Potential Norwegian Cruise Line Bankruptcy: What should a traveller do?

time391

10 hours ago, *Luv2Cruz* said:

Thinking of doing the same with the same card and have a few questions.

What is the process to dispute, what was the reason you stated for the dispute, and how long should it take to receive your money back? TIA

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I had to call because the charge was back in November. I told them that NCL cancelled the cruise and offered a full refund but after 7 weeks, I had not received said refund. The claim was for services and/or product not received. They asked for the letter I received on board the ship (we were on a B2B cruise) that states they cancelled the cruise and said they would refund 100% of the fare. I faxed that to them as requested.

They informed me that it could take up to billing cycles to complete the investigation, but during that time no payment or interest would be required. The account has a zero balance so there was no payment or interest anyway.

My bid upgrade was billed to a different credit card (Chase) and they issued a temporary credit and said the same thing about 2 billing cycles.

As soon as the claim is resolved I will cancel the BOA NCL Card. I have no use for it as I will never give NCL another dime.

Edited by wvacations

I had to call because the charge was back in November. I told them that NCL cancelled the cruise and offered a full refund but after 7 weeks, I had not received said refund. The claim was for services and/or product not received. They asked for the letter I received on board the ship (we were on a B2B cruise) that states they cancelled the cruise and said they would refund 100% of the fare. I faxed that to them as requested.

They informed me that it could take up to billing cycles to complete the investigation, but during that time no payment or interest would be required. The account has a zero balance so there was no payment or interest anyway.

My bid upgrade was billed to a different credit card (Chase) and they issued a temporary credit and said the same thing about 2 billing cycles.

As soon as the claim is resolved I will cancel the BOA NCL Card. I have no use for it as I will never give NCL another dime.

Thank you![emoji5]

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What should one do?  Monitor the situation, consider the source of the information.  In this case, it was the audit folks who reported it, and I think they're required to.  Only a couple of days later, all was well.  Any travel provider is in a very bad position right now.  Just do what makes sense to you, and remember that bad news travels 95 times as fast as good news, so sit back and do some analysis.

On 5/5/2020 at 7:22 PM, time391 said:

Hello fellow cruisers,

I was originally slated for a trip on May 9th from Barcelona, Spain in the Mediterranean and it was cancelled due to COVID-19 issues, so I received the cruise credit.

Today, I read some financial news coming out of potential bankruptcy:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article242506646.html

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sergeiklebnikov/2020/05/05/norwegian-cruise-line-stock-plunges-20-after-company-warns-of-possible-bankruptcy/#2f3883f3481e

https://www.ibtimes.com/norwegian-cruises-warns-bankruptcy-filing-will-cruise-line-survive-2970731

What should cruisers do? Will we need to go to court and be claimants in a bankruptcy filing?

I don't know if a cruise line has ever filed for bankruptcy in my memory, so I want to ask other members. They haven't filed yet, but a preliminary SEC warning is very bad from a finance standpoint. My background is in Financial Accounting and based on experience, when I company declares there's doubt of a going concern, it's a red flare.

Our first cruise was on Premier Cruises Big Red Boat.  They had done well when they were the Disney Line, using Mickey Mouse etc. By the time we cruised on the Big Red Boat about 25 years ago Disney had started  their own cruiseline and the Big Red Boat was using Loony Tune characters without much success. About five years after our cruise the ships were repossessed at ports in the middle of their cruises stranding passengers and crews alike. So it can be really weird when a cruise line goes belly up. 

If NCL goes under, you can pretty much bet that RCCL, and Carnival are in the same boat (pun intended).  MSC might survive as they do mostly shipping and transport of goods.

Of the most at risk, I’d say it would be Virgin.  They haven’t even left the dock (at least not with paying passengers) on their new ship.

I'm fairly comfortable with the big cruise lines.   It will be quite some time before any Virgin ships sail the high seas.

All my cruises are insured for insolvency so an abrupt stoppage would be really annoying but easily handled.  As usual, it's the crew and people without resources who really suffer.  Management is so awful that they can't take care of the problem and just let business screech to a halt.  I mean, how can you not notice that there's no cash to pay the expenses?  I wish all upper management of a BK corporation would be held accountable.