Cruise Critic News: Costa Cruises Extends Fleet Suspension Through May 30

LauraS

• Administrators

(Updated 6:58 a.m. EDT) -- In light of the continued spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus throughout the world, Costa Cruises has announced it is extending its fleet suspension through May 30, 2020. The move follows Costa's announcement of the suspension of all operations in China on January 25, followed by the line's global fleet suspension on ...

news?d=yIl2AUoC8zA news?d=qj6IDK7rITs
bWxF7IBTS3s

View the full article

While this certainly has cause us losing our beloved cruises we must all hope that the whole industry will survive & once over we can cruise again.

This has hit every type of travel & will take a long time to recover from. When that time comes' I hope people will get back to cruising &  the cruise Companies do not increase their prices too much.

I feel that this forum is not being supported as well as it should in good times as well as the bad. It has always given us a platform to air our views now it seem deserted.

Edited by tenpin
spelling

Hi tenpin let me be the first reply to your post.

Yesterday I had an email from Costa cruises telling me my cruise has been cancelled. this has been quite obvious now for some time but Costa have been in denial.

They said that because they had cancelled the cruise I would have to accept a voucher for a later cruise. this cruise must be booked by later this year and taken by next. This is simply unacceptable! I emailed them straight away to inform them that I would not accept this and that I required a refund.

Today I received an email from them saying that as I refused the voucher they consider my cruise cancelled and I am not entitled to any refund.

So as for losing a beloved cruise and the wish that the whole industry will survive, I am afraid I cannot agree with you.

I can only hope that some of the terribly greedy companies to which you refer disappear never to be seen again.

To this I put Costa cruises at the top together with their smirking CEO who stares out at me every time I go to their site.

We can only hope the good and honest survive and the others disappear. 

With regard to your wish for them not increasing their prices too much........you need to get out more!

It may have skipped your notice but Italy is in lockdown, and up to eight days ago there has been no contact  with staff.

Why is it unacceptable? You booked a cruise with them it is NOT Costa but Carnival who runs the show. Now you will not accept a cruise next year.

Your loss my gain.

27 minutes ago, tenpin said:

It may have skipped your notice but Italy is in lockdown, and up to eight days ago there has been no contact  with staff.

Why is it unacceptable? You booked a cruise with them it is NOT Costa but Carnival who runs the show. Now you will not accept a cruise next year.

Your loss my gain.

This is simply not true. I and many others have been in constant contact with Costa since the lockdown.

"Why is it unacceptable"? I am sorry, but what planet are you living on? Just to point out that Costa are doing their own thing, irrespective as to what Carnival are doing. Just before the lockdown Costa were insisting that you take the cruise or loose your money, hardly the same as Carnival. Look at the way Carnival are handling their customers in relation to the shameful way Costa are behaving. Again Costa are doing their own thing, and its going to cost them dear. I also agree that the president and senior management of Costa should be removed as their handling of all this from the get go has been utterly appalling. 

I find it amazing that you think its acceptable to pay for a cruise and for the cruise company to cancel, and you have no right to your money back, what an appalling way of thinking. Would you pay and buy a brand new car only for the dealer to tell you, that they can no longer give you the car but you purchase a dearer car later on or get a voucher for the money paid, but you cannot have your money back?

I am sorry, but I find your answer to Easternclients to be quite breath taking. 

Edited by gerryuk
  • Like 1

This is not in line with the legally binding contract that I signed. Check your terms and conditions and persue for full cash refund if that what it states you are entitled to.

They can't vary your TS and C's unilaterally.  

3 hours ago, easternclients said:

Hi tenpin let me be the first reply to your post.

Yesterday I had an email from Costa cruises telling me my cruise has been cancelled. this has been quite obvious now for some time but Costa have been in denial.

They said that because they had cancelled the cruise I would have to accept a voucher for a later cruise. this cruise must be booked by later this year and taken by next. This is simply unacceptable! I emailed them straight away to inform them that I would not accept this and that I required a refund.

Today I received an email from them saying that as I refused the voucher they consider my cruise cancelled and I am not entitled to any refund.

So as for losing a beloved cruise and the wish that the whole industry will survive, I am afraid I cannot agree with you.

I can only hope that some of the terribly greedy companies to which you refer disappear never to be seen again.

To this I put Costa cruises at the top together with their smirking CEO who stares out at me every time I go to their site.

We can only hope the good and honest survive and the others disappear. 

With regard to your wish for them not increasing their prices too much........you need to get out more!

Excellent post, I agree with everything you say. Contact Costa and if possible tape the conversation, request your money back, again. If they refuse ask them for contact details of their legal department as you will have to give these details to your lawyer, then sue them.

The same old moans about Costa as usual, as I have said before if you don't like it don't booked with them. You are still moaning about an Italian line with the same moaning as ten years ago on this forum.

I got future cruise allowance for our two cruises & all my extra expenditure back from my comprehensive TRAVEL INSUREANCE if you did not take out good insurance it's your fault.

Trouble is most passengers never read the full terms and conditions.

You are just taking over this thread by repeating what has already been posted about elsewhere many times.

This was about supporting Cruise Critic in this time of problems for the whole cruising Companies.

Edited by tenpin