Renewing Passport

I know we're not cruising/holidaying at the moment but has anyone given thought to renewing their passport for travel to Europe from 1 January 2021.  This is not getting much publicity and couod catch people out..

Worth checking you have enough months left for travelling.  It is an eye opener.   Thought we were ok until April 2022 only to find our passports expire on 31 January 2021.

Here is link  www.passport.service.gov.uk/check-a-passport.

Don't want to turn up at check-in and be refused boarding.

Same here skioncruises.  Checked mine yesterday, and although expiry is May 2022 it actually expires on 16th March 2021.  There is a backlog so they say, so I will lose the 14 months plus any between now and March when I go to renew.

Hi jefa

I had been reading about passport renewal thinking we were ok until April 2022  which meant we could go off in June next year (maybe) and there would be 9 months left from date of issue and renew whenever we returned.  However I decided out of curiosity to do a check and it came up expiry as January 2021.  

We have decided to renew now rather than wait being as we don't know what will be happening in the next few weeks/months, plus the run up to Christmas (mail etc), and January will be here before we know it. 

Hope others are looking and checking their dates on the site I gave. I'd hate to be in the queue at the airport and hear some passports weren't valid and they couldn't travel.

Edited by skioncruises

Renewed mine recently and to be fair to them, i had my new passport 2 - 3 weeks after my application.

I don't know if i was lucky or this is the norm.

I did receive a couple of texts saying there may be delays, but both of us received our new passports no later than 3 weeks.

22 hours ago, lovetoholiday said:

Thank you for that information, I didn't know anything about it.  But now need to renew my passport a year sooner than I thought due to the 10 year rule.

Amazing the information you get on Cruise Critic 😊

Hi lovetoholiday

Yes, it's great the information that can be found on the boards.  That's what it's all about.

Was slightly knocked off plan after checking gov site re passport though as

I was pre-planning for renewing next July. 

2 hours ago, Tony1878 said:

Renewed mine recently and to be fair to them, i had my new passport 2 - 3 weeks after my application.

I don't know if i was lucky or this is the norm.

I did receive a couple of texts saying there may be delays, but both of us received our new passports no later than 3 weeks.

Hi Tony 1878

That's good to know your new passports came through quickly.  They are quoting 6 weeks but that could be postal applications as opposed to online ones.  We both recently renewed our driving licences (age-related), online, and they came back by return of post!  DVLC quoted 3 weeks.

Edited by skioncruises

• 2 weeks later...

Don't have to worry about travelling abroad any more as now covered until 2030.  Submitted renewal application online last Wednesday (21st) and now have new passport today (29th).

Excellent service with updates almost daily regarding progress from start to finish. 

• 2 weeks later...