Reopening Capacity Question.

SurfCat

I was thinking about the same thing. Reduce Capacity to double occupancy only at first. You could still sell out cabins, but would reduce overall number of passengers. Now for Families that would mean 2 cabins at minimum which sucks. But there is no way the ships will sail with 50% capacity. 

I say that being a Former CD on one of the Big 3. Not only if its 50% occupancy it reduces the total fair revenue, it will drastically reduce onboard revenue which is basically what the ships rely on for profit. 

20 hours ago, salty dingo said:

You asked the right question. Nobody is sure. Cruise lines have a business model that depends on filling up ships to capacity. Deck, club, and bar space is limited, and spacing must increase. Lots of people who want to do what they want, when they want, will not be able to.

What will be the answer? I'm waiting on shore to see. I won't even consider a cruise until I know what the deal will be, and we probably won't know that until after the reviews of the "new cruising world order" are.

I use to think that the ships would almost certainly sail with full bookings. Now, as I think about it and my wife tells me what she is seeing with availability, I think Carnival may run those first few months at less capacity just to see how their staff and changes impact things. Iron out the kinks if you will.

These changes will impact staff probably more than they will cruisers. They will need to be trained and learn these new processes all the while keeping up with their current duties. I am sure we'll see washy washy staff all over as an example.

I would surmise that our Nov Panorama cruise will be full though.