tubing and beach

waitin4acruise

does anyone know if u just want to do the tubing and maybe go to beach if its worth it for tour our is it cheaper to just go by taxi

My exact question! I'm not interested in climbing the falls, but possibly the tubing excursion and most of all, Reggae Beach. I've heard that beach is very quiet and has some good snorkeling from shore. I'm hesitant to rely on a taxi to get me back to the ship on time, but don't want to pay for an excursion that includes things I'm really not interested in.

When are you heading out?

We have hired Marva Shaw to do our day in Jamaica. She is going to take us to Dunn's River Falls, then to river tubing, then to Reggae Beach for the afternoon. She sounds wonderful. All for around 50.00 per person excluding 5.00 admission to the beach.

We have hired Marva Shaw to do our day in Jamaica. She is going to take us to Dunn's River Falls, then to river tubing, then to Reggae Beach for the afternoon. She sounds wonderful. All for around 50.00 per person excluding 5.00 admission to the beach.

Is that $50 pp and then you pay to get into each place? I see Reggae Beach is 5pp, but what about the rest? Is she offering that for the whole excursion? Do you have a group going?

I would not recommend taking a cab to the river tubing. It is a decent drive from the pier and I don't know that I would trust a cab driver to came back and not leave me stranded. There are several companies that will do what you want to do. Go with an operator who will provide you with a guide to get you around. The prices for tours in Ocho Rios are very reasonable.

The 50.00 includes entrance to Dunn's River Falls, tubing, and transportation. We have a group of 30. I thought we got a pretty good deal because the falls are 15, the tubing is 20. We are paying 15 per person for transportation. We have to pay the 5 dollars admission to Reggae beach. Just knowing that our transportation will be handled promptly and having Marva as our guide is a peace of mind.

I would not recommend taking a cab to the river tubing. It is a decent drive from the pier and I don't know that I would trust a cab driver to came back and not leave me stranded. There are several companies that will do what you want to do. Go with an operator who will provide you with a guide to get you around. The prices for tours in Ocho Rios are very reasonable.

I second this- I would not try and just take a cab to the river for tubing. The area is "off the beaten path"- stick with a company that has good reviews. The area is not a place I would want to be at the mercy of the locals while waiting for a taxi to come from town. (I'm not saying that I felt as though I was about to be mugged- I was just glad we had a van waiting at the end.)

• 3 weeks later...

We are a family of 4, so renting a small car is more economical--under 50 for the car. We are planning on doing tubing and a beach. Is it that hard to find the tubing place? Where is it? ANd which beaches would you recommend. How far from the port(Ocho Rios...NOS Oct 17 will be in Jamaica!)

Inshape,

Have you ever driven in Jamaica before? If not, you may want to rethink renting a car. I would rather drive the Daytona 500 than attempt to navigate the roads in Jamaica!!!

LOL, this is truly a "public service announcement!"

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from our trip with Marva. She was wonderful to our group. I asked for her the minute I got off the ship and then it was minutes before our group of 30 was wisked off to the river for tubing. We only saw a handful of people on the river. At first I was nervous because the river was running so swiftly...but when all the kids were screaming with delight, I knew we were in for a fun adventure. The guys that guide you down the river work really hard to make sure that everyone is safe. After we were done, the kids wanted to go again. The river is beautiful and the scenery in awesome. After our river tubing we boarded the bus and went to the falls. I was kind of shocked at the number of people going up the falls. I remember doing the falls about 18 years ago and didn't remember how strenuous the climb is. My son is 9 years old and it was tough for him. Our group stayed together and we made it up safely....I am amazed that there is not a lot of injuries every day. We saw 2 people fall very hard. All I kept thinking was someone was going to fall and take everyone out like a bowling ball. This is not an activity for inactive people. Fortunately, everyone in our group loved it and the falls are beautiful. Once we conquered the falls, the bus wisked us to Reggae Beach. The beach is beautiful and uncrowded. The food was just okay, but cheap. Jerk chicken, 5 bucks. Chicken nuggets for the kids, 4 bucks. Cheap beer too. Marva's bus stayed at the beach the entire time. I was impressed, because every time we would leave the bus....the driver would lock it up to ensure the safety of all our things left on board. After the beach, we went in to town for shopping. Then off to the pier for boarding the ship. I would recommend Marva's service to everyone. We paid 60.00 per adult and 44.00 per child (12 and under). That included everything except food at the beach. Jamaica was the best excursion of the whole cruise. Everyone in our group agreed that Jamaica is the best and Marva made it a memorable day for all.

I am NOT renting a car since all of the posts are so against it. When I compare a Peat or Phil tour with rental of the car it works out pretty much to the same cost. We just wanted to go to the tubing (4 of us) and then to Margarittaville to swim. The kids will like that after the tubing we thought.

Have lunch there and have some fun there would be just what we wanted to do. Thanks for the info

Archived