Do you carry passports for ports?

TEAGAN

Hi there;

We are Canadians travelling on Eastern Caribbean route. We will have cleared US customs at Miami airport. Do we have to go through customs at Nassau,St Thomas,Puerto Rico, Labadee ? Do you have to carry your passports with you when you go onshore to clear customs each time? We bought a water pack big enough for camera sea passes,etc. - but forgot to ask about passports.

Thanks

Not sure of your intenary but if you are leaving from a US port and then stop at an non US port before arriving at St Thomas, there is a customs thing to go through, but it takes place on-board ship. For the other islands nothing extra takes place.

Outside of the United States, yes. The passpost does no good sitting in the room safe if you miss the ship and have to get on a plane to get to the next port or home. Having said that, we're going to do some water-based excursions on our Caribbean cruise, and I'm not sure I would feel comfortable with my passport on shore while I'm snorkelling. Then again, maybe there's a secure place to leave it while I"m in the water. Will have to investigate further.

I know there has been a lot posted about how your purse might be snatched, etc., but if you keep a tight grip on it and are aware of your surroundings, this is highly unlikely to happen. None of the bad stuff is likely to happen, so it's a matter of assessing which remote risk you think is greater - missing the ship or needing your passport for some reason while on shore vs. the risk of it being lost or stolen if you have it with you. I think the latter risk is lower.

I would actually arge the opposite; that your chance of actually missing the ship is not that great (out of say, 3,000 people on board usually everyone makes it back on time at each port, maybe one couple misses in a week's cruise by any random ship, which makes about 8,998 safe returns in any given week, with one couple missing at one port out of three); then I would venture to guess that out of a week's cruise, with 3,000 people stopping at three ports, that many of them misplace, lose, or have stolen something in the process. Waaaaay more than miss the ship.

That being said, a copy of your passport will help you greatly in getting a new one, should you be lost. But I sure wouldn't want to be snorkeling in the water when my passport was in my beach bag on the beach!

I would actually arge the opposite; that your chance of actually missing the ship is not that great (out of say, 3,000 people on board usually everyone makes it back on time at each port, maybe one couple misses in a week's cruise by any random ship, which makes about 8,998 safe returns in any given week, with one couple missing at one port out of three); then I would venture to guess that out of a week's cruise, with 3,000 people stopping at three ports, that many of them misplace, lose, or have stolen something in the process. Waaaaay more than miss the ship.

That being said, a copy of your passport will help you greatly in getting a new one, should you be lost. But I sure wouldn't want to be snorkeling in the water when my passport was in my beach bag on the beach!

Nor would I! But notice that I said, so long as you keep a firm grip and are aware of your surroundings. Too many people go off to the local watering holes and get bombed, which makes them ripe for pickpockets and just forgetting where their stuff is. We wait until we're back onboard to do that.:D

You're getting incorrect information. There are different rules for Canadian passengers. When you check in when you board the ship, the staff will take your passport for the duration of the trip and you will get it back at the end of the cruise. You do not need to take your passport ashore on any of the islands.

Suzie is partly correct:). The ship will hold foreign passports until you come to the first U.S. territory. Since Nassau is your first stop you will not have your passport. Also, with your documents you will probably get Bahamian Immigration cards to fill out before you get to the check-in counter for your cruise. At the next port you go to, St. Thomas, as you have listed, you will get your passport back and go through American immigration on the ship. All passengers will have to do this,,there will be a different room for Americans and another room for all others. I would not take my passport ashore (even if I had it), make a copy as some have suggested. None of the stops on your trip require Canadian passports.

We have been on several cruises (Western and Eastern) and have never taken a copy of our passports or any other form of ID onshore with us.

As the previous posters said, RCCL will retain all non US passports and give them back prior to disembarkation or if you have to clear customs on board for one of the ports.

Just make sure that you have your seapass card with you at all times..

You should have no problems and enjoy your cruise.

Hopefully you will write a review of the Grandeur as we will be sailing on her in April......

Oh, I almost forgot, when RCCL takes your passports, they will give you slips of paper in order to get them back. Make sure you do not loose them. We usually keep them in the safe (in your stateroom).

We have been on several cruises (Western and Eastern) and have never taken a copy of our passports or any other form of ID onshore with us.

As the previous posters said, RCCL will retain all non US passports and give them back prior to disembarkation or if you have to clear customs on board for one of the ports.

Just make sure that you have your seapass card with you at all times..

You should have no problems and enjoy your cruise.

Hopefully you will write a review of the Grandeur as we will be sailing on her in April......

I used to only carry my Seapass (and a credit card:)) when going ashore as well. Now that I am getting a little older sometimes I think of what will happen if something goes terribly wrong and I end up in a hospital, for example, with no ID. Now, I'll take my license or a copy of my passport but still leave the original on the ship.

Thanks for all of the info. I had heard something about our passports being taken when we board. Like I said we ordered an "Aqua pack" based upon a recomendation we read on this board. It was delivered in 2 days & is big enough for our camera, sea passes, document copies (thanks for the suggestion) and other small items. Our son is on a lot of medication & meds containers fit in fine too. It completely seals and is waterproof & comes with a waist & shoulder strap so you can wear it in the ocean while swimming. Great item for those not wanting to chance leaving things on the beach. Thanks again. I'm sure I'll have more questions before we sail!!

Can anyone tell us for certain why the cruise lines take passports on non-American citizens upon boarding.

I for one, certainly would be leary of giving up my passport to anyone unknown to me !! Of course we all know that all the staff on board the ships are certainly above reproach and would not be suspected of any wrong-doing.:rolleyes:

Seems like asking for trouble in these days of identity theft and such:confused:

You're getting incorrect information. There are different rules for Canadian passengers. When you check in when you board the ship, the staff will take your passport for the duration of the trip and you will get it back at the end of the cruise. You do not need to take your passport ashore on any of the islands.

There's my cat again! Sorry, I forgot that the OP's party were Canadians. I can't imagine not having any ID with me going ashore <shiver>

There's my cat again! Sorry, I forgot that the OP's party were Canadians. I can't imagine not having any ID with me going ashore <shiver>

I always make sure to have my drivers license with me, so I have some ID. Having no ID would indeed be scary!!

And stop trying to steal my cat!!

I've always taken ID on shore with me, but this time, I may make copes and just take the copies ashore. That way, I don't have to worry about something happening to the originals. Another thing to take ashore...extra copy of your travel insuance policy, just in case...

We did not take our passports ashore in Europe. Just our drivers licenses. I guess we should make a copy of our passports to take with us on our next European cruise. In the Caribbean we were warned to have our drivers licenses to get back on board with our ship cards.

If you are Canadian, why do they take your passports? That is crazy??

Archived