Spring Breakers in March??

dopey1o1

This will be my first time on a cruise, my folks reccomended Norwegian because of the "freestyle" atmosphere and our group being younger(21-25) we wont be held to specific times for meals. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what to expect on the "Sun" during our march 11, trip?? I haven't heard too much about "breakers" crowding the ships, but should I expect young children and retirees at this same time?

The short answer is yes. Our school system typically has one of the latest spring breaks, always the first full week of April. I have a number of friends in teaching throughout the country and would like them to join us, but they're usually finished with their breaks two or three weeks before our's begins. You can expect quite a few families, but probably not an huge increase in the number of seniors.

The main thing is for you all to enjoy, and let the rest of the passengers enjoy as well.;)

I'm taking the Majesty out of charleston on that exact date (March 11th) In my research, I've come across multiple reveiws that have stated the high number of college aged students at that time of the year. i offer these theories (at least for my cruise)

1. Price- it's not a little known fact that NCL has some of the best deals going in the cruise world. The prices are on the lower end and for a financially strapped college lad with some small means, it is a good deal and a nice way to run up that newly acquired credit card.

2. Itenerary- At least in my cruise's case. Cozumel. Key West. Grand Cayman? (OK, two out of three:rolleyes: ). These places could easily be on a frat boy's wish list of spring break beer bashes. I expect to see that crowd in those places at that time if I cruise there, so I certainly beleive that it has crossed the mind of more than a few of them as taking a cruise ship to get there.

3. Freestyle concept- NCL has the most laid back atmosphere of the mainstream lines (for better or for worse). In this case it's another selling point for a college kid to come aboard and enjoy the ride. The less structured schedule is appealing in their sense.

I've read reveiws on these particular dates in both good and bad lights. From 70 year old ladies who couldn't stand the rowdy behavior and late night carousing, to a more laid back set who enjoyed the livelier atmosphere, they do find common ground in the fact that the March cruises are slightly different than other times of the year. As a 27 year old guy myself, I'm beyond the rowdiness enough to put on a collared shirt and enjoy a quiet dinner but also not far enough removed to not get offended by some slightly wilder behavior. The only thing I can tell you my friend is that you will probably see more of the 18-25 group at this time on the ships than during any other time. Just be prepared for it and it will be no problem. Seeing your own age, it may be even a welcome arrangement. Myself, I'm looking forward to seeing it and chuckling at how I was just a few year earlier (Lord help me if I try to relive my glory days, the wife may toss me overboard! :p ) I did warn my in-laws who will be cruising the same itenerary as me two weeks later that there could be an elevated college crowd. I know I can handle the arrangement, I just am not sure that they can as they are more the wine and cheese crowd. I can blend with both. Enjoy your trip and make the best of whatever group of ruffians they put on board with you. Sometimes the older ones are much rowdier than the young crowd :eek: . they can teach you some things if you let em. LOL! :D :p

come back afterwards and we can compare drunk college kid stories and just what silly things they did. LOL!

We've taken two cruises with higher student populations on board (DAWN 1/2006, before second semester started) and 3/2005 (SUN) and I thought everyone was well behaved. On both cruises each captain strongly warned "all hands" that if anyone created a disturbance, they would be put off the ship at the next port. We really enjoyed both cruises and wouldn't hesitate to take another during the time periods.

Our honeymoon cruise is on the jewel on march 12th. I asked this question a looooooooooooong time ago and got different answers....But recently I have seen a website floating around on CC listing the colleges and when thier spring breaks are. To me it looked like March 12 week is the largest group of spring breakers. Sorry I dont have that website on hand. But this is my opinion....any vacation is better than no vacation at all...spring break or not.

Sorry to disappoint but March 12th week is spring break in Canada....

This is for elementary, high school and some colleges.

Many of my friends and colleagues travel this week...

There are 8 of us travelling on the Jewel (4 adults 4 children)

I am with above post...any cruise is better than no cruise and it is what you make of it!

Enjoy and dont worry about it!

And many colleges are missing from that list! Good thing not all spring breakers go on cruises .. ;)

BTW, many years ago we went to Disney World in March when we thought was not Spring break, since it falls during Easter week in NY. Well, were we surprised at the very large crowds, all with Southern accents; Spring Break.

Though the weeks of March 12th and 19th will be the major spring break for colleges not a whole lot of college kids cruise except for the 3 or 4 day cruises: 1 reason, even a cheap cruise isn't cheap, 2nd the age restriction makes it a little difficult for them to book cabins. Of course there will be many more on these cruises than mid winter, but I wouldn't worry too much. Yes, there will be many families cruising. NMnita

I am also from Ontario, my dh is a teacher so we always travel this week in March. I think the Texas must also have this week off. When we were in Dinsey in 2004 everyone was from Texas then last year on the cruise from Mobile, Al again there were many Texans on board. We had a great time last year everyone was very nice and there seemed to be a good mix of families and college students.

We were on the Majesty 7-night cruise in March last year and there LOTS of spring breakers!! I did not let them upset my vacation, but I must admit I was concerned for their safety many times. They definitely took over the hot tub area and had public displays of affection you wouldn't want your little ones to see!

That being said, there are plenty of quiet places to go and lots to do that they will not be interested in...

Hey Dopey-

I'll be on the Sun on March 11 as well. It's our spring break at UCF and we have a group of 12 21-24 year olds going. I suspect there will be alot more like us on that cruise as well.

Hopefully we can grab a beer or somethin on board!

-chris

I'm a college junior from JMU in Virginia, and I understand the concern about traveling with a lot of spring breakers...I'm traveling out of NYC on the Spirit on 3/5, and I just want to let everyone know that it's unfair to judge right away...not that you shouldn't be concerned, but I'm traveling with my two roommates and we intend to have a great time, NOT be disruptive. As a 21-year-old, I'm used to getting dirty looks upon simply ENTERING a place where families or older couples are, as they seem to immediately expect that myself and the other people in my age group are there to cause a raucous and raise hell. Please respect that we also paid a lot of money for this vacation (a well-deserved vacation, in many cases), and a lot of us chose a cruise instead of going to Cancun or some other party city simply because we didn't want to spend our spring break in that hedonistic of an atmosphere. All I ask is that you don't prejudge; if you have problems, please speak up about it, but don't immediately assume that all of your week's problems will be due to spring breakers...at my school, at least, the students are often better behaved then the locals...just keep that in mind...and have a great cruise :)

I look forward to the younger crowd myself, being a man of 27 with the DW 25. I'm pretty much up for anything when it comes to a trip. I'm just as at home listening to a piano and sipping a martini as I am drinking a beer and listing to an overly-loud DJ. I hope the college kids are well behaved, or otherwise I'll have to keep the DW elbowing me to keep me from partiicpating in the revelry. LOL! :D

Archived