Carnival vs Disney, please explain

Bridges300

We always talked about trying Disney since I used to work for them but every time we compared prices their cruise was always at least $2000 more. We always ended up deciding that the $2000 would pay for another cruise for DH and myself, so the extra cruise always won! My kids absolutely loved Carnival and the kids programs.

4/9 2005 Dawn Princess
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2005;4;9;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]

• 3 years later...
[quote name='Bridges300']My family and I have been on one cruise, the Victory for 7 days. It was fantastic. We are ready to book our second cruise. Disney is $4000!! more for our family of four than a similar balcony room on Carnival. People told us that Disney is a great experience but can it be worth $4000 more?[/quote]

WE HAVE SAILED ON CARNIVAL 6 TIMES WITH ANOTHER BOOKED FOR OCT. AND JUST SAILED DISNEY IN THE MED. JUST BECAUSE WE GOT AN INCREDIBLE DEAL. I FELT BAD FOR THE PEOPLE THAT PAID $9800 FOR WHAT WE GOT.

* THE FOOD WAS NOT GOOD AT ALL, WE HAVE ALWAYS BEEN VERY HAPPY WITH THE FOOD ON CARNIVAL. WE EVEN DINED IN PALOS AND ALTHOUGH THE FOOD WAS OK IT DIDNT COMPARE TO THE SPECIALTY REST. ON CARNIVAL. IT WAS ALSO VERY DIFFICULT TO GET A RESERVATION.....

* THE SERVICE IN THE DINING ROOM WAS ALMOST NON EXISTANT. I FELT LIKE THEY ONLY WAITED ON US BECAUSE WE WERE THERE AND THEY WANTED TO GET RID OF US. THE FOOD IN THE BUFFET IF YOU WANT TO CALL IT THAT WAS VERY LIMITED. MY KIDS COMPARED IT TO A SCHOOL CAFETERIA!!!

* AFTER 10 DAYS I STILL DIDNT KNOW THE ROOM STEWARDS NAME. SHE WOULD SNEAK IN AND OUT WHILE WE WERE GONE AND NEVER INTRODUCED HER SELF. THE ROOM WAS CLEANED AND MAINTAINED WELL BUT ON CARNIVAL THEY ARE WAITING TO MEET YOU AND ASSIST YOU THE 1ST TIME YOU WALK IN YOUR CABIN.

* EXCURSIONS,,, OVERPRICED AS ALWAYS BUT DISNEY PRESALES THEM TO SUITES AND PAST PASSENGERS SO BY THE TIME A 1ST TIMER IS ABLE TO BOOK THE EXCURSIONS THEY ARE ALREADY FULL. THAT WORKED TO OUR ADVANTAGE, WE DID THE SAME THING AS THE EXCURSIONS ON OUR OWN FOR ABOUT 25% OF THE COST.

* I WOULD ONLY DO DISNEY AGAIN IF I GOT ANOTHER AMAZING DEAL OR IF I HAD VERY YOUNG CHILDREN... EVEN THEN I WOULD THINK TWICE OR 3 TIMES BEFORE CHOOSING DISNEY OVER CARNIVAL.

* ENTERTAINMENT, DISNEY OFFERED ONLY FAMILY ENTERTAINMENT, THAT MEANS EVERYTHING WAS CHARACTER BASED. THE FIRE WORKS SHOW OFF THE TOP DECK WAS GREAT BUT THE SHOW ROOM WAS SMALL AND VERY CROWDED SO I WATCHED THE SHOWS ON TV IN MY ROOM AND THEY WERE OK FOR THE KIDS.... I DID WATCH A MAGIC SHOW ONE NIGHT WHERE I KNEW EXACTLY WHAT HE WAS DOING BECAUSE HE WAS SO BAD... NOTHING COMPARED TO THE SHOWS ON CARNIVAL, WHICH CAN BE TOO MATURE FOR KIDS, & THE MAGIC AND COMEDY IS ALWAYS EXCELLENT. DISNEY DIDNT OFFER ANY ADULT ENTERTAINMENT UNLESS YOU CONSIDER CARD TRICKS IN THE BAR ENTERTAINMENT. AFTER 10 PM THERE WAS NOTHING BECAUSE EVERYONE WAS IN BED. THE DOCKS WERE EMPTY!!!

* I LOVE BALCONIES BUT I HAVE DECIDED THAT WE ARE NOT IN OUR ROOM ENOUGH TO BENEFIT, THE ONLY TIME I GET A BALCONY NOW IS WHEN WE TRAVEL WITH FRIENDS AND WE HAVE THEM OPEN THE DIVIDER TO MAKE ONE LARGE BALCONY.

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR CHOICE....

[quote name='Bridges300']My family and I have been on one cruise, the Victory for 7 days. It was fantastic. We are ready to book our second cruise. Disney is $4000!! more for our family of four than a similar balcony room on Carnival. People told us that Disney is a great experience but can it be worth $4000 more?[/QUOTE]

Just got off CCL in June and will be embarking on a Disney cruise in 1 month. Just the Mrs and I. We are going for a cheap price. $1700 for the week, If you cruise in the summer they clobber you.

For us there is no way it's worth $4000 more. That's insane.:p

Bill

We "did" Disney when our girls were younger. Now that they are 16 and 19, Carnival more than fits our needs. In comparison, Carnival gives you a lot of bang for less bucks. I did miss the lack of an indoor movie theatre showing first run Disney films (great for rainy days) - but food-wise, entertainment-wise, excursion-wise (though their private island is a lot of fun, but jammed) and camp-wise, they are on par with each other. We sailed when prices were MUCH cheaper. I recently comparison priced the Disney cruises, and almost fell on the floor:eek: . If you can cruise at a "cheaper" time (if there is such a thing on Disney) try it - your kids will like it. After all, it is Disney - though I found as much magic on Carnival - just marketed in a different way!

I was going to respond to this when I saw I already did three years ago. :rolleyes:

I will add that when I prompted my then 5 year old, when trying to book "the next cruise", which of her first two did she enjoy better, Disney, or Carnival........her response was "BOTH"!

[quote name='MrPete']I was going to respond to this when I saw I already did three years ago. :rolleyes:

I will add that when I prompted my then 5 year old, when trying to book "the next cruise", which of her first two did she enjoy better, Disney, or Carnival........her response was "BOTH"![/QUOTE]

OMG! Good catch Pete. I didn't realize this had but dug up out of the grave.:p

Bill

Archived