A little overwhelmed with trip insurance choices

jamminlion

Hey everyone! I have just booked a B2B in July 2022, and looking at trip insurance. You don't have to convince me about the need for insurance. I have read enough of y'alls stories and experiences on the need. After searching the forum, I'm still a little overwhelmed with wh

In the past I have just gotten insurance from my TA. However, COVID is of course changed the way we look at everything. While I'm hopeful that 2 years out will be a good time frame to sail, I have concerns in the back of my head. After searching the forum, I'm still a little overwhelmed with choices. For those of you who are booking out that far (or longer) what are you doing about insuring your trip?

Appreciate your insight.

Everyone be well, and here's to sailing again SOON!

Although, sometimes (depending on the insurance) you will get pre-existing condition coverage free if you book your insurance within a certain number of days of booking your cruise.  

Basically you just need to compare the exact terms and conditions of each insurance you are considering.  Not sure if I'm permitted to mention it specifically, but there is a site that will allow you to compare policies from several different companies.  

In the past I have always bought third party insurance at the time of final payment, which is also when I would typically buy the airfare too.  The deposit is refundable so if that is all you have put down there is no risk yet.  The exception would be if you need to insure pre-existing conditions in which case there is a short window after you spend the first money towards a trip to buy the insurance.  Cancel for any reason insurance was never available in my particular state (NY) before COVID.  I have heard that it will be available to us going forward.

@jamminlion looking for you over there if you post. But here's a short point:

Many people use insuremytrip.com to shop and compare.

The cruise line insurance is weak in two areas that concern me and I look for much better coverage in these areas:  Medical evacuation, and medical care.  With care regarding pre-existing conditions if that's a concern.