What happens to OBC?

Does anybody know what happens to OBC if either I or RCCL cancels a cruise?  I have about $500 OBC on July 3 Ovation cruise, but fully expect it to be canceled.  I will likely seek refund vs FCC due to volatile cruise conditions over next 12-18 months.

Just now, robntawn said:

Does anybody know what happens to OBC if either I or RCCL cancels a cruise?  I have about $500 OBC on July 3 Ovation cruise, but fully expect it to be canceled.  I will likely seek refund vs FCC due to volatile cruise conditions over next 12-18 months.

If you take a refund, you lose the OBC.  If you take the FCC and the OBC is not a promotional refund, it goes with the FCC.  For example, my SIL had a OBC due to a dry dock cancellation.  So when she got her FCC and rebooked another cruise, her OBC went with. 

1 hour ago, karena1 said:

If you take a refund, you lose the OBC.  If you take the FCC and the OBC is not a promotional refund, it goes with the FCC.  For example, my SIL had a OBC due to a dry dock cancellation.  So when she got her FCC and rebooked another cruise, her OBC went with. 

Does it matter if I cancel vs they cancel?

23 minutes ago, siren said:

I had a b2b that was booked on board with a 400.00 OBC for March 28.  They wouldn't give it to me.

It depends on what the OBC was from.

What will happen to my client’s onboard credit, now that their sailing is cancelled?
Any CEL Future Cruise / RCI Next Cruise / AZA Cruise Again onboard credits will be re-applied to your client’s future reservation. Additionally, if your client has an onboard credit as a result of a redeployment, charter, or other goodwill gesture, it can carry over to their future reservation; however, if your client cancels, the onboard credit will be forfeited. Any promotional onboard credit will not be protected; Upon rebooking, your clients can take advantage of the promotional offer available in market at that time.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It depends on what the OBC was from.

What will happen to my client’s onboard credit, now that their sailing is cancelled?
Any CEL Future Cruise / RCI Next Cruise / AZA Cruise Again onboard credits will be re-applied to your client’s future reservation. Additionally, if your client has an onboard credit as a result of a redeployment, charter, or other goodwill gesture, it can carry over to their future reservation; however, if your client cancels, the onboard credit will be forfeited. Any promotional onboard credit will not be protected; Upon rebooking, your clients can take advantage of the promotional offer available in market at that time.

Do you know if the reapplication of qualified OBC to a future reservation applies if you are taking the refund option as opposed to the FCC for a cruise cancelled by RCI?

And, as others have already said, I so appreciate all the information and assistance you have been providing throughout this period.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, splashsmom said:

Do you know if the reapplication of qualified OBC to a future reservation applies if you are taking the refund option as opposed to the FCC for a cruise cancelled by RCI?

And, as others have already said, I so appreciate all the information and assistance you have been providing throughout this period.

Unfortunately if you cancel (refund) you will lose the OBC. 

1 hour ago, splashsmom said:

What is the OBC from?

On 4/17/2020 at 1:37 PM, karena1 said:

Does it matter if I cancel vs they cancel?

I am the OP and thank everyone for their responses. I have some clarifying information and further questions and am hoping someone has information. 

let’s say for the sake of argument that Ovation 7/3 gets canceled due to Covid. I have $400 OBC as goodwill from RCCL and $100 OBC from my TA on that cruise. My understanding is that the OBC goes away if I take cash refund, regardless whether I cancel or Royal cancels. If I take FCC instead, can I apply it to 1-2 cruises that I already have booked (deposits only) in 2021?  The same TA has both 2021 bookings, so will the OBC also transfer?

9 minutes ago, robntawn said:

I am the OP and thank everyone for their responses. I have some clarifying information and further questions and am hoping someone has information. 

let’s say for the sake of argument that Ovation 7/3 gets canceled due to Covid. I have $400 OBC as goodwill from RCCL and $100 OBC from my TA on that cruise. My understanding is that the OBC goes away if I take cash refund, regardless whether I cancel or Royal cancels. If I take FCC instead, can I apply it to 1-2 cruises that I already have booked (deposits only) in 2021?  The same TA has both 2021 bookings, so will the OBC also transfer?

If you make a new reservation you can transfer the goodwill OBC to that booking.  Yes you can use the FCC on bookings that you already have  You would have to ask your TA about their OBC

I had a booking that RCL cancelled that had redeployment OBC on it.  I made a new booking and then called and got the redeployment OBC put on it.  I am going to get a refund on the cancelled booking.  I was not asked if I was getting a refund or a FCC when I called. 

Edited by molly361

19 minutes ago, molly361 said:

If you make a new reservation you can transfer the goodwill OBC to that booking.  Yes you can use the FCC on bookings that you already have  You would have to ask your TA about their OBC

I had a booking that RCL cancelled that had redeployment OBC on it.  I made a new booking and then called and got the redeployment OBC put on it.  I am going to get a refund on the cancelled booking.  I was not asked if I was getting a refund or a FCC when I called. 

Thanks so much for providing this new information!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, robntawn said:

You would keep the goodwill OBC.  It would be up to the TA to decide whether or not they will give you their OBC on the next booking. 

We were given a gift certificate for OBC as a Christmas gift and applied it to our now cancelled Alaska cruise, I would think that would be cancelled and available for future use so that we can apply it to an already booked cruise we have in 2021.  I hope RCI honors that.

1 minute ago, JeffT237 said:

We were given a gift certificate for OBC as a Christmas gift and applied it to our now cancelled Alaska cruise, I would think that would be cancelled and available for future use so that we can apply it to an already booked cruise we have in 2021.  I hope RCI honors that.

You would want to call to make sure that gets processed correctly.  Since the Gift certificate is used to purchase OBC I could see that getting lost unless you intervene. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You would want to call to make sure that gets processed correctly.  Since the Gift certificate is used to purchase OBC I could see that getting lost unless you intervene. 

I agree, I foresee having to intervene but I'll wait for things to settle down a bit.  First hurdle is waiting for our cruise to be refunded then we will deal with the OBC. 

Just now, JeffT237 said:

I agree, I foresee having to intervene but I'll wait for things to settle down a bit.  First hurdle is waiting for our cruise to be refunded then we will deal with the OBC. 

Has your cruise been cancelled?  If so then call, don’t wait the 30 to 60 days for the refund to show up 

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Has your cruise been cancelled?  If so then call, don’t wait the 30 to 60 days for the refund to show up 

Yes we were cancelled by RCI and in the "30 day" waiting period.  I've been active on the other threads about refunds on the boards so I am aware of the issues with the refund delays.  

Anyone know if there’s a refund for an OBC amount as the result of reward points from a RCCL Visa card?   Royal just cancelled the cruise, and our only OBC showing on the cruise planner is the amount provided as the result of RCCL credit card redeemed points.  Thanks in advance.  

36 minutes ago, Hal from Ohio said:

Anyone know if there’s a refund for an OBC amount as the result of reward points from a RCCL Visa card?   Royal just cancelled the cruise, and our only OBC showing on the cruise planner is the amount provided as the result of RCCL credit card redeemed points.  Thanks in advance.  

No refund but that obc can be transferred to another booking

Edited by molly361
  • Like 1