Smoking Areas on Iona

Suebiker

9 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I think the vaping being referred to here, are those silly machines that emit huge clouds of scented steam and mainly used as "show". My husband vapes with a view to stopping smoking more easily and healthily. He has a small vape that emits a small amount of unscented steam. He's careful when he uses it not be a nuisance even when  using it in the designated areas of the ship. Yes, he knows it's a bad habit, and one that he has been trying to break, and for the first time in 20 years he's found something that's working. After 18 months he's much healthier and has reduced his intake significantly. So please don't tar all troublesome, annoying, antisocial vapers with the same brush. We all have a different tale to tell. I thought I'd share ours.

Avril 

Point taken Avril. 

I don't know enough about them to understand the different types, I just get to inhale these sweet, sickly fumes that highlight to me that it must be an increased risk of spreading Covid as you cannot avoid them. 

I am not anti smoking or vaping and up til now have never let it bother me, but when you can taste it... 

Andy 

35 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Point taken Avril. 

I don't know enough about them to understand the different types, I just get to inhale these sweet, sickly fumes that highlight to me that it must be an increased risk of spreading Covid as you cannot avoid them. 

I am not anti smoking or vaping and up til now have never let it bother me, but when you can taste it... 

Andy 

I’m with you Andy. Nothing worse than being engulfed in a cloud of sickly smelling vapour that has been emitted from someone’s mouth. Covid-19 or not, it’s revolting. I don’t see why they need to be designed like that. Surely people should be able to suck in a flavour without having to emit a comically large cloud that affects others? I’d like to know the stats as to what proportion of smokers have permanently given up all forms of smoking after a period on vapes. Some obviously have, but many others just seem to have moved on to vaping permanently and the numbers who have used vaping as a short term route to stopping altogether needs to be offset against the numbers of young people who may never have started smoking cigarettes but see vaping as a ‘cool’ thing to do. 

Andy and Selbourne 

Don't for one moment think that I condone smoking, I don't. It's been a bone of contention between Frank and I for a very long time, and he's tried many different ways to stop. This vaping works, but just like antidepressants etc, it's been abused. Vaping was devised as an aid to stopping smoking, and for Frank it's working. From 10 cigarettes a day he now uses the vape 3 times a day, instead of 7 when he began with it and has also lowered the nicotine strength.  He even tries to persuade other cigarette smokers to try it. It's just unfortunate that it's now been turned into another disgusting antisocial pastime.

Avril 

41 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Andy and Selbourne 

Don't for one moment think that I condone smoking, I don't. It's been a bone of contention between Frank and I for a very long time, and he's tried many different ways to stop. This vaping works, but just like antidepressants etc, it's been abused. Vaping was devised as an aid to stopping smoking, and for Frank it's working. From 10 cigarettes a day he now uses the vape 3 times a day, instead of 7 when he began with it and has also lowered the nicotine strength.  He even tries to persuade other cigarette smokers to try it. It's just unfortunate that it's now been turned into another disgusting antisocial pastime.

Avril 

The one good thing I've noticed is that younger people are not picking up the habit as much as they used to.

When i was a teenager, it was "cool" to smoke and yet now, the prevailing opinion is that it's disgusting. It's generally those who have smoked a long time and not given up now.

15 minutes ago, Scratchrat said:

When i was a teenager, it was "cool" to smoke and yet now, the prevailing opinion is that it's disgusting. It's generally those who have smoked a long time and not given up now.

Not only was it 'cool ' to smoke, but some doctors even smoked in the surgery. My mother suffered from depression and was told by her doctor to start smoking as it would help. The problem is, smoking is highly addictive and by the time they realised how deadly it was, it was too late. It's not so easy to stop as many believe.

Avril 

Edited by Adawn47

56 minutes ago, Scratchrat said:

The one good thing I've noticed is that younger people are not picking up the habit as much as they used to.

I think its due to some nice propaganda of a healthy life style that we see pop up more frequently these days. I think young people see how people are dying of these horrible deseases connected to smoking plus all that situation with Covid adds up so I think its quite clear that we will see less people smoking very soon

2 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

I think its due to some nice propaganda of a healthy life style that we see pop up more frequently these days. I think young people see how people are dying of these horrible deseases connected to smoking plus all that situation with Covid adds up so I think its quite clear that we will see less people smoking very soon

It helps that instead of smoking being cool, we're seeing things like organic food being cool 😛

2 hours ago, Scratchrat said:

It helps that instead of smoking being cool, we're seeing things like organic food being cool 😛

Not certain that mulching salad crops with farmyard manure is the best way to grow healthy crops.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 9 months later...

As an ex – smoker and current mild vaper I should like to add my thoughts to this discussion.

You will find that ex-smokers, who use vaping as a crutch to help us stop smoking, tend to use a vape device that emits a small amount of vapour.  The idea for us is to try to replicate the action of smoking a cigarette without the dangers of actually smoking tobacco.

The people you see vaping and producing a huge clouds of vapour, tend to be teenagers or young people, who, as young people do, are trying to make some form of statement. (Sub-ohm vapers). Since I stopped smoking 6 years ago, I have yet to come across any sub-ohm vapers on a cruise ship.

On the covid-19 thing. It is now well known that the virus can be transmitted by the droplets that people exhale when breathing, coughing and sneezing or vaping.    Short story.    When in a queue outside M+S last year, a guy near the front of the queue was vaping while waiting to get into the store.  A woman in front of me commented to her husband about the cloud of vapour that the guy had produced.  Her husband replied to her, well if the guy vaping had the virus, at least you can now see how far the virus would be able to travel just through the act of breathing. She, I and the people around us quickly put on our masks.

Stay safe