pier to Waimea Canyon. With any stops, it's easily an hour to the start of the road into the canyon. Then you have road into/up the canyon as well. IMO, it's best to plan at least 2 hours, at an absolute minimum, to get to the top lookout from the pier. If you include several stops along the way, stops at all the various lookouts along the canyon road, and a stop at Koke'e, add an extra hour. Again IMO, it's best to plan a good 4 to 5 hours (pier to pier) to do Waimea Canyon. If you want to take in other west-side sights, add more time on top of that.

As always, JMO and experience.

beachchick

Thanks beachchick,

We were all over that morning, and I got pretty buzzed drinkin heinekins with the locals at Salt Pond after our helicopter tour.

Yeah, the more I think about it is a pretty good trek up to the top.

I know it was around 10:00 pm when we got back to the ship.

Thanks again,

Bob

IBEW1: No problem; it is hard to keep track of time. I just have this thing for not trying to rush through activities in order to cram in as much as possible, so I always suggest more than the minimum. Some things aren't worth doing if you hurry--guess "hang loose" has rubbed off onto me. LOL.

DGK: We rented a car; we always rent a car. Our Waimea Canyon day happened to be on a cruise, so I can tell you that it's a piece of cake for pick up and drop off. The airport is close by and rental companies have shuttles at the pier.

Rent a car if you can. The driving is not hard, and it's kind of hard to get lost because there aren't all that many roads. It's the best way to go.

beachchick

Archived