Tracy Arm and College Fjord?

tempoct

Hi,

I'm still researching for my upcoming (first time) alaska cruise trip. Thinking about 7 days cruise and continue land tour on my own and try to utilize the TourSaver.

My local travel agent mentioned about Princess cruise line leaving from Vancouver. What do you think about the iternary?

http://www.princess.com/pb/itineraryDetails.do?voyageCode=M622

How was this compared to HAL? I have HAL brochures and they seem to mention a lot about Tracy Arm but the Princess cruise doesn't seem to go through that. Will I miss too much? The cruise seem to go to College Fjord instead.

BTW, if I select some of the excursion from the TourSaver instead of what my cruise line offer, will I able to manage that with my cruise? Are they allow you to roam freely when the ship arrive at a port? I'm thinking about some flightseeing and dog sled some where along the line.

Also, someone mention about less expensive, smaller cruise ship. I can't find any info on that (most of the smaller ship I found are more expensive). Can someone point to the link here?

Open for suggestion.

From a cruise ship perspective - College Fiords is better. Tracy Arm is gorgeous, but it is best from a small boat experience.

I have done Princess's North and South bound cruises and think the College Fiords/Glacier Bay combo is excellent!

Hi Coral,

Does the princess include Prince William Sound when going through the College Fjord, right?

BTW, can I go do my own excursion (not the one cruise offer)? Any excursion you've done during your NB/SB cruise?

I'm so close to book it!

Hi Coral,

Does the princess include Prince William Sound when going through the College Fjord, right?

BTW, can I go do my own excursion (not the one cruise offer)? Any excursion you've done during your NB/SB cruise?

I'm so close to book it!

You cruise PWS mostly at night. You can do ANYTHING you wish.

Hi,

I'm still researching for my upcoming (first time) alaska cruise trip. Thinking about 7 days cruise and continue land tour on my own and try to utilize the TourSaver.

My local travel agent mentioned about Princess cruise line leaving from Vancouver. What do you think about the iternary?

http://www.princess.com/pb/itineraryDetails.do?voyageCode=M622

This is the itinerary we chose, and I think the 2 glacier viewing opportunities are wonderful. Be aware you only have 3 port days instead of 4 like some lines, so think about your priorities.

How was this compared to HAL? I have HAL brochures and they seem to mention a lot about Tracy Arm but the Princess cruise doesn't seem to go through that. Will I miss too much? The cruise seem to go to College Fjord instead.

I don't think you'll miss too much by missing Tracy Arm by cruiseship. The area is beautiful, but I tend to agree with Coral that it's best by small boat out of Juneau.

BTW, if I select some of the excursion from the TourSaver instead of what my cruise line offer, will I able to manage that with my cruise? Are they allow you to roam freely when the ship arrive at a port? I'm thinking about some flightseeing and dog sled some where along the line.

TourSaver is generally best for Pre/Post cruise excursions. There are a few which can be used on the Inside Passage ports, but only a few. Look at the website to find what's available.

You can do whatever you want in port, just make sure excursions return with plenty of time to reboard the ship before departure time.

Also, someone mention about less expensive, smaller cruise ship. I can't find any info on that (most of the smaller ship I found are more expensive). Can someone point to the link here?

All my research shows smaller cruiseships are more costly, as is the Alaska ferry.

Open for suggestion.

Do your research, back posts here are a great place to start, and good luck!

We are doing the one way trip this Summer on Island Princess and then I am arranging our own post cruise to Seward. From what I have gleaned from this great message board, we are indeed doing the Kenai Fjords with a dinner on Fox Island through Alaska Travel. Also thought about touring the Alaska Seallife Center, and relaxing for 2 nights at the Windsong Lodge.We are taking the train back to Anchorageon the 19th and departing on the 20th.:( My problem was trying to find for 6 adults from Whittier to Seward. Renee at PJ's Taxi has been very helpful but because of our luggage, we may need to take 2 minivans.$400 :( Tim, of The Magic Bus, has a 11 passenger van. ($475) Both are very pricey, but I haven't been able to find anything else for less. Anybody need a ride so we can divide the price? I have not finalized any of the above yet, so I surely welcome any suggestions.

Archived