Costa cancels Smeralda cruises because of Covid-19

Fredrik

Just been notified that our Nov 6th cruise with Costa Smeralda from Civitavecchia has been cancelled....  :(

Dear Guests,

As we all have learned the global alert on the pandemic is dramatically increasing every day in all countries worldwide and almost all sectors are moving quite fast to react to the challenges posed by such an unprecedent issue. 

Over the last few days, the continuously growing number of cases throughout European countries have prompted the relevant national health authorities to elevate their precautionary measures and to impose several restrictions aimed at containing the spreading of the Covid-19. 

We at Costa Cruises believe that a cruise should be the most relaxing and enjoying experience that deserves all the best conditions to be memorable. We are managing our operations with a great sense of responsibility towards our guests and crew members, as well as the residents of the communities we visit with our ships.  

Being responsible is not a choice for us. It represents a pillar we cannot and do not intend to trade off for any reason. 

Within this context we made an attentive assessment of the actual situation and we cannot exclude that its evolution may lead to additional restrictive measures, thus impacting on the safe return of guests to their home country. 

For this reason, by taking into consideration the above described situation, for the time being we responsibly decided to restrict embarkation until the end of November to those nationalities with infection rate is higher than Italy as sourced from the  European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, an agency of the European Union ( https://covid19-country-overviews.ecdc.europa.eu/) and therefore we regret to inform you that your cruise on board Costa Smeralda is cancelled.

Nevertheless, as we do not want you to miss a cruise with Costa, you can choose to change your reservation

with any cruise at the best available price or an equal cruise taking place in November 2021 at the same price, with an additional credit on board of £ 200.00 per cabin in case of cruises lasting 7 or more nights ( or £ 150.00 per cabin for cruises lasting less than 7 nights).

Needless to say, that in case the above-mentioned proposals are not going to meet your expectation or don’t  fit with your travel plans, Costa is ready to give you:

•    a future cruise credit equal to the amount already collected by Costa Cruises for the canceled cruise and a credit on board of £ 200.00 per cabin for cruises lasing 7 or more nights (or £ 150.00 per cabin in case of cruises lasing less than 7 nights) usable within 18 months from the day of its issue and for departures by 30/04/2022, or alternatively

•    the refund of the amount paid. In this case we invite you to send us the refund request to the address info@uk.costa.it accompanied by your bank details (Iban code, bank name, beneficiary of the Current account and BIC code). We will refund within the terms of the law and compatibly with the technical times necessary to process the request.

On behalf of all of us at Costa Cruises, we extend our sincere apologies for the disruption to your vacation plans and trust you understand this decision was made with everyone’s best interest at heart. 

For any additional information we remain at your complete disposal.

Costa Cruises 

Yes i received the email this morning. I would have taken the Pacifica from Barcelona to Dubai,  however i have already booked a cancelled cruise on the Fascinosa to Guadalupe on the same dates as the Pacifica heads towards the UAE. Once in the UAE the Pacifica then does 8 day round trips which i am not interested in. Its not on the web site yet but i am hoping that the Pacifica heads back to Europe in March 2022, and if it does i will book that instead.

I was booked on the Smeralda Dubai to Barcelona March 23rd 2022. Had the email today too about cancellation. I am hoping that they announce the Pacifica back to Europe too as would prefer to book that.

Have only until Nov 1st to decide to take the FCC.

Will try phoning tomorrow.

6 hours ago, maryann2 said:

It is posted in the 'Transoceanic" section.

I missed it yesterday too. Good luck Gerry.

Thank you Patrick for showing me.

Thanks, found it. The prices on this cruise seem a tad cheaper, but not much more than the original cruise, although this cruise has a lot less days than i had originally booked. I had originally booked 30 days from Dubai to Barcelona but on this the most days are 22 and Barcelona is not on the schedule which seems a bit strange.