What to do with the grandkids in Seville & Ceuta, Spanish Morrocco Spain

The app Moovit can give you VERY specific directions on bus/subway details.  You can get an Oyster card for each person from the airport, which works as a bus/train/subway pass.

Thanks.  I will check it out.

I am an over packer.  I know it.  But, I like to dress up and have fun.  This year we will have matching dresses with crinolines.  Just something fun.  We also bring teddy bears that wear crew name tags from when we first started cruising back in the ‘80s.  The crew love it and we have fun getting our pictures taken with them.  We always come back with new ones.

Hubby’s one and only role is to follow instructions.  Period.  I would not subject any of the kids to his travel issues.

Fleet Street is a wish.  I asked the kids to come up with something they want to do in each city.  My 15YO grandson came up with those two things for London.  The show is definitely a huge maybe.  It is only on the list because the two oldest love performing.

I will look into Greenwich.  You look beautiful.

The problem isn’t just the walking.  With my disease just the light pressure of my shoes pushing against my feet is excruciating pain.  I wear knee high socks with shorts because the wind blowing on my legs hurts me.  I try to explain it to people like this: have you ever fried bacon and had it spit on you?  Well, that how I feel when I get in the shower and the water bounces off the floor.  It physically hurts me.

I will look into the train for the trip to Versailles.  I have learned my lesson about Airbnb cancellation rules.  I have used them once.  Well, reserved them once.  For Australia.  I can’t get into the country yet they are charging me $100 cancellation fee for a $150 night.

I firmly believe the kids should have fun.  I like to think I’m a fun grandma.  Doing silly things only makes the day go better.  We will have lights for the cabin door (partly because I thought I was going on a Christmas cruise and I want to use them), we have magnets for who is sleeping in what bed, etc.  I take things for the kids to do like Jenga and drawing supplies for their down time.

If you are still looking for ideas for Marseille, I would recommend an excursion to les Baux-de-Provence and Avignon.  Les Baux is a hilltop medieval village that your kids would love.  Avignon has the fascinating Pope's palace.  A guide can get you there with relatively little walking. 

I would advise a private tour. We have used www.provence-travel.com several times and have been very happy with their service.  They have great minivans that would fit all 6 of you easily. 

• Like 1

I still vote for the Calanques - but I loved Avignon.  There were just the two of us so it was cheaper to do a ship tour.  I loved the Pope’s palace although oddly the guide on our tour really rubbished it.  She suggested us eating French food.  We tend not to eat on tours - we have already paid for the ship food so are too mean!!  I just did not get that the guide thought we had come all of the way to Avignon to eat French food.  We might as well have stayed in the port!!!  

I ignored the guide, because I had gone on the tour in order to see inside the Pope palace with the audio guide and had a great time.  DH stayed outside but he tends to do that.  

If I were going with kids I would make sure that they learn ‘sur le pont d’ Avignon’ and go on it. My best memory is that I asked DH to take a photo of me by the famous bridge.  He did it but I didn’t check.  He missed the whole point of the photo that it no longer spans the whole river.  So in my photo it just looks like I was standing next to any old bridge.  He was a flipping history teacher too!!  

• Like 1

On 8/4/2020 at 8:26 AM, notentirelynormal said:

I will look into Greenwich.  You look beautiful.

Thanks.  This was one of the biggest days of my life so I did try quite hard.  My youngest was being called to the Bar.   I am sure that you know how important your kids achievements are.  

On 8/4/2020 at 8:26 AM, notentirelynormal said:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, marazul said:

If you are still looking for ideas for Marseille, I would recommend an excursion to les Baux-de-Provence and Avignon.  Les Baux is a hilltop medieval village that your kids would love.  Avignon has the fascinating Pope's palace.  A guide can get you there with relatively little walking. 

I would advise a private tour. We have used www.provence-travel.com several times and have been very happy with their service.  They have great minivans that would fit all 6 of you easily. 

Awesome.  Thank you so much for the suggestions.  I will check them out tomorrow.  I just knew that something must be worth stopping at this port!

11 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

I still vote for the Calanques - but I loved Avignon.  There were just the two of us so it was cheaper to do a ship tour.  I loved the Pope’s palace although oddly the guide on our tour really rubbished it.  She suggested us eating French food.  We tend not to eat on tours - we have already paid for the ship food so are too mean!!  I just did not get that the guide thought we had come all of the way to Avignon to eat French food.  We might as well have stayed in the port!!!  

I ignored the guide, because I had gone on the tour in order to see inside the Pope palace with the audio guide and had a great time.  DH stayed outside but he tends to do that.  

If I were going with kids I would make sure that they learn ‘sur le pont d’ Avignon’ and go on it. My best memory is that I asked DH to take a photo of me by the famous bridge.  He did it but I didn’t check.  He missed the whole point of the photo that it no longer spans the whole river.  So in my photo it just looks like I was standing next to any old bridge.  He was a flipping history teacher too!!  

This is a good reminder for me to bring snacks from home.  With four growing kids having something to hold them over is important.  I too feel we paid for it on the ship, no need to spend another $100 plus for lunch.  Plus, as I've stated before they are picky eaters.  The youngest, her go to meal is kidney beans.  Seriously, if you don't want to fight her on what to eat just give her a bowl of kidney beans.  The next will try more things.  Then we have the two oldest.  While they love to eat vegetables and fruits they also like plain.  No ketchup with those fries and no dip with their chicken nuggets.  I'm not super adventuresome either so I understand.  I have a small tummy and I want quality over quantity.  I added snacks to bring on my packing list.

I do however make them try something new every day.  I don't care if they spit it out but it has to be an honest try.  No taking an itty bitty bite and saying they don't like it.  I make them pick something from the menu and then I have their back up plate ready to go.  They have all been surprised to find something they like.  I think my one granddaughter thought she had died and gone to heaven when she tried prime rib.  Clapping her hands together and standing up straighter like she was on her way up.  It is amazing what happens when you actually try new food.

Edited by notentirelynormal
  • Like 1

So far this has been a great thread and I really appreciate all the help I'm getting. 

I think I have to add in an extra day in London though.  I just don't see how I can fit everything in and not be exhausted without staying that one extra day.  Since it is before school it should be an easy add on because I know we can't do it afterwards.  I really want them to enjoy the city, see the highlights and most important have fun and not be exhausted when we are done.  Someone suggested a car service to take us to the port but they also did tours of London.  That would be great having them take us from location to location to location.  I know.  Not necessary and expensive but you have to pay for the privilege of time.

I plan on adding Stonehenge to the trip from London to the port.  I'm hoping to be able to add on Windsor Castle to the trip to the airport before Paris too.  That means I have to get that settled before I can make the plane reservations before I can figure out when we will get to Paris.  That cuts into one of our days there too but I think that will be an awesome stop for them.  Everything is a domino affect.

The hardest stop is going to be Paris.  The one day stops is one thing but trying to do Paris, that is a big expensive city that has a lot to do but a challenge to do it.  I know very very little and even picking a location for our stay is going to be tough.  When there is just two of you it is easy.  A hotel room, any room, can be booked.  But when you need two rooms that sleeps four it gets expensive and much more difficult to find.

The earlier suggestion I had didn't work.  They really were about tours and I'm not going anywhere else.  I hate to say it but I think I'm going to have to use airbnb's or I will go broke.

So, please, keep it coming.

Just one more thought, then I do think you have to run these ideas past families in similar positions to you.  My experience in London was week-long holidays with 3 kids but DH and I were in our 30s.  We walked most places.  

I agree with the thought of you being exhausted in London.  Before you said it, last night I was wondering if you really need to go to London.  A bit controversial perhaps, so many tourists head there, but UK has lots of other places to stay.  London is so big and so hard to get around in a group of 6.  

I had two thoughts of turning things around.  Why not spend the time in Windsor (really near to Heathrow airport so initial transport won’t be difficult).  Right now I saw some good Air bnb options.  I am sure there are more.  You can visit the castle, take a boat along the river, get the kids to walk in the Great Park, see the changing of the guard (I assume it goes on during the summer months), you can have fun - an afternoon tea perhaps.  What about going to Marks and Spencer and preparing your own afternoon tea with the kids???  You could even wear those crinolines.    More fun for me than stressing on the Tube.   Central London sights can be seen on a single day trip into London.  One hour by train.    I would forgo the London Eye.  I think it is less interesting  unless you are familiar with the buildings they are looking at.  

My other thought was going to the Isle of Wight so your travel to Southampton would be less of a chore.  English people go there for their summer holiday.  

As I said, I don’t think I am the best person to advise though.  You need people in similar positions to you to tell you what they did and how it all worked out.  

I won’t interfere with your holiday any more!!

The earlier suggestion I had didn't work.  They really were about tours and I'm not going anywhere else. 

Was that the suggestion I had about the France Just for You?  They do tours, but have done 2 private trips for us based on what we wanted, not their package tours.  If you haven't contacted them directly, I would.  I do suspect they will be happy for the business and can help with Paris.  If they can't, then I 'd be surprised.

8 hours ago, notentirelynormal said:

So far this has been a great thread and I really appreciate all the help I'm getting. 

I think I have to add in an extra day in London though.  I just don't see how I can fit everything in and not be exhausted without staying that one extra day.  Since it is before school it should be an easy add on because I know we can't do it afterwards.  I really want them to enjoy the city, see the highlights and most important have fun and not be exhausted when we are done.  Someone suggested a car service to take us to the port but they also did tours of London.  That would be great having them take us from location to location to location.  I know.  Not necessary and expensive but you have to pay for the privilege of time.

Have you considered taking the Eurostar from London to Paris? Its much easier than flying because you leave from London city center and arrive in the center of Paris. You will need transportation to get to both Heathrow and CDG and it takes a lot longer and is more of a hassle to get through security at the airport.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, notentirelynormal said:

Awesome.  Thank you so much for the suggestions.  I will check them out tomorrow.  I just knew that something must be worth stopping at this port!

Not - 

I can offer additional comments on some of your concerns.

Marseille.  This is a gateway city into one of the most beautiful and fascinating areas of France.  I suggested les Baux and Avignon for your trip with the kids. I still do.  The other top places to visit would be Arles, Nimes and Aix.  Slightly below in rank would be Cassis, St. Remy-de-Provence and Aigues-Mortes.  All within less than 90 minutes of Marseille.  Look them up (both in guide books and on a map to see what's possible to do in one day) and see what catches your interest.  But do book a private tour, they will be able to do a tour to two or three of these places for you.  They all have suggested itineraries, but they will take you where you would like to go.  It would be the most enjoyable and efficient way to do it.  And a lot cheaper for 6 persons than the ship tours.

London. I second the visit to Windsor.  In addition to what the new barrister's mum says (congratulations!), I would include walking to the left around the castle walls and crossing the bridge into Eton.  While in London, also visit Hampton Court Palace, up the Thames from London. It was Henry VIII's magnificent home. The kids would be interested in walking the maze and seeing one of the original "court tennis" courts. You might be even able to catch a match being played.  https://www.hrp.org.uk/hampton-court-palace/#gs.cq09e7

I definitely second the suggestion of taking the Eurostar train from London to Paris instead of flying.  Faster and no airport hassles or security to go through and you go center city to center city. Do your sightseeing to Stonehenge, Windsor, etc while in London, not in route to airport, port, etc.  You would waste too much time, plus you have your luggage to think about. 

Paris.  For your trip to Versailles I would discourage the train in your case because of the walking involved both at the train station in Paris and from the station to the Palace gates in Versailles.  Versailles is huge, so save your walking for there.  Recently, there has been a shuttle bus that takes you from the Eiffel tower to Versailles.  A taxi from the Eiffel Tower to Versailles would cost 30 euros one way.  While there, your hotel could also arrange transportation.  Do buy your tickets and, if you wish, guided tours from the Palace website directly. 

http://en.chateauversailles.fr/

Here is a map with the location of the train stations:

http://bienvenue.chateauversailles.fr/en/overview/train-stations

See the reference to the Versailles Express shuttle on this last link.  And some info:

https://www.versaillesexpress.com/en  But buy just the transportation and get your tickets from the Palace website.

9 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

Grrr, I had typed my answer and must have touched something because all of a sudden it was gone and I was on another thread SO….,

First, no one is interfering with my plans and all thoughts are welcome.  I am asking for advise.  I happen to be one of those people that believes if you ask an expert (like a doctor) for advise that you should take it.  I am considering all responses that I’ve been given.  I’ve already sent off an email to the tour company in Marseilles for information.

I agree with the thought of you being exhausted in London.  Before you said it, last night I was wondering if you really need to go to London.  A bit controversial perhaps, so many tourists head there, but UK has lots of other places to stay.  London is so big and so hard to get around in a group of 6.  

Yes, I must go to London.  The chance of any of my kids getting to London in the next 10 years or more is remote.  None of their parents will find their way there so it would be up to them.  The chance of my husband or I getting back there before we die is also remote.  I realize we can fly there for a vacation but we tend to always end up on cruises.  I want them to see something more than you can see in a day and to really soak it in.  Not just the sights but the English people too.  The pubs, the crazy tourist stuff, the British Monarchy…. The whole bit.

I had two thoughts of turning things around.  Why not spend the time in Windsor (really near to Heathrow airport so initial transport won’t be difficult).  Right now I saw some good Air bnb options.  I am sure there are more.  You can visit the castle, take a boat along the river, get the kids to walk in the Great Park, see the changing of the guard (I assume it goes on during the summer months), you can have fun - an afternoon tea perhaps.  

You have sparked an idea.  We might be able to change hotel stays and move closer to Windsor and spend a day there.  I have to admit, when we were last there my DH and I spent time there.  This was during the Diana/Charles divorce.  They were signing the papers as we walked by Kensington Palace.  I still remember how quaint and cute Windsor was.  We toured the castle too. 

I sent off an email to the parents last night telling them I wanted an extra day on both ends and waiting for a reply. 

More fun for me than stressing on the Tube.   Central London sights can be seen on a single day trip into London.  One hour by train.    I would forgo the London Eye.  I think it is less interesting  unless you are familiar with the buildings they are looking at.  

Well, the Tube is something that we don’t have here in sunny California or rainy Seattle.  That in itself is a “shore excursion”.  We also don’t have trains to ride either.  Public transportation in Los Angeles is, umm, what?  Public transportation – Where?  Something more for me to check out.

You see, this is how I end up with so many plans.  Little ideas grow in me and we all end up with an adventure.

I won’t interfere with your holiday any more!!

😊

Was that the suggestion I had about the France Just for You?  They do tours, but have done 2 private trips for us based on what we wanted, not their package tours.  If you haven't contacted them directly, I would.  I do suspect they will be happy for the business and can help with Paris.  If they can't, then I 'd be surprised.

Yes, this is the one I was talking about.  I will send them off an email and see.  I am all for helping out in these trying times.  From reading their website I got the idea that they didn’t do day guides and I really don’t need French meals.  If they do, they should update their website to be more all inclusive.  I do need help in Paris.  London I have ideas on how and when but Paris, not so much. 

Have you considered taking the Eurostar from London to Paris? Its much easier than flying because you leave from London city center and arrive in the center of Paris. You will need transportation to get to both Heathrow and CDG and it takes a lot longer and is more of a hassle to get through security at the airport.

I have considered it and, in fact, think it would be fun and cool way to get there.  My issue is the lots and lots of luggage.  More than we can handle alone.  I have had two major back surgeries and it is calling to me for a third (almost 100% sure I’ll have had that before I get there).  I can barely carry my breakfast tray let alone a suitcase.  Unless I can get the drivers who take and pick up to help then I can’t see doing it.  That is the only reason I have said no to the idea. Solve that piece of the puzzle for me and I would take this mode in a heartbeat.

Marseille.  This is a gateway city ……..

I most definitely will be booking a private tour.  I am not one to wing it especially with so many people.  One or two can be squeezed in, but not 7.  I’ve already sent them an email but will add your comments to their response.

London. I second the visit to Windsor.  I would include walking to the left around the castle walls and crossing the bridge into Eton.  Okay, on my list.

While in London, also visit Hampton Court Palace, up the Thames from London. It was Henry VIII's magnificent home. The kids would be interested in walking the maze and seeing one of the original "court tennis" courts. You might be even able to catch a match being played.  https://www.hrp.org.uk/hampton-court-palace/#gs.cq09e7

Thank you so much for this one.  Michael had found a maze in Barcelona but time wise we couldn’t fit it in.  This will be a fun, relaxing way to spend time and also something that they will always remember.  This is firmly on my list.

I definitely second the suggestion of taking the Eurostar train from London to Paris instead of flying.  Faster and no airport hassles or security to go through and you go center city to center city. Do your sightseeing to Stonehenge, Windsor, etc while in London, not in route to airport, port, etc.  You would waste too much time, plus you have your luggage to think about.   As I said, solve the luggage issue and I would do it.  can you get private car areas where we won’t have to stare at our luggage the whole time and help loading it.  I will work on this thought and research some more.  It is becoming more and more appealing.  If we have a private transfer to the port though my luggage would be in their van.

Paris.  For your trip to Versailles I would discourage the train in your case because of the walking involved both at the train station in Paris and from the station to the Palace gates in Versailles.  Versailles is huge, so save your walking for there.  Recently, there has been a shuttle bus that takes you from the Eiffel tower to Versailles.  A taxi from the Eiffel Tower to Versailles would cost 30 euros one way.  While there, your hotel could also arrange transportation.  Do buy your tickets and, if you wish, guided tours from the Palace website directly.    Here is a map with the location of the train stations: http://bienvenue.chateauversailles.fr/en/overview/train-stations  See the reference to the Versailles Express shuttle on this last link.  And some info: https://www.versaillesexpress.com/en  But buy just the transportation and get your tickets from the Palace website.

Thank you for the links.  Yes, all tickets that can be will be bought in advance will be.  I like the skip the line tickets.  Head held high, nose in the air just so we can walk by all those slugs that didn’t plan ahead LOL.  This is part of planning.  Once I decide on where to stay the rest should fall into place.

Again, thank you all for your suggestions and most importantly the time you are taking to help me.

24 minutes ago, notentirelynormal said:

I have considered it and, in fact, think it would be fun and cool way to get there.  My issue is the lots and lots of luggage.  More than we can handle alone.  I have had two major back surgeries and it is calling to me for a third (almost 100% sure I’ll have had that before I get there).  I can barely carry my breakfast tray let alone a suitcase.  Unless I can get the drivers who take and pick up to help then I can’t see doing it.  That is the only reason I have said no to the idea. Solve that piece of the puzzle for me and I would take this mode in a heartbeat.

Eurostar has a luggage delivery service - check out https://eurostarluggagedelivery.com/sameday/quotes

Its not cheap, but you can even have your luggage picked up at your London hotel and delivered to your Paris hotel or just have it shipped station to station.

Funny.  I was just reading about this.  Great minds.  It is definitely not cheap but it does open up some ideas.  $250 hotel to hotel OR $507 to ship 7 pieces back home.  Something to think about for sure.  After the cruise there is definitely some things I won't need.  I'm not taking everything home with me (like the candles for the cabin or the lanterns for the balcony).  Not worth the space or money.  I figure I can probably put some of my under seat cases inside a big suitcase for travel London to Paris.

8 hours ago, ljandgb said:

The earlier suggestion I had didn't work.  They really were about tours and I'm not going anywhere else. 

Their offices are closed until August 23rd and will respond to me email then.

8 hours ago, notentirelynormal said:

Their offices are closed until August 23rd and will respond to me email then.

https://www.france-justforyou.com/paris-main-districts-paris-map

Have you seen this with the videos.  I am going to have to stop watching, because now I want a hand made umbrella and listening to the French pronunciation of ‘chocolate’ I want some.  I want to break my post-lockdown diet and have a large cup of ‘shokolar’.  

Anyway I thought it might be helpful.  

France Just for You arranges whatever details you wish.  (For our travels, I'm not shy about contacting companies online and asking about "off label" services.  Worst they can say is no.) They were very good a communicating during our planning stage, offering suggestions, and working with what we wished.  If you let them know what your "must sees" are, and what your food preferences are, I'm sure they will have good advice and suggestions.  For example, for the 4 day Paris part of our trip it included:

1. A 100 page bound book of information regarding our specific plans (1/3 was Paris specific), French customs, suggested walking routes for our DIY time, French phrases, recommended restaurants, and French road rules and signs for our rental cars.  Maps of all the areas we would be in.  Metro tickets, 2 for each person in our trip.  A binder to hold everything.  All contact info for every person or reservation on our trip. Specific ticket and transportation information for places I'd inquired about that we wanted to do on our own.

2. A car and driver to pick us up at the airport and deliver us to the hotel.

3. Once there, we had a private guide all day that met us as the hotel our first morning.  Our tour was a walking tour of the near by neighborhoods, the Eiffel Tower, and the Louvre.  We also had her explain in full the metro and bus system for our next couple of days.

4. A car and driver to take us to the train for our next destination.

We've lived overseas and are comfortable navigating a city once we get the lay of the land, so really didn't need any more guided tours than that for Paris.

We were supposed to have been in northern France and Normandy with them this past June. We would have had tours at least every other day, by guides that would pick us up at our lodging.

As for food, I'm a foodie, but really don't care for standard French food.  I do LOVE their boulangeries and patisseries though.  I could eat from those the entire time.

20 hours ago, notentirelynormal said:

Again, thank you all for your suggestions and most importantly the time you are taking to help me.

Actually, it is fun doing this "virtual travel" to places I have lived in and go back to often, or used to.  Hopefully, next year . . .

• Like 1

Just a word on your lunches and snacks on a full day private tour.  The guide will normally stop for a lunch break at a little restaurant somewhere. This is as much for you to enjoy a local meal as for the guide to take a break. If you prefer just to stop for a quick sandwich, takeout, or even bring a picnic, let them know at the beginning of the tour or email them the day before.  They might plan their stops a little differently to suit your preference (and bring their own sandwich if need be).    

Oh, I still planned on stopping for lunch.  These are teenagers and almost teens who want to eat all the time and have certain preferences.  I'll let the little one starve if after I pay for a meal she doesn't eat it but I still want to try to get them simple and something to hold them over.

Can you give me an idea what they charged for a day tour of Paris and the transportation to/from the airport.  Honestly, with all the stuff they do for you they sound like they might be too expensive for me.

Sorry, but I really can't.  The cost, for the whole 8 days, included lodging, a high speed train to Avignon, rental cars, an entire BnB to ourselves and transfers to the port. It was not broken down by item.  They picked the lodging, which is not at all my usual style as I tend to research the snot out of it first, but what they picked was perfect in every sense of the word for us.  I'd recommend the Paris hotel to you, but it had narrow stairs down to the breakfast in the basement and was 3 blocks to the metro, so maybe not the best choice for your family.  It was the Hotel Caron de Beaumarchais.

That said, they were eminently affordable.  I am not a luxury traveler, per se. I like to stretch my travel dollar, so I can travel more.  The cheapest is always arranging everything yourself, take public transportion, etc, but sometimes I like to have someone else do the heavy lifting.  Having no idea what your budget is, I can't guess if you'd like them, but it can't hurt to ask a ballpark figure.

19 minutes ago, notentirelynormal said:

Oh, I still planned on stopping for lunch.  These are teenagers and almost teens who want to eat all the time and have certain preferences.  I'll let the little one starve if after I pay for a meal she doesn't eat it but I still want to try to get them simple and something to hold them over.

Can you give me an idea what they charged for a day tour of Paris and the transportation to/from the airport.  Honestly, with all the stuff they do for you they sound like they might be too expensive for me.

I agree teenagers will eat you out of house and home...

We don't do private tours in Paris.  We have been there many times and just do our own thing.

For info on taxi fares, trains, etc, check out Rome 2 Rio https://www.rome2rio.com/.  Just enter your to and from towns, addresses, attractions, whatever and it will give you prices for all sorts of transportation.  It is pretty accurate, especially for regulated services such as trains and taxis.

We used to live in the South of France and we use a tour company only when we are on a cruise with friends who might not have been there before.  Then, having a tour is the best option.  Otherwise, we rent a car and drive around.  The tour company I recommended was for your stop in Marseille:  https://www.provence-travel.com/ also known as Tour Designer in Provence.  The price is the same regardless of where you go on the full day tour.  And you don't have to do exactly one of their suggested tours.  You can ask for a different combination of places.  They will work with you.  

I found the email with the prices from our last trip a couple of years ago

Price and service:
I (or the other licensed tour guide working with me full time) come to pick you up to the ship in the morning, drive and guide you through the different places in comfortable 8 seater air-conditioned minivan, make a reservation in a good casual restaurant for lunch (but we can also skip it and grab a sandwich on our way or have a picnic lunch) and drive you back to the ship at the end of the day.

Price for 2 persons: 450 Euros, all the car expenses are included (fuel, highway, parking...) but not extra costs such as drinks, lunch with the guide, entrance fees, wine tasting fees sometimes...
Price for 3 persons: 460 Euros, same conditions.
Price for 4 persons: 470 Euros, same conditions.
Price for 5 persons: 500 Euros, same conditions.
Price for 6 persons: 550 Euros, same conditions.
Price for 7 persons: 575 Euros, same conditions.
Price for 8 persons: 600 Euros, same conditions.

Catherine D'ANTUONO, Certified Lecturer Guide
SARL TOUR DESIGNER in PROVENCE
Provence Travel Specialist
www.shore-excursions-marseille.com
Tel. : 00 33 (0)6 17 94 69 61

Hi Marazul

I sent them an email with the earlier suggestions and have not heard back from them.  I think their email said to give up to 72 hours so I'm not stressing yet. If I haven't heard from them in a couple of days I'll retry.  Times are off right now.  Those prices are totally in line with what I'm paying in other ports.  I mentioned the suggestions you guys gave me and asked for a price.

I like to stretch my dollar too and cringe when paying the meal tickets for 7 people but I also realize that we are in a particular place to see what makes it what it is so saving that extra $100 defeats the purpose.

to ljandgb

I also sent them an email asking for prices and suggestions and only giving them the minimum of what we wanted to see and do and asking for suggestions.  I guess they are closed for the rest of the month so I will wait for their return.  Even though I don't know you guys you sound level headed and realize the pricing I'm looking for.  The worst that can happen is I don't like what I hear or the cost is too much and I move on.  No pain, no gain.  I totally loved the recommendation I got for Sardinia.  If he is as good as his emails, I'll be happy.

I remember when we went to New Zealand there was a really popular guide.  I had booked him for our group.  When I get to him there is a couple standing there asking to join our tour.  Apparently a lot of people (on CC) feel that leaving it to the last minute and asking to join in on other's tours is totally acceptable.  They were actually put off that we didn't let them join.  I looked at him and said, we have 18 people and a baby with a stroller. Where exactly do you plan to put two more people?  Seriously!  We had to literally climb over top of the stuff and one guy had to sit on the floor.  Bottom line people - book your own tour ahead of time.  Sheesh.

• Like 1

Well, I'm getting ready to book with Tour Designer in Provence.  One thing I don't like though is I'm required to pay my deposit through Paypal for an additional 4.5% in fees.  I'm not sure why they can't just take my credit card information and charge it.  That should be calculated directly into my quote of what it will cost.  For example, I would prefer them to say it will cost you $12.50 rather than $10 and oh, you have to pay me an additional $2.50 in fees .

Like I've said in previous posts, I'm going with complete stranger's recommendation because I've never been let down by CCers before.  So guys, if your recommendations suck and you've totally screwed me then that is on you hahaha (sort of).  You have most certainly guided me to tour companies that seems perfect for which is more than I was coming up with on my own.  I either got nothing or companies that didn't sound like a good match for me.

I realize that I have lots of time to make arrangements but I also realize that there are many many people on this ship (and maybe others) that will be looking for private tours and I want to be there first. After all, there are only so many guides and even less good guides.  I am way too anal not to have it lined up. 

I just laugh at my husband when he makes stupid comments about my umm issues.  Dude, we've been together almost 50 years.  Half a century.  You seriously don't know that I won't have it organized?  He wants to contribute, really he does. And about two weeks before we are ready to go he whole halfheartedly starts to get involved.  He start clipping coupons for cheap places to park at LAX kind of thing.  For this trip he will dig in look for limo services.

Anyway, I'm happy to announce Marseille is done.  I just have to pay and firm up the details of pick up/drop off and budget for other expenses, like lunch.  Once again I thank you all for your help.  I truly listened to all your suggestions, looked them up and went from there.  Emma expanded on those ideas and has promised us an amazing day.  I found it hard to believe that the only thing to do was shopping.  Wait, I could walk and look at stores and shop too.

This in no way let's you off the hook.  I still have one really tough port left.  One that I can't even figure where to start. Ceuta, Spanish Morocco, Spain.  Using TripAdvisor I've come up with TukTuk tours but I don't think that is a really good option.  I would need 4 of them and I'm not sure where they go or anything about them.  They do look fun though.  So, if you guys have any insight into tours or guides there or even places to go - then you really are The Man!

Once I get all the ports done then I can seriously start thinking about London and Paris.  This has to be done carefully to coordinate everything and you guys have given me some really good leads, ideas and directions to go.  Up to this point I haven't been focused there.  I've researched on my own, of course and know some of the things I want to do.  I know we are going to the Tower of London and the London Eye.  I've made notes to dig deeper into everything and the suggestions you have made.  Against my better judgment I think I am going to have to book an airbnb otherwise the hotels are going to cost me more than the cruise.  More on this later.  I know you guys live and die just to hear my travel issues. 🙂

I have, however, put out feelers on the things we've talked about.  Remarkably I haven't got a lot of responses back.  None, to be exact.  Not one driver or guide has responded.  In England I've asked for transportation only to and from LHR and a hotel and/or the port.  I can't even get that answered.  I wasn't asking for much.  Just basic rates for crying out loud.  I realize the world is out of sync right now but people can still work from home and answer emails.  I contacted one company about stopping at Windsor Castle on the way.  Making a day out of getting from the hotel to the port.  I've heard nothing.  I do like the idea of staying there one night too but this might come down to cost.

You now officially have your update.