Driving in Barcelona????

We are staying over for 3 days after Century cruise in Sept. We want to go to different wineries in Penedes on our own. What is it like to drive (rent a car) out of Barcelona. We will not keep car over night as parking is very expensive. We have driven in Italy, Florence and Tuscany, and in France between CDG and Reims (Champagne) so accustome to auto-bons (freeways) and back roads. Never drove in big city like Rome or Paris though.

Hi,

We found the highways in Spain to be great....well signed and easy to use. We did not drive in the major cities since it is so easy to get around by foot, bus or taxi. And, as you say parking is not great. We used the car only to get from city to city or for day trips to the countryside. It remained in a car park all other times.

If you plan to rent for more than a day reserve a hotel that offers parking. Also, we used a consolidator and got great rates http://www.carjet.com

We also printed out directions on the Michelin site before our trip. We drove around Spain for three weeks w/o any problems. It is also a good idea to get an international driver's license at AAA. Helps if you have an accident or a run in with the police. Good luck with your trip.

Marty

We spent 4 days in Barcelona last October. They have a wonderful mass transit system ... Metro, trains and buses. Traffic in the city is VERY heavy (and "crazy"). We took the train out to visit several wineries ... one (Frexinet) was right next door to the train station. It was a very pleasant (and inexpensive) day trip on the train. Driving outside of Barcelona might not be too bad ... but driving in the city ... YIKES :eek: ... there are motor scooters buzzing all over the place ... in and out of bumper to bumper traffic.

Just a note re the wineries...make sure they are open to the public and that you do not need an appt. to visit them.I know in Italy some were not open to the public and some needed an appt.for just going on your own not with a group per se.It is not like Napa where you can just drop in.You may also want to check that they speak English unless you are fluent in Spanish if you can do a tour.

cberg: I found web sites for a few wineries and they have emails for appointments. I have not set anything up yet still concerned about driving on our own.

bigmjh: What wineries did you visit? How did you get from train station to them? Did you have appointments in advance? I would not mind doing the train but concerned what happens after we arrive.

Of course we could always do a tour but I did not find one that would include both wines and cavas on the same tour. I like cava and DH is into wine preferably red.

Thanks for all the help,

Francine

fcoffey -

We spent the day in the Penedes wine district ... we caught the train (not the Metro) from the Placa Catalunya station out to Sant Sadurni d'Anoia. Nice scenic ride ... about 60 mins. The Frexinet cava winery is located (literally) across the street from the depot. They have regularly scheduled tours (4 or 5 a day) ... I believe they alternate English and Spanish. The winery is HUGE. Then we walked backed across the street and got a taxi to take us (short ride) to Segura Viudas winery. We had called the day before to inquire/book a tour. The driver actually waited for us and then we went to the Codurniu winery (the other large cava producer - 40 million bottles / year). This again was a short drive. On the way back to Barcelona, we decided to get off the train in one of the cute little towns we noticed on the way out (can't remember the name) ... walked around a little ... got a bite to eat and some cava ... then got back on the next train to Barcelona.

The trains out to Sant Sadurni d'Anoia run very frequently (I believe it was about every 15 minutes) and the fare was only a few euros (under 5?) round-trip.

There are a number of small bodegas in the area that produce still wines. However, the area is best known for the cavas. Also, 90% of the wines produced in the region are white and most come from Parellada grape. There are a few reds ... mostly from Cabernet Sauvignon or blends of this grape ... most are thin ... and (personally) I don't think any could compare to California Cabs. Being from northern CA, I'm sure you've toured the Napa / Sonoma wineries ... you will find these wines a disappointment. However, the cavas are really different ... quite light and refreshing. Also, the "tastings" at these wineries are different ... usually just a small glass of a single wine ... not the 4 or 5 different samples that we're accustomed to.

BTW - if you're staying in Barcelona there are a lot of wonderful cava bars to sit and enjoy the local wines. One of my favorites (actually has made it on several TV travel shows and in Rick Steve's book) is located just down the street from the Picasso museum and is called "el Xampanyet" ... wonderful atmosphere ... family owned for generations ... small ... reasonable prices ... fun.

Madeline & Maurice:

Thank you !!!!! We will do this and cancel the car. We are staying real close to the Placa so getting to the train will be no problem.

Yes, we go to the wineries in Napa and mainly Alexander Valley and Dry Creek Valley every few months. We have joined a few of the different wine clubs and like to attend their functions. Also have a wine cellar of our own.

I told my DH about the wine bars and he is all set to visit one while we are in Barcelona.

Thanks,

Francine

Archived