Lanyards

shensadie

They have lanyards on the ship, there are several places online, AAA, and even Target may have them. There may be travel shops or luggage shops that have them.

The retractable lanyards are on a line and reel that you can stretch out to use, such as your room key, and then it will retract back to where ever you have the lanyard attached.

Most office supply stores now carry them because of so many companies requiring IDs. You can also buy fancy ones at some department stores inthe jewlery section for the same reason. Arts and crafts stores like Michaels and JoAnn also sell make your own fancy ones in the bead and jewelry section. I've also seen them in Walmart and Target usually in the sporting good section near the fishing gear.

Personally, I like the little stretchy coil key chain things you can wear around your wrist. Home Depot has them for 1.47 and Walmart for 1.99. In both places they can be found by where they make keys and/or sell door locks.

A cheap option is Walmart has one in the Wallet Section for 99 cents (called a neck wallet). It's a small plastic pouch the size of a credit card that has a zipper on the top. It has a soft "shoe-string" cord that goes around your neck. It works great to put your S&S in while onboard. On shore you can add money and a credit card and wear it inside your shirt for protection.

The Dollar stores have them too. You can also pick one up that just has a neck-cord and a clip. Ask them at check-in or the purser's desk to punch a hole in the end to attach.

I wear a retractable one at work that clips on the end of my shirt. It wouldn't be my choice for onboard or port trips.

I bought one at a little gift shop/museum on my way to the summit of Mauna Kea. This is the type that comes apart. You simply release the little catch that holds the two pieces together, give the end piece that has your sea pass attached to the crew member that is checking people off the ship; it's returned to you and you snap the two pieces together and you're on your way.

This type sure beats having to pull the whole thing over your head, and then turn around and pull it back over your head.

Cruise Critics sells lanyards as well, though I'm not sure if this is the type that comes apart. You can check them out at CC Logowear on this site.

For children, I'd really recommend the kid that have a safety clasp in the back. Essentially, if the lanyard is tugged fimly, the "necklace" will give. That could be a huge safety advantage for children. We use these at work and I think it's great.

You can purchase them at your local dollar store, plain or jewel like. I also have one for geocaching (Geocaching.com) that attachs to my GPS and it has a loop to loop through the gps/camera slot and clip that detatches and an additional piece that can clip on with a lobster claw type latch.

The retractable kind can be purchased at most office supply stores and sometimes at hospital gift shops (seen the employees have to use them).

• Administrators

Cruise Critics sells lanyards as well, though I'm not sure if this is the type that comes apart. You can check them out at CC Logowear on this site.

Yes, they "clip" apart...

Laura

Archived