another anti-cruise line story in newspaper today

39august

1 minute ago, Algebralovr said:

Thanks for reminding folks of this. 

We all need to keep in mind that their normal base pay is much less than they actually take home most of the time during cruising.  Often their guaranteed pay is only around what, $100/week plus room and board?  Then they receive all the gratuities we all pay, which brings the pay way up.  At least, that is the case for room stewards, wait staff, etc.   The service side people who are paid out of gratuities.

That is not quite correct.  Their "wage" from the company may be only $100/week, and the rest from the DSC, but since the MLC 2006 went into effect in 2013, there is a minimum wage of $641/month (based on a 40 hour work week, and this increases annually), that the cruise line is obligated to pay.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

That is not quite correct.  Their "wage" from the company may be only $100/week, and the rest from the DSC, but since the MLC 2006 went into effect in 2013, there is a minimum wage of $641/month (based on a 40 hour work week, and this increases annually), that the cruise line is obligated to pay.

Thank you for the correction.  I knew they tracked hours the crew worked and figured there was a minimum salary, but when room and board is included, it can become an interesting calculation.  

My direct experience is with US based summer camps.  My youngest was paid a whole $180/week plus room and board.  They lived with the children, and had a 24 hour period off each week (usually on turnover Saturday starting at about 11am until Sunday about 11am - except there was always a staff meeting before 11am), another 6 hour evening off each week, plus 1 hour per day other days of personal time.    So, 133 hours a week between working and on call time (when you consider that even sleeping they are on call).  

1 hour ago, Algebralovr said:

Thank you for the correction.  I knew they tracked hours the crew worked and figured there was a minimum salary, but when room and board is included, it can become an interesting calculation.  

My direct experience is with US based summer camps.  My youngest was paid a whole $180/week plus room and board.  They lived with the children, and had a 24 hour period off each week (usually on turnover Saturday starting at about 11am until Sunday about 11am - except there was always a staff meeting before 11am), another 6 hour evening off each week, plus 1 hour per day other days of personal time.    So, 133 hours a week between working and on call time (when you consider that even sleeping they are on call).  

They track the hours because part of the new laws is that there is a minimum amount of rest each crew member needs to get in any 24 hour or 7 day period, and the line can get fined if they violate this.  And, again, the room and board situation is not as much of a perk as many believe.  If the crew member has a family at home, he/she is still paying rent on a home (or a mortgage)(and even single crew would likely have a year-round home, unless they are living with the folks), and still buying groceries for the family.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2020 at 12:01 PM, 4774Papa said:

Never been very impressed with USA Today anyway.

Agreed!  I've been hating my local newspaper since it became affiliated with USAToday and its so called news articles being more like opinion pieces!!!

• Like 2