What do you do?

Rustyone

What do you all do when there is a difference of opinion as to the type of cruise. Me (the DH) would rather watch the whales, visit historical sites, and just watch the sea go by on a cruise with as many sea days as ports of call, while the DW would rather wake up in a different port every morning and shop till she drops for the duration? We took our first cruise last February on the Dawn for a ten day cruise and loved it, but I had trouble walking any distance and was in pain most of the trip. Next time I'd like something a little more sedate but I don't want to hold DW back.

The most obvious, IMO, while sailing or docked, is to let your DW do her thing (she can shop on-board the days at sea) and you do your thing. I would guess that flight times from your home to embarkation point(s) could be a consideration. That may or may not limit your destinations. Study the itinerary you're planning before reserving so you can make each other happy.

We're doing the Island to Hawaii - 5 days over, 5 days around the Islands and 5 days back to Los Angeles. Something for the both of you.

Obviously a compromise is in order.

Since you have trouble being on your feet shopping without pain, I would suggest that you schedule a ship's excursion for half a day for seeing the sights and let your wife go into town and shop during that time. If you both are morning people, perhaps a morning excursion off the ship, meet back on the ship for lunch and a rest, then venture off again to take her to some of the best points of interest via taxi that you discovered on your morning excursion.

All itineraries offer ship excursions that are titled "The Best of ..., Highlights of ..., Sights of ..., An Overview of ..." that will keep you mainly seated in a moving vehicle, while stopping for short periods to inspect some particular sight. If you find anything of interest, then take your wife later in the afternoon as her tourguide.

It seems to me this would solve your problems, while giving you both what you desire. And giving your wife a little dose of sightseeing as well.

Once she has been on a few cruises, she will learn that most of the shops in town are all owned by the cruise companies and tour companies and are all alike in Alaska and the Caribbean. It is a shame that this is the situation, but it is. She will soon discover that it is not easy to tell one port from another by the shops, and perhaps will then be more willing to accompany you on sightseeing tours.

That's exactly it - we compromise. I tend to be a little more "on the go", and my wife likes things at a slower pace - or at least, not starting quite so early in the morning.

We try to choose cruises that have a mix of sea days and port days. If there is a stretch of port days, we might decided that one of those days will be unscheduled - no tours, no plans, no rushing to get on the first tender, that sort of thing - and make it an easier day. Sometimes we go our separate ways, such as I'll go play golf, and she'll do something more up her alley. If we separate, though, we agree to book ship's excursions, just in case.

Just a suggestion. Rent a wheelchair or even a motorized wheelchair. they do rent them where I am from so I assume you could get one from whereever the ship docks at. Take it on ship and ride it around while on excursions. This way your legs dont hurt and she is not left alone. Just a suggestion. Good luck.

On our last cruise, my wife got hives all over her arms and legs and could not walk. We borrowed a wheelchair from the ship, yes they do have some, and went on excursions that way. I pushed it and she held up a super large umbrella to block out the sun. I thoroughly enjoyed it since we still got to see things and were still together.

Compromise is the only answer, I think.

My wife and I more often than not are on different tours - I take the low-impact "overview" tours if I go ashore - she takes day long trips, etc.

It works for us - we are not handcuffed together.

As previously suggested, look for a cruise with as many sea days as port days. However, on port days, would your wife be happy to go shopping just by herself and you could stay on board? There are lots of things to do on board and people are coming and going all day long. Also, besides the pain of walking all day long, you like many men probably hate shopping so that probably adds to the " pain". This way your wife can shop til she drops and you can spend some leisurely time on board or just walking around the pier ( you can spend some time shopping with her at the stalls or shops by the pier....at many ports, especially in the Caribbean and Panama, shopping can be done right as you get of the ship ).

A good friend faced a similar situation--she loves port excursions, travel, and being active, while her husband cannot walk any distance and wouldn't be interested in sightseeing even if he could walk more. But the great thing about a cruise is everyone can do his or her own thing--you don't have to be together, doing the same thing, 24-7. She went off on the shore excursions, shopping, etc., and he found some people that he played bridge with almost nonstop. They got together for meals and a few other things they wanted to do together. They were happy as clams and think cruising is the perfect vacation for a situation like this.

My husband and I took our first cruise last year. We compromised. We took an early morning excursion and the evening was left for exploring shops in town. This way we both enjoyed our cruise so much we came home and immeadiately booked our next cruise.

What do you all do when there is a difference of opinion as to the type of cruise. Me (the DH) would rather watch the whales, visit historical sites, and just watch the sea go by on a cruise with as many sea days as ports of call, while the DW would rather wake up in a different port every morning and shop till she drops for the duration? We took our first cruise last February on the Dawn for a ten day cruise and loved it, but I had trouble walking any distance and was in pain most of the trip. Next time I'd like something a little more sedate but I don't want to hold DW back.

Hey Rusty... here's a thought... You book a cruise on a ship, by yourself, that does what you want, and she books a cruise on another ship, by herself, that does what she wants...:D (JUST KIDD'N)

Just got back from the 15 day cruise to Hawaii on the Island Princess. Real good mix of sea days (10) and port days (5) . Maybe take a look at that iteinary... it may suite both your needs.

Have a good second Cruise.

:)

Do as our husbands did.... while we shopped.. they went into the "corner store" so to speak and paid $1. for a beer and then went and sat on the bench outside. They love shopping now!! AND when your in a jewellry store.. they give the guys free beer and a chair while we look. No obligation to buy and most of the times... we didn't.

My sister and brother-in-law are like you and your DW. He loves to go on all the tours while she likes to sit and look. They compromise by taking a variety of cruises, some of them port-intensive, some of them with lots of sea days. For the port-intensive cruises, my BIL takes more active tours on his own while my sister takes shorter, less-active. They've been married for almost 45 years but recognize that they're not joined at the hip and have found that by doing different things, they have lots to talk about after they get back on the ship. Sometimes, my sister takes the more active tours but just doesn't get off the bus if there's a lot of walking involved. She winds up talking to the bus driver and sometimes learns more that way!

Wow! Some really good ideas! For some reason I have it in my head you have to stay together but I guess you don't. I'm sort of nervous about her going off by herself in unfamiliar settings. Guess I shouldn't be. I have an electric wheel chair but it seems more trouble than it's worth sometimes. I'm thinking about getting a folding travel chair for next time. I'll show DW this and see what she thinks. Good suggestions. Thanks everybody.

Archived