Why NCL Premium PLUS Adult Drink Package?

Sthrngary

Just came back Sunday from our trip, sailed the Epic from Dec 7 to 16. I'm glad I didn't opt for the Premium + package. It would have been a huge waste of money. I actually ended up drinking very lightly apart from one day. Everything I ordered was covered under the regular UBP,  apart from a glass of Veuve Clicquot and a Chandon. I paid an extra $20 for the Veuve and $5 for the Chandon. So I was out $25 + tax vs an extra $20 pppd for the upgrade. Oh and I did get a Starbucks espresso one day, so that was another $2. I saved a lot by not upgrading and I'm glad I didn't. YMMV, as always. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCGuy64 said:

Just came back Sunday from our trip, sailed the Epic from Dec 7 to 16. I'm glad I didn't opt for the Premium + package. It would have been a huge waste of money. I actually ended up drinking very lightly apart from one day. Everything I ordered was covered under the regular UBP,  apart from a glass of Veuve Clicquot and a Chandon. I paid an extra $20 for the Veuve and $5 for the Chandon. So I was out $25 + tax vs an extra $20 pppd for the upgrade. Oh and I did get a Starbucks espresso one day, so that was another $2. I saved a lot by not upgrading and I'm glad I didn't. YMMV, as always. 

So just curious if this was because you made the choice to drink what was included in the basic package or because the Premium Plus alcohols were not available?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MNcruisingcouple said:

So just curious if this was because you made the choice to drink what was included in the basic package or because the Premium Plus alcohols were not available?

I honestly found myself not wanting to drink as much this cruise, that's all. I drank almost no wine and stuck to cocktails, water, and soft drinks. I've written about this before, but paying for an upgraded beverage package was just an enticement to overdo it and I was sick of being sick. I got everything I wanted without paying anything extra (except for a couple of things), and I'm fine with that. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I honestly found myself not wanting to drink as much this cruise, that's all. I drank almost no wine and stuck to cocktails, water, and soft drinks. I've written about this before, but paying for an upgraded beverage package was just an enticement to overdo it and I was sick of being sick. I got everything I wanted without paying anything extra (except for a couple of things), and I'm fine with that. 

Thanks for that honest response!  I'm glad you got what you wanted from your package.

• Like 2

On 12/22/2022 at 10:13 AM, JandC_Cruising said:

I can tell you from personal experience we have always been able to share the bottles of wine with anyone at the table.  Most recently, we sailed with 3 adult children.  We had the P+ and they only had the standard package.  We ordered two bottles of P+ wine with every dinner (typically one red and one white) and all enjoyed the wine of their choice.

On another cruise, we even once shared our bottle of Veuve at Le Bistro with a single mom who was with her young son sitting next to us.  We just asked the waiter if we could pour her the rest of the bottle and he happily ran to get a third glass.

That is good to know....traveling in the Haven with a 24 year old daughter who is not a heavy drinker, but would like to share our bottles of wine and water at dinner...I would have done the free at sea plus but it is not available for the third in the room and I think she would choose streaming internet (itself $180 for the 3rd in the room) over the plus upgrade. I don't see her spending $174 on the occasional Starbucks (and we have two plus packages and one Starbucks drinker...)

On 12/22/2022 at 4:13 PM, DCGuy64 said:

this makes a lot of sense...I also don't drink much, but that is exactly why I loved the package, I had tons of water and sparkling water, a daily Starbucks and a bottle of Moet or a bottle of nice wine with dinner (I actually prefer Moet to Veuve). I liked not thinking about it and not feeling compelled to finish my drink!  And I needed the unlimited internet so that was nearly half the cost, and once I took dining into account it was really not bad at all to have the plus drinks upgrade. It really comes down to our own psychology!  

• Like 4

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and Happy Holidays to ALL:

On August 20, 2020 I wrote this original thread.  I did it because I wanted a way to enjoy the Premium Plus Beverage Package to enhance my cruise experience.  To find out there was an amenity available after you left the ship seems a potential disappointment. My question to myself was,

"Why is there no Guide to how to utilize the Premium Plus Beverage Program?"

My mentor in business who was the smartest person I had ever met said, "No one person is smarter that the masses."  My goal in August 2020 was to engage the community in positive realistic conversation on this topic.  I had no idea this stream would be so popular.  

Over the years, through no fault of this community, this and other programs on all cruise brands have had to evolve.  Part of that evolution is the more cruise guest learned about how to efficiently utilize this and other programs, the brands started to slowly cut back on it's exclusivity.  The main situation that effected it the most was obviously Covid.  Now it seems that the "Supply Chain" has effected it.  Add to this the capacity of the cruise ships are sailing at close to 100%.  This full ship situation has now effected the ability to have drinks like "Shooters" (B52's) eliminated because of the time it takes to make them.

In my humble opinion I believe that the lack of higher end brands, the shortage of common brands like Crown Royal or that as common as Bailys is now an extra cost to the regular Premium Beverage Package.  I truly believe a lot of these changes are due to cost cutting to make up for the huge losses the brands took by being closed all those months.  Economics matters to the healthy survival of all companies. 

I personally still love this program and will always purchase it for what it does to enhance my cruising experience.  Yet I also feel obligated to clearly describe the landscape as history has changed it. Again, with everything I write, it is always about setting realistic expectations so when we all go on our cruise vacations, they are not disappointing.  My hopes for the new years is that the members of CruiseCritic.com will continue this thread and education others on their personal experiences.  That has always been the intent.  

I will now focus my main emphasis for the new year on my family, health and exercise.  The older I get, the more I want my youth back.  I wish everyone reading this and those that don't a great year with peace and love.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 6

On 12/24/2022 at 7:33 AM, Sthrngary said:

Again, with everything I write, it is always about setting realistic expectations so when we all go on our cruise vacations, they are not disappointing. 

This is why your threads and comments stand apart from so many others. Thank you for your help as I set my own expectations and am better prepared to “enjoy every moment”.

Merry Christmas to you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/24/2022 at 9:33 AM, Sthrngary said:

I will now focus my main emphasis for the new year on my family, health and exercise.  The older I get, the more I want my youth back.  I wish everyone reading this and those that don't a great year with peace and love.

You are the guru! We sail the Prima shortly and know our cruise experience will be enhanced as a result of your posts. 

I was looking at your "signature" at the end of your post and saw you sailed the Norway. The Norway was the first cruise my wife and I sailed on back in 1990 or 1991 (can't remember) What I can remember is it cost me 280,000 Marriott points and whet our appetite for cruising. 

Hope your holidays and 2023 are great. Thanks again. 

Edited by molemaui
punctuation
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, molemaui said:

You are the guru! We sail the Prima shortly and know our cruise experience will be enhanced as a result of your posts. 

I was looking at your "signature" at the end of your post and saw you sailed the Norway. The Norway was the first cruise my wife and I sailed on back in 1990 or 1991 (can't remember) What I can remember is it cost me 280,000 Marriott points and whet our appetite for cruising. 

Hope your holidays and 2023 are great. Thanks again. 

Wow, those were the days. I just had to use One Million Delta points for two Delta One Europe round trips. I am now officially out of points on every thing. 

loved the Norway.

Cruise well and Enjoy every moment. 

• Like 2

On 4/21/2021 at 1:05 PM, Summerstravel said:

I have asked this question before and was told Starbucks drinks are included in the PP drink package. 

Starbucks was absolutely included on our 11 day Holiday cruise last year on the Escape.

They did seem reluctant to offer bottles of wine at dinner.   They did it but SO slowly.

Sylvia

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/22/2022 at 12:41 PM, Sthrngary said:

No issue, the waiter will ask how many glasses you want.

Sorry things have changed. Ordered the yellow label at french restaurent. Waiter wanted to see everyone's card before bringing glasses. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, akny said:

Sorry things have changed. Ordered the yellow label at french restaurent. Waiter wanted to see everyone's card before bringing glasses. 

That is disappointing. Things, they are changing. Thank you for reporting this to us. 

• Like 3

They have just released a new document of the inclusions of premium plus. They have really devalued it in my opinion. 

removed: (to name just a few)

patron reposado

johnny Walker blue

bulleit

buffalo trace

mccallans terra

Gentleman jack

crown royal

chandon brut

moet and Chandon imperial 

simi cabernet

kendall Jackson zinfandel

ferrari merlot

resonance Pinot noir 

there are a couple of additions- but it’s not an equal trade with the wine list basically cut in half. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AtlantaAlly said:

They have just released a new document of the inclusions of premium plus. They have really devalued it in my opinion. 

patron reposado

johnny Walker blue

bulleit

buffalo trace

mccallans terra

Gentleman jack

crown royal

chandon brut

simi cabernet

ferrari merlot

resonance Pinot noir 

there are a couple of additions- but it’s not an equal trade with the wine list basically cut in half. 

I just did a google search and couldn’t find it—would you be able to copy it?  I basically drink Moet and occasional wine with dinner.  Feeling like I could save a lot just skipping it… 

2 hours ago, AtlantaAlly said:

patron reposado

johnny Walker blue

bulleit

buffalo trace

mccallans terra

Gentleman jack

crown royal

chandon brut

simi cabernet

ferrari merlot

resonance Pinot noir 

I am after bourbon / whiskey so I am good with the improvements. They moved gentleman jack, bulleit and buffalo trace down to the premium list where they should be for their price point.  Adding several Old Foresters and Blanton's to the premium plus makes it interesting for me.  I guess it remains to be seen if will actually be on my ship

9 hours ago, notbroken said:

I am after bourbon / whiskey so I am good with the improvements. They moved gentleman jack, bulleit and buffalo trace down to the premium list where they should be for their price point.  Adding several Old Foresters and Blanton's to the premium plus makes it interesting for me.  I guess it remains to be seen if will actually be on my ship

I agree with the improvements to bourbon- but we’re disappointed in the removal of the higher end scotch options. But as you say- only time will tell what’s actually onboard 

Part of the power of this and other streams on the Premium Plus Beverage Package is "Real Time" reviews.  When things change to report it.  The addition of the Free at Sea PLUS program that included the Premium Plus Beverage Package added many people to get this package.  

Every year NCL makes changes to this package.  Not that they have real interest in it, some of those change are good but most of those changes are restrictive.  They claim many are Supply Chain issues and I call foul.  I just cruised on the Breakaway and when you have to go from Bar to Bar for a decent Chardonnay something is not the same. 

My heart indicates this is just another cost cutting effort with fully filled ships.  It seems, once the guests came back, some of the benefits of this and other programs have taken a hit.  When a company loses as much as NCL did, something had to give.  

Please keep the real time data coming.  I will not be cruising on NCL for a long time.  I will be cruising on one of there sister brands Oceania.  That choice was selfishly to have a smaller ship, that could go into smaller port in Europe, with far less young children, and a much older crowd.  I am giving up Water Slide for cooking classes. So I hope those posting here will continue to do so.  Thanks to everyone for thinking this topic is a good topic.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Cruisegirl92x said:

Does this mean veuve is available by the bottle now but no Moet? Very confusing with all these changes!

Also who knows if Moet will be available by the glass even if it’s specifically been taken off the list.  The whites are otherwise uninspiring.  I know Veuve costs more, buy I prefer Moet, kind of a bummer….

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Part of the power of this and other streams on the Premium Plus Beverage Package is "Real Time" reviews.  When things change to report it.  The addition of the Free at Sea PLUS program that included the Premium Plus Beverage Package added many people to get this package.  

Every year NCL makes changes to this package.  Not that they have real interest in it, some of those change are good but most of those changes are restrictive.  They claim many are Supply Chain issues and I call foul.  I just cruised on the Breakaway and when you have to go from Bar to Bar for a decent Chardonnay something is not the same. 

My heart indicates this is just another cost cutting effort with fully filled ships.  It seems, once the guests came back, some of the benefits of this and other programs have taken a hit.  When a company loses as much as NCL did, something had to give.  

Please keep the real time data coming.  I will not be cruising on NCL for a long time.  I will be cruising on one of there sister brands Oceania.  That choice was selfishly to have a smaller ship, that could go into smaller port in Europe, with far less young children, and a much older crowd.  I am giving up Water Slide for cooking classes. So I hope those posting here will continue to do so.  Thanks to everyone for thinking this topic is a good topic.

Looking forward to hearing how Oceania is and the comparison to Crystal.  I’m considering Silversea but like the liveliness on RCL/NCL. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, renji said:

Looking forward to hearing how Oceania is and the comparison to Crystal.  I’m considering Silversea but like the liveliness on RCL/NCL. 

Never sailed Crystal but have sailed Oceania several times. Absolutely the best food at sea in my opinion. (Was looking forward to eating at Nobu on Crystal but they're gone). Silversea is almost as good but a bit too formal for me. 9 of 12 nights on my last Silversea cruise several months ago I had to wear a jacket after 6:00. Very little distinction between formal and semi formal. Between Silversea and Oceania, I'd go Oceania every time. 

Currently booked on Prima in Haven. So far, the cost per night is higher than my last Silversea or Oceania cruise. Hope it's worth it!

1 hour ago, renji said:

@renji A lot is made of what Crystal Cruises was.  I will tell you I was quite impressed with the "Personalized Service", "Butler", "Drinks/Lounges" and "Food".  I was not impressed at the time with the upkeep of the ship.  

Oceania will be easy for me to both enjoy and evaluate.  The ship was just Drydocked, the food is always highly rated and I love cooking classes.  I want a chill cruise experience with my friends joining us vs. a energetic experience.  I am at a point where a Scotch and a game of Gin over looking the water is just fine.  Age does that to a person.  Evolutions. 

I am happy to report back and thank you for asking.

• Like 2