Military/veteran discount?

Lynne79

DH and I are weighing cruise options. We're down to either Carnival Valor or Royal Caribbean's Mariner of the Seas. Well, I talked to Carnival today and they said my husband qualifies for their military/veteran discount, which is significant (I've heard up to 20 percent on some cruises). Well, I just got off the phone with Royal Caribbean and a rep said they don't offer any military discount whatsoever.

Has anyone else got a military discount with Royal Caribbean? I'd rather go on Mariner, but is it worth like $400 more than Valor?

Contact the "Type of Agency" used by the military, they should be able to help you. According to the guidelines here, I don't think we are allowed to post the name of a travel agency or the website. Call your local base operator and ask for the travel agency on base. Royal Caribbean DOES discount with this agency but you have to book with the agency not with RCI. Again, I'm sorry I can't list the name but hope you can take the lead with the hints. If I'm wrong with the guideline please advise.:confused: Email me and I'll send you the information.

Royal does offer a military discount, but only on specific sailings. The offers I've seen are all for cruises coming up within 3 months or so of booking.

I'm not sure when you are thinking of cruising, but I just looked and saw, for example, Mariner on 2/26 with a military rate of $549 p/p inside or $829 p/p for a balcony. They also have one on 3/5 for $599 p/p for an oceanview or $749 p/p for a balcony. They are really good rates, but the short notice doesn't work for us at this point.

I found these rates on an online cruise travel site..... which the rules say I'm not supposed to post here. Just think how nice it is on VACATIONS TO GO places. ;)

I am in the military and recently booked a RCI cruise with an on base TA. She informed me that discounts are given, but only so many per type of room per boat. For example 20 D1 cabins and 40 E1 cabins on the NOS sailing on whatever date. Unforchuntaly I didnt recieve the discount but good luck on your atempt.

dan

DH and I are weighing cruise options. We're down to either Carnival Valor or Royal Caribbean's Mariner of the Seas. Well, I talked to Carnival today and they said my husband qualifies for their military/veteran discount, which is significant (I've heard up to 20 percent on some cruises). Well, I just got off the phone with Royal Caribbean and a rep said they don't offer any military discount whatsoever.

Has anyone else got a military discount with Royal Caribbean? I'd rather go on Mariner, but is it worth like $400 more than Valor?

Best thing to do would be check with ITT, there's also the Armed Forces Vacation Club http://www.afvclub.com. I don't think the discounts are that great, since it seems to be luck of the draw on getting a military discount.

Wraithe

We're looking at sailing in autumn. Unfortunately, since DH is out of the Army now, I don't think we can book through any of the base travel agents. DH does work on an AF base now, but since he's a contractor, he can't use their TA.

I do know the web site you are referring to and it doesn't list Caribbean cruises past July. Does it really have such great prices? And how would we show proof to them of military involvement?

I called RC to see if DH would even qualify, and he may not (though he does qualify for Carnival's discount). Many military discounts are only for active duty or retired (20 years) and DH was only in for 5. But I was taken aback when the rep said they had no military discount at all.

Unfortunately, I don't think he would qualify for a military discount under the RCCL guidelines as shown on the online agent's website I mentioned earlier....

"Royal Caribbean offers military discounts to active, reserve and retired members of the U.S. military. Qualifying military personnel must present a photocopy of current military ID at the time of booking."

I think it's great if he does qualify under Carnival's policy. It's really rare to see a company give a discount to someone who doesn't meet the criteria listed above...

I haven't sailed on Carnival, so I really don't have a informed opinion of sailing on Valor vs Mariner, but I REALLY LOVED Mariner. :D Maybe someone who has been on both can tell you whether it's worth $400 more or not.

I do know the web site you are referring to and it doesn't list Caribbean cruises past July. Does it really have such great prices? And how would we show proof to them of military involvement?

To see the rates that I was quoting, you need to hit their link for Military Discounts and go to the Royal Caribbean options. They aren't showing any Military Rates past May....

Do a google search for military discounts for cruises and quite a few online TAs will come up. Your best bet is to contact your local base services and they can help. In the Air Force we use ITT for our discount but most use SATO.

We're looking at sailing in autumn. Unfortunately, since DH is out of the Army now, I don't think we can book through any of the base travel agents. DH does work on an AF base now, but since he's a contractor, he can't use their TA.

I called RC to see if DH would even qualify, and he may not (though he does qualify for Carnival's discount). Many military discounts are only for active duty or retired (20 years) and DH was only in for 5. But I was taken aback when the rep said they had no military discount at all.

Don't assume they won't let you use the service. I know there are a ton of services on the bases that contractors, sub-contractors, and such can use. I know that the aero club I used to use in Charleston would even let Civil Air Patrol use the facility, and anyone who worked on base could use the Shopette and such. I'd be willing to bet that they don't have any problem letting him use the office. Most of the time, those offices have to support themselves, they don't get any money frorm the fed, so if they're smart, they'll be more than happy to take your money. Who knows, worse they can do is say no.

Wraithe

A friend told me that Carnival will give a military discount to anyone who is discharged if he/she served I think two or three years. It's not just for active, retired or reservists as other cruiselines.

I think it's great that they appreciate that, even if retired, someone who gave his/her time to serve this country and reward them with military discounts. I wish other cruiselines followed those guidelines.

There are still a lot of service people from Korea and Viet Nam as well as Desert Storm that cruise. Seems like Carnival has the right idea here.

Carnival will give us the discount. I was quoted today and the discount will save us almost $400.

Thanks for the advice that some places will let contractors use the TA, etc. We will check that out, just in case.

It's fine that DH doesn't qualify for the RC discount. I understand that having a discount to any military veteran is A LOT of discounts (although they do limit the number available per ship! I was just curious about it.

Thank you all for your help and advice!

We are an active duty family of four. We have always sailed with Carnival because they offer a military discount up front on any cruise you pick. With RCI you have to wait until the last minute and see if your cruise will offer the discount.

This will be our first cruise with RCI, March 19th, the family voted to try something different even if the cost was more. We booked last summer and paid in full by Dec. The rates went down and they offered us the military discount. We upgraded instead of receiving a credit on our account.

Hoping RCI lives up to the extra money, or I'll be back with Carnival and their no hassle military discounts.

Archived