Which Norway Itinerary is Better?

having been asked a direct question I've been chewing on a reply

"Capt_BJ .....If you had to choose between a DIY Nutshell with overnights in Oslo, Flam and Bergen or a 7 day fjord cruise which includes Bergen (but not Flam and Olso)  which would you choose?"

Well you are sort of comparing apples and oranges but both are fruits: both will get you to wonderfull sights in Norway but very different sights. 

Out first visit to Norway began in Bergen and after a few days we trained to Oslo for a few days there. We decided to return and take a cruise to see the 'water side' .

Norway in a Nutshell can be booked as a one day trip (a very long day or an out and back Begen to Flam and return .... it is just a 'vehicle' to simplify booking.) We booked mostly on our own. We saw FLAM via "Nutshell" , arriving by ferry and departing by train to Oslo.

We visited Geiranger via cruise (Viking Ocean Land of Midnight Sun <summer>) the scenery is stunning .. as was the scenery into FLAM by ferry.  Is one better? We liked both ... there are differences and similarities. We DID overnight in Flam .... and BOY what a difference once the cruise ships departed!!!!! Add the train and wellllll .....

I would note the F is further inland as G  ... meaning G is a shorter trip (less time) for cruise ships . . 

f approx 70 nautical miles inland and 90 nautical miles by water

g approx 40 nautical miles inland and 70 nm by water

(if I'm looking at the correct routes)

image.thumb.png.0292a900da807769d3d52579c7d781d7.png

I would do the entire trip again .... but NOT go in mid July which was PEAK tourist season and the ports were usually PACKED to the gills!!!  When we did the land visit it was off season and the differences were BIG BIG BIG . . . 

Edited by Capt_BJ