Wine Smugglers

Michaelw5

Any great stories on how to do it?

I have been before on NCL and was able to get away with it, but I they appeared a little more harsh to people. I think I actually saw them take some spirits away from People.

RCCL, Celebrity, Princess and CCL looked the other way.:cool:

Any great stories on how to do it?

I have been before on NCL and was able to get away with it, but I they appeared a little more harsh to people. I think I actually saw them take some spirits away from People.

We just got the Wind they checked every where and when they found it they took it.It strange they have no problem finding and taking alcohol from passengers,but turn thier heads on people saving chairs by pool or Stardust. TOM

Obviously they don't open and search every bag for alcohol, but the x-ray machines can sometimes pick up the shape of a bottle. At that point, they can choose to open the bag to investigate.

We went with friends on the 10/16 sailing of the Sun, and they brought boxed wine. It was actually very good. These boxes were smaller than the ones you'd normally visualize. A little larger than a Puffs tissue box.

Also, my husband brought along an extraordinarily large, plastic bottle of vodka and it made it through just fine. It just didn't last through the first night!:eek:

Obviously they don't open and search every bag for alcohol, but the x-ray machines can sometimes pick up the shape of a bottle. At that point, they can choose to open the bag to investigate.

We went with friends on the 10/16 sailing of the Sun, and they brought boxed wine. It was actually very good. These boxes were smaller than the ones you'd normally visualize. A little larger than a Puffs tissue box.

Also, my husband brought along an extraordinarily large, plastic bottle of vodka and it made it through just fine. It just didn't last through the first night!:eek:

They checked bags when you come back from each port,they opened and looked in.Its funny because friends of ours bought a 5 inch souvenir knife on Fanning Island and it passed right thru. TOM

Were going on NCL in june. Havent sailed them in several years. On past 4-5 cruises on RCCL, Princess, and Celebrity had no problem taking beer, wine, or alchol on the ship.

Stopped at liquor store on way to ship and bought a CASE of coronas. put 4-5 in each suit case. All arrived in room safely. Have done this several times. Also, drink MT Dew...which you cant find on any ship. I took a 12 pack of this and bottle of wine on, in my carry on bag. Went right thru x-ray...didnt say a word.

I often buy liquor in port. Usually buy pints with PLASTIC lids. put them in my back pocket and walk right thru x-ray. Never have been stopped. Once brought a 6 pak of "Carib" beer on ship in bag with t-shirts and souvineers. They had me open the bag after x-ray, but never said a word.

Maybe NCL is more strict???

I think the best thing is not to be to obivious???

A few years ago we had a bottle in our luggage trying to board NCL ship, they didn't deliver the luggage. So when I went to inquire they sent me to the bowels of the ship, when I arrived the guys put my bag in the exray machine and pointed to the bottle asking what's that? Then they had me open the bag hand over the hooch and told me I could have it back at the end of the cruise. I found this very humilliating. I found on that cruise that NCL had really slipped in their food and customer care standards and for that reason I am done with them.:mad:

Carnival doesn't 'look the other way'...they allow wine to be brought on at embarkation (but not liquor). I have always taken 1-3 bottles with me on each cruise. I believe their latest regulations are 1 bottle of wine/champagne per passenger. Since they don't specify the size of the bottle, my DD and I each took one LARGE bottle on the Paradise in November. They saw them in our carry-on bags, and said nothing.

We have never smuggled wine, we carry it in our carry on luggage, so far it's never been confiscated.

Our one NCL cruise we did not take wine, not because we didn't want to, but flying to Hawaii and a couple pre-cruise days, it just seemed too much trouble. NCL has a pretty good deal, buy (I think) 4 bottles, get the 5th one free.

• 3 weeks later...

On our recent cruise on NCL Jewel, we packed two 12-packs of diet sodas in our luggage. The "alcohol police" actually broke open both packs, damaging a couple of cans to boot!...then resealed the cartons with tape!

A little fanatical I think!

(But, it was a great cruise...and they didn't open the box of wine we had wrapped in X-mas paper!):D

• 2 weeks later...

Sailed Princess In 1/06 WC, had small "wine cubes" in checked luggage, no problem there. At Mo Bay carried several bottles of Rum in past x-ray etc. without a word from the crew, we enjoyed them for the remainder of the cruise. Guess it depends on the Cruise Line, the port, And the "mood" of the crew. I figure "take my chances" worst case senario will be no worse than if I did't try.

Celebrity allows you to bring your own wine and champagne. They just charge you corkage in the diningroom. They even suggest you give the bottle for the night to your cabin attendant so that it is brought to the wine cellar for proper temperature storage. Just mark your cabin and table number along with late or early seating. The sommilier will get it for you when you go for dinner.

I recently went on the Costa Med.

When embarking, you are x-rayed by Customs they don't care what you bring, as long as it's not dangerous. (weapons)

At ports, you are x-rayed by the Cruise staff - they must enforce the cruise policy.

My wife and I carried-on 6 bottles of wine, 12 pack pepsi, case of gatorade, and water. Also had more water in the suitcases.

The customes official even joked about it... i told her it would be a NICE trip.

As far is bring stuff back onboard, I just checked it and let them bring it back to the room at the end of the ship.

As per us customs, each person can bring 1lt of per adult 21 years and older. AND if it is produced/bottled in jamaica, you can bring anoher liter of that.

PS - I disembarked with a total of 10 liters of alcohol, no one checked and.or cared. I am sure if we were checked we might have gotten busted and maybe pay duty??? oh well, living on the edge.. HAHAA!!:D

Have fun!

Archived