tzTbCn7.jpg

if6ZkNN.jpg

OAa1DmB.jpg

Jbe0SHA.jpg

I think it saw a fish... time to go.

LZ3ng6O.jpg

Time to use my CAS BOGO drink coupon. 

u8rVlf1.jpg

The suite sundeck from where I've captured many of my time lapse videos.

rVkkHAs.jpg

The standard NorthStar ride time lapse as we left Endicott Arm and re-entered the Inside Passage.

Balcony time lapse of the morning in and out of Endicott Arm. 

What a glorious day one year ago.

15 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

That glacier is much smaller then I thought it would be.

Victim of our time.  The canyon is narrow where the face of the glacier is right now.  In several decades as it continues to retreat that may change just as it has changed from where it was several decades ago.

18 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

Ah! my error. I wondered why I hadn't heard the name of this ship like I had the Nordic Prince, etc.

Interesting how the logo is so comparable to RCL's

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/RoyalCruiseLine.html#anchor29541

That site shows 2 ships that were named Royal Odyssey.  One from 1981-1988 and the other from 1990 to 1996.   As it happens we did sail the first one 3 times in the early 90' after it was renamed the Regent Sun.  And as for the Nordic Prince,  we sailed on that one to along with the Song of Norway.

I have been watching that wall in Skagway for a long time.  Our first trip up there was in 1980.  Someday I need to pull out all my old pictures to compare them.

Wow.... just wow @twangster ! I am so glad you saw the batman signal I sent you and you found us here on this thread. Absolutely awesome reliving these days through your lens.

One year ago today, May 21, 2019, we sail into Endicott Arm

1.thumb.JPG.e1b72afa21a3d6e0187d66f1ab3aeaae.JPG

We sailed by and pushed away many ice large ice flows. They don't look like much on their own without a frame of reference

2.thumb.JPG.253e759472979635f0d00063ae80053f.JPG

However look at the photo below and the size of this ice flow next to the lifeboats. Some were double the size of the lifeboats.  As Twangster mentioned, we had to navigate probably over a hundred of these rather large icebergs so to speak, and pushing them away with the bow thrusters.

3.thumb.JPG.101ab3ab6645b4775ad517ef808e5371.JPG

The scenery on the slow sail in is part of the charm of Endicott... some say it's the entire charm, as the Glacier itself is underwhelming compared to Hubbard

9.thumb.JPG.72c9a03ae46679948bee9c1ce02c6ecb.JPG

And as we close in on Dawes Glacier, the view from within the Solarium is outstanding. I can;t say enough, and if you can't see this from my photos as well as Twangster's, that Quantum Class site lines and view points from both outside and inside, are superlative over anything Radiance Class has to offer.

10.thumb.JPG.6eefa03ba4b16d9f900a6cea9142913f.JPG

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 1

Arrival to Dawes Glacier

DSC08907.JPG

DSC08918.JPG

DSC08926.JPG

IMG_4495.JPG

There was no way of knowing yet, however this was the only single 1/2 turn at the Glacier for the entire morning... this was it! About 10-15 minutes and Ovation was to pull away. So if you had a starboard balcony and expected just to sit there all day as the ship turned, you were S.O.L.

Word of advice I say on almost every Alaska thread I post in... do not sail to Alaska expecting to see a lot from your balcony. There is now way at all you can get the experiences Twangster and I did unless you are top deck.

Edited by Hoopster95

As the ship turned, I realized we were straightening out and seemingly heading away. It was exactly at this moment that I was due to go up on NorthStar. I'll skip adding video here as I believe I posted 3 or 4 videos on the full review last year.

Both my NorthStar experiences here and at Hubbard were outstanding and lifetime memories.

IMG_4496.JPG

IMG_4508.JPG

IMG_4524.JPG

IMG_4528.JPG

IMG_4529.JPG

My 20 minute session on NorthStar was the final one that had full view of Dawes... as I got off NorthStar, we were just turning the corner at the channel and Dawes began to disappear from view

IMG_4564.JPG

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 1

This is by no means the end of the incredible views.... even after 3-4 hours of sailing in at breakfast to now, we still have gorgeous views heading out of Endicott Arm .... 

IMG_4577.JPG

IMG_4608.JPG

...and into the Alaskan inside passage (from my balcony) for the next few hours as well

IMG_4612.JPG

Of course, the main attraction was the sail-in and getting to Dawes Glacier, however it was still a sea day for the rest of the afternoon, so obviously events were still scheduled and in motion throughout the ship

IMG_4609.JPG

The C&A Top Tier Party was held in Two 70, two separate sessions in order to fit everyone. Capt. Hendrik spoke

IMG_4637.JPG

IMG_4640.JPG

The evening show was again outstanding ... for those of you who only sail Oasis Class, the shows here were almost Broadway-like and the technology/sets superb

IMG_4635.JPG

The final event of the evening was Dancing with the Stripes, held to a standing room only crowd in Two70

IMG_4646.JPG

I was the star of the show!!!! .... NOT 😉 I wasn't crazy enough and didn't get the crowd going/on my side as I've done in the past, so I think I was knocked out 5th out of 10 couples. Had a great time regardless. The two finalists were totally nuts! Lots of fun, the crowd was in hysterics. 

IMG_4665.JPG

Edited by Hoopster95

After leaving Endicott Arm we were treated to a show of whales in the distance.

HqZ0gSz.jpg

KNdpjUE.jpg

iD3K5vC.jpg

CwdD51s.jpg

KTFGdiR.jpg

Taking a big gulp of air through the nostrils of the blow hole before diving.

9v1J3Ng.jpg

T1N6ghK.jpg

SpE6KAP.jpg

Xu90X6A.jpg

au1QprA.jpg

mLq7o3C.jpg

The whale watch continued from the Diamond Lounge during happy hour.

bDM1gD0.jpg

The virtual fleet sailing behind us in Two70° during top tier.

CmkRKV6.jpg

Sunset one year ago...

hXQZiqX.jpg

vnmHdm3.jpg

8TjUd32.jpg

vIMgrkS.jpg

KkgubVI.jpg

One year ago today, May 22, 2019 ...

we're sailing southbound somewhere out in the Pacific Ocean, no land in site. If I remember correctly, the past 5-6 days have been a whirlwind, and I was very grateful for a 'nothing' sea day.

IMG_4713.thumb.JPG.9c489ffa19fdf1bf9828f1a6ab69ce80.JPG

Other than the typical gym workout, Seaplex basketball, IFly, NorthStar, etc etc etc things you can do on this sailing, today was my scheduled D+ backstage tour. It was very well run and represented by the entertainers who ran the tour.

IMG_4677.thumb.JPG.c55f4ee61600771e987e880b91c1c60d.JPG

IMG_4688.thumb.JPG.b0374f5f506bc0cd3b7b17f40d1f1c7d.JPG

IMG_4693.thumb.JPG.8b16504a83d44ce6e0a48d595e5f8787.JPG

Very well attended  by the many C&A member invitees

IMG_4701.thumb.JPG.b5030bd8af28d5f877270678e269e7d7.JPG

I got to chill out up at the NorthStar bar for a bit in the afternoon and people watch as I posted on CC for almost an hour I believe that afternoon

IMG_4735.thumb.JPG.a0f49f61b5c034d56bb5912e6f53636f.JPG

And then the staff vs. guests volleyball tournament. Got to hang out at SeaPlex quite a while on this afternoon playing basketball as well.

IMG_4742.thumb.JPG.5d53bc8066a7c325d70da2bbf3fb437f.JPG

The high light of the day was for sure the evening event "Ovation Rocks" in Two70... another standing room only crowd and superb show.

IMG_4762.thumb.JPG.a4939ee5a0cccaf21e9a74d0b26267c0.JPG

The later evening show was a live performance from Journey Tribute band "DSB". They were an 11 out of 10! Lead singer sounded exactly like Steve Perry and they played perfect renditions of Oh Sherry, Separate Ways, Faithfully and Don't Stop Believin'... a superb show that was a good 2 hours long and a lasted through to around midnight if I remember correctly.

IMG_4777.thumb.JPG.c547445e8b4206122294c8909e707ab6.JPG

Edited by Hoopster95

May 23 - One Year Ago

585687795_OVCCDay11May23.jpeg.6e87ee9b139ca49ae177bc8468813f42.jpeg

Sunrise at sea

gpjUOZh.jpg

V3yf3rn.jpg

Nothing brings out a crowd like... a 2 for $20 sale! 

Fortunately deck 5 is a bypass around the deck 4 crowds.

4MF7sH7.jpg

IqkyT9Y.jpg

We abruptly slowed down when more whales were spotted.  They were pretty close this time.  

dpAvp5q.jpg

q1qdaOX.jpg

Sunset in the Strait of Juan De Fuca.

5nkBHmP.jpg

1nlfJnn.jpg

One year ago it was... time to start packing.

Thank you very much for letting me relive a wonderful cruise.  

We should be coming up the West Coast of the US right now on the Serenade but, like most everyone else, we  are drydocked.  No one know when cruising will begin again but we have cancelled everything until April of 2021.  If all goes well we will once again be sailing on the Ovation.  This time it will be Singapore to Seattle.  We are also scheduled for 2 weeks on the Ovation in August of 2021. 

here is a photo of the plaque hanging near the customer services desk of the ship being born in 2016.

also some fun Two 70 robo boxes entertainment and presentations like the kid who who the contest for the statehood flag

P5220470.JPG

P5220475.JPG

P5220479.JPG

5 hours ago, Blizzard54 said:

Thank you very much for letting me relive a wonderful cruise.  

Hopefully I'll cross paths with you again someday Blizzard54

3 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

and my final photo on the ship as well

Thanks for joining in on this memory Oceansaway 👍

One year ago today somewhere in the Pacific Ocean west of Vancouver Island, May 23, 2019.....

IMG_4793.thumb.JPG.c46ff031de9fb48657ca815ef301673f.JPG

Still no land to be seen anywhere in the morning... that will come by late afternoon

IMG_4795.thumb.JPG.abc0aea6ccbff2ccd15edaf3309f032d.JPG

Today was my turn for a bridge tour first thing in the morning. Twangster provided us some spectacular shots above and in the original review, so I'll just post a couple of my own.

IMG_4838.thumb.JPG.297e1defba4d307d2769801969b5f9d9.JPG

IMG_4846.thumb.JPG.3a84ece5b5470c1699f6c1ae3a11a8dd.JPG

IMG_4852.thumb.JPG.f1cf5b747860f31059ee99c523aeac17.JPG

Captain's Corner was held on this morning as well, and extremely well attended to a standing room only crowd in Two70. In fact, most all of the events in Two70 were standing room only... if you need a seat, you need to get there rather early. I thought Capt. Hendrik did a great job of answering and elaborating on questions. I got to ask mine about the BC inside passage, and it was confirmed that Ovation cannot pass between Vancouver Island and the main land of British Columbia like Radiance (the smaller ships) does.

IMG_4830.thumb.JPG.99b395b0c132220254886876f2f41f39.JPG

Today was another nice and easy sea day with no real pressing plans. I took photos all around the ship, and finally got a few of the main dining venues... which I only entered one the entire twelve days. If you go back to the large reviews, I was invited to MTD with friends at American Icon one evening late in the cruise, and it was not a good experience for any of us. 

IMG_4916.thumb.JPG.6037b1a50ee667a6fc70aa1a23bb0e04.JPG

You can find everything on your TV screen within your room. You can view webcams all over the ship at almost every venue, even a webcam within the NorthStar pod. As usual, you can get all of your entertainment and menu offerings here as well. This was a webcam shot they provided of all four at once

IMG_4927.thumb.JPG.14e6815992e739577b120b35656c8a62.JPG

Definitely one of my favorite things to do on this ship was roller blading... what a blast! Brought back memories. The first session beginning of the cruise was empty, however by the end the 2 hour session was divided into 4 blocks... if you got there at 5pm for example you might be getting a ticket for the 6pm session as 5 and 5:30 were already "sold out".

IMG_4940.thumb.JPG.dd56d49609a472f1269a43a90831c50a.JPG

As the evening light approached, we had really slowed down in the afternoon and we could see land as we entered the Juan De Fuca straight on our way to Seattle

IMG_4957.thumb.JPG.4307520dd1ce756dc3407e3d4eda2f6f.JPG

Dinner was an incredibly awesome spread in the WJ (see photos in main review) with lamb station, carvings, specialty sweets, really really good this evening, and great views as we sailed. Also this evening was the usual farewell show in the theatre with the staff waving us off and wishing us safe travels home the next morning.

This cruise is in my top 10 ever list ... superb one of a kind itinerary, superb active roll call, great friends made on board with a really fun live review going at the same time, and this sailing solidified my thoughts that this is my favorite class of ship in the fleet.

For those of you on this sailing following along here, I'll send out a thanks to the rest of you following along and enjoying these memories with us. And mega thanks to @twangster for adding new content.

• Like 1

May 24, 2019.

One year ago we woke up in Seattle.

DFS2Fyt.jpg

aydkgGT.jpg

Looking down at the self assist line after a WJ breakfast... time to go!

XL9iQvX.jpg

A last look back at one of my favorite ships.  

rP3c76b.jpg

I've since since sailed Ovation to Hawaii and New Zealand.  Including this unique Alaska itinerary three of my top cruises, all bucket list eligible on their own merit, have occurred on Ovation of the Seas.

Shoutout and thanks to @Hoopster95 for the idea of this post and letting me fill his thread with my memories.  

Edited by twangster
  • Like 1

Yes thanks hoopster for creating this.

I have a good photo of you at dancin with officers on my computer as well as monster mash.

I only learned who you were after the cruise.

This Ovation cruise was very special for it was FIRST visit by Ovation, thr one off itinerary, and best weather.  Later cruises did not go up as far as we did in Endicott.

I also think Captain enjoyed this cruise very much

He was very enjoyable at captain corner.

For me I y Point was highlight

• 10 months later...
On 5/23/2020 at 4:12 PM, Hoopster95 said:

Captain's Corner was held on this morning as well, and extremely well attended to a standing room only crowd in Two70. In fact, most all of the events in Two70 were standing room only... if you need a seat, you need to get there rather early. I thought Capt. Hendrik did a great job of answering and elaborating on questions. I got to ask mine about the BC inside passage, and it was confirmed that Ovation cannot pass between Vancouver Island and the main land of British Columbia like Radiance (the smaller ships) does.

IMG_4830.thumb.JPG.99b395b0c132220254886876f2f41f39.JPG

Today was another nice and easy sea day with no real pressing plans. I took photos all around the ship, and finally got a few of the main dining venues... which I only entered one the entire twelve days. If you go back to the large reviews, I was invited to MTD with friends at American Icon one evening late in the cruise, and it was not a good experience for any of us. 

IMG_4916.thumb.JPG.6037b1a50ee667a6fc70aa1a23bb0e04.JPG

You can find everything on your TV screen within your room. You can view webcams all over the ship at almost every venue, even a webcam within the NorthStar pod. As usual, you can get all of your entertainment and menu offerings here as well. This was a webcam shot they provided of all four at once

IMG_4927.thumb.JPG.14e6815992e739577b120b35656c8a62.JPG

Definitely one of my favorite things to do on this ship was roller blading... what a blast! Brought back memories. The first session beginning of the cruise was empty, however by the end the 2 hour session was divided into 4 blocks... if you got there at 5pm for example you might be getting a ticket for the 6pm session as 5 and 5:30 were already "sold out".

IMG_4940.thumb.JPG.dd56d49609a472f1269a43a90831c50a.JPG

As the evening light approached, we had really slowed down in the afternoon and we could see land as we entered the Juan De Fuca straight on our way to Seattle

IMG_4957.thumb.JPG.4307520dd1ce756dc3407e3d4eda2f6f.JPG

Dinner was an incredibly awesome spread in the WJ (see photos in main review) with lamb station, carvings, specialty sweets, really really good this evening, and great views as we sailed. Also this evening was the usual farewell show in the theatre with the staff waving us off and wishing us safe travels home the next morning.

This cruise is in my top 10 ever list ... superb one of a kind itinerary, superb active roll call, great friends made on board with a really fun live review going at the same time, and this sailing solidified my thoughts that this is my favorite class of ship in the fleet.

For those of you on this sailing following along here, I'll send out a thanks to the rest of you following along and enjoying these memories with us. And mega thanks to @twangster for adding new content.

Haven't been on cruise critic for a couple of years but we are looking at cruising to Alaska next year perhaps on the Ovation.  I have a couple of questions.  Did you like your cabin and would you recommend it?  And secondly do you think the ship would be ok for a couple of seniors with walkers.  PS we are almost neighbors as we are from Abbotsford.  Thanks for this review, now going to watch the original.

Connie