Big, Big, Discount!!!

ricko1

You have a bunch of questions, some I can answer and others I can't.. First off, We booked with a TA. I found the discount by checking many web sites. XX will honor all discounts prior to sailing date. My TA thanked me for saving so many of his passengers a bit of money.. (MAKES HIM VERY POPULAR)..LOL..:D Spearment, not gospel,but I think you will have to book with that agency that is offering you that specific discount. It has nothing to do with XXX.. Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong..

Meyer, I'm willing to bet you a drink, X will honor your or TA request.. I called XX before I called my TA to maKE sure they would honor his request for the discount..It really has nothing to do with who you booked with, only who has the power to call it in.. TA or yourself if booked with XX

Flashdog, you are right, this isn't a Happy hour price. If you called for a CC cabin right this minute, you will be quoted 2406. and that is 600.00 less than we booked for..

Sue , we are on our way back to the U.K our second homeland.. We have spent over 15 years living in the U.K. and just moved back to the states in 04.. I taught at the American HIgh School Of London High Wycombe for 8 years, and loved it.. We moved over to the Costa Blanc in 2001 and stayed 3 years before returning to the states.. Our youngest grands live in Kings Lynn and we can't wait until our British Isles cruise(19 JUNE) to see them again... You might look into having us check the prices on your future cruises verses what you are paying on your end, and give you comparsion or book for you from this end.. If we can help, please let us know...

There is really no mystery, the rate dropped since you booked.

It doesn't happen on all sailings.. just some slow sellers. Can also happen if when you book there is no senior rate... and then one comes available. You can be refared if one person in the cabin is 55+.

On the other hand.. many of my Europe bookings.. rates have increased $600+ since booked.

You just never know.

Spearment, not gospel,but I think you will have to book with that agency that is offering you that specific discount. It has nothing to do with XXX.. Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong..

-- Thanks anyway, ricko1. I am not surprised that this would be the case, just HOPING that it would! I am going to call my TA on Monday, anyway just to check this out...

So I was all excited!!!! We booked as soon as we could and since then the price of our cabin has gone up a full$1000. Our TA checked--we can't do better than that at this time.

So why am I disappointed?

Are you sailing on the discounted cruise..11 Mar 06 in a CC cabin?? If you are, something is not right..Of course you have to be old enough to get the senior rate..

Thank you so much, Rick01! We will also be on the Connie March 11, and because of your post, one of our travelling companions was able to get the $600 refund. Unfortunately, he had recently lost his job. The extra money will make a huge difference to his wife and him. Great job, Rick!

Spearmint, btw our "senior" friend still got the refund even though he hadn't booked through Expedia. We all used a TA we found through *****. I don't think I am allowed to give her name, but she very willingly got him the discount after he had paid in full. She was very excited for him!

balamb,,,Happy to be of help.. Kinda of spreading the wealth.. Are you guys signed up for the connections party yet?? If not I hope you will.. It is free and a good chance to make some new friends.. Happy Trails to you:) :) We only need 7 more to have the free party..E

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the delay getting back to you. I have never attended a connections party although I have been a fan of these boards for a few years. This might be the time to start. Thanks for the encouragement!

Seriously, many seniors lived on fixed incomes, are unable to work any longer, and have to make due with what they have. There is not much they can do about it at that point so the discounts are fair imo.

That's the long and short of it. When you're a senior, you look at the assets you have, the pension or social security coming in, and the prospect of no additional money, and then you have to budget for a retirement that could last (God willing) 20 or 30 years. It's impossible to plan, so the only safe strategy is to be conservative.

Young people and middle-aged people, we can always borrow against the future and hope something else will come along, and maybe have some control over our earnings, so we can be a little more adventurous in our spending and splurge on a cruise without always counting our pennies.

In any case, cruiselines and other places offering discounts aren't trying to encourage or reward seniors to live conservatively, they're recognizing the fact that many won't spend without a discount because it won't make financial sense for them.

keela1eva2 ,

We are also from the UK and yes if the price drops, you can have the drop applied to your cruise. Call your TA and get them to call Celebrity. We have always had any reduction applied to our fares.

Andy

Wow! I feel like I've just hit a jackpot. Thank you, thank you, Ricko1 for sharing your information on this Senior discount.

After reading your messages, I immediately phoned my TA and she said she'd look into it. Then the air went out of my balloon, when I realized we weren't on the same cruise. I'm doing Century on March 19th.

But- when she called back- it's a $ 410 credit on my charge card, not even just a shipboard credit. My (senior) sister and her husband will enjoy the same credit.

I LOVE this internet site! I'm off to tell my shipmates in the roll call section.

Enjoy the Constellation. Give my regards to the Big Monkey up top, and the wirey lady Forward of the Emporium.

Wow!

From Judi- watching the blowing snow in Wisconsin.

Spearmint, btw our "senior" friend still got the refund even though he hadn't booked through Expedia. ,,,,but she very willingly got him the discount after he had paid in full. She was very excited for him!

When I booked a future cruise while on board Century I asked if there were either a senior or regional discount. I was told that they usually do not offer those until around the time of the final payment, when they know approximately how full the ship will be and if they NEEd to offer discounts.

She said I could ask for either (not both) of those discounts as final payment approached. They really don't advertise the senior rates. If you see a sr. rate on a travel website, it means X if offering it. So get on the phone and get your rate reduced, adjusted, credited back to your credit card, turned into shipboard credit, upgraded or whatever can be done with the fare difference.

Therefore, as the quoted poster said, X will be offering the same discount you see on Xpedia.

No, Seabee. I have an ordinary ocean view room on the Continental Deck. So does my sister. We did use a travel agent, and both of us had already made our final payments, mine was done in in December. The refund was requested last night, by our travel agent- she phoned Celebrity.

Jen- if you're reading, how about your Mom? Esther? Ma Bunny, are you monitoring our thread?

Thank you again, Ricko1

Best wishes, Judi JAB8408

I wonder if this is something new---that's a great discount. Wonder of they offered it (advertised) on those who booked through other sources or just through Expedia bookings? Will have to check out all our present booking to see if they are discounted. Enjoy your bargain!

Hopefully, Danno won't be in the same position many of us seniors are in when he finally reaches his "golden" years!

We worked hard, paid our share of taxes to educate our children (and still do) and thought we had enough saved to be self sufficient (i.e. not have to rely on anyone - ever) in our "golden" years....yet, things happen we could never have imagined let alone planned for (healthcare premiums take a huge bite - and illnesses we never dreamed would happen to our mates).

I'm so happy for those of you who were able to get this discount! And I really appreciate those who take the time to share their good luck and findings with the rest of us. I will take every discount available as a blessing!

Archived