Confused new cruiser

erqueen

I am booked on the MOS for 7/30 Western Caribbean. The more I have researched I think that I would rather go to the Eastern Caribbean. The same ship does the Eastern Caribbean the week before and the week after. I have emailed my TA to see if I can cancel and rebook. My main worry is Cozumel not being rebuilt to where it will be enjoyable. I saw on CC that some ships are changing their ports due to this fact. RCL is not one of them. I know that I am worrying too much and that I will enjoy any cruise that we take. Any suggestions out there?

I can't comment on the conditions of post hurricane Cozumel. But since you are new to cruising and especially if this is your first cruise to this area you should be happy with your choice. The nice thing is that your TA can place you on the eastern itinerary without penalty. With RC you can cancel or swap without penalty until your final payment date. Don't let your TA talk you into something you are not happy with, especially if your TA does not have first hand experience. I'm sure someone on this board will be able to comment on the conditions of Cozumel, which I have read took quite a blow. No pun intended. The only down side to changing is your cabin choices will be deminishing as you get closer to the cruise date.

Have a great time, whatever you choose!!

LidoBoy

If your cruise is in July, you can rebook without any penalty and your deposit will just be applied to the new sailing. However, if you booked a specific cabin, it might not be available the week before or the week after. If you are really concerned go ahead and rebook. I wouldn't worry too much though as any port could be in perfect condition and then it rains all day when you get there and it's a wasted day anyway.

I have to agree--it this is your 1st cruise, you will be so enchanted with the ship and all she has to offer, that the ports become secondary. After all, if you've seen 1 island (or tropical port) you've pretty much seen them all. (IMHO!!!) The cruise is the thing--who cares where you go, as long as it's warm!!

You should consider what you will like the most on your cruise.

The difference in the Eastern vs Western Caribbean is quite a bit.

If you like to shop and site-see, the ports on the Eastern Iten. are best for that--ST. Thomas and ST. Maartin are the best in the Caribbean and Nasau is wonderful site-seeing. There's not a lot of GREAT activities like snorkling and scuba, etc. (Before all you attackers start, I said not GREAT, they are ok for that but not GREAT.;))

If you want activities, like I said before, then you should stick with the Western Iten. - -Even if you tender into Cozumel, the snorkling and scuba is the BEST. And Grand Cayman's 7-Mile Beach is the most beautiful beach in the Caribbean. Ocho Rios gives you the Dunns Falls to do. (can you tell I'm a little prejudice towards the Western Iten?:rolleyes:

HOpe This Helps.

There wouldn't be a penalty for cancelling and rebooking on the Eastern itinerary, but is there a price difference for the cruise since the time you originally booked? You would need to book it at the current price.

We always book about a year or so in advance and we haven't had the price go down after booking, they've always gone up. (So much for those lovely price reductions some of you have been reporting! :( Although I keep checking! ;) ) Depending on when you booked, it may be more expensive now.

We did the Western itinerary on Mariner and had a fantastic time. :)

I was in Cozumel in December and had a great time. Even more work has been done to repair Cozumel since then, and by July a lot more will be fixed. The reason other cruise lines are switching some (but not all itineraries, just a few) is to reduce the number of ships in port on a given day. Before when the piers were used Cozumel could accommodate a lot more ships than now when they have to tender in. The advantage is Cozumel is now a lot less crowded than it was before Hurricane Wilma.

From what I've seen, they are rerouting to Costa Maya. We had a wonderful time there. Don't change your cruise just because they reroute you to Costa Maya. Go to Majahal for the day, it was wonderful. Good beach location, cheap drinks and food and wonderful massages on the beach. Just my two cents.

:) I was in Cozumel pre-Wilma (Sensation, June 2005) and post-Wilma (Conquest, December 2005) and had a great time on both occasions. The bad news about the December visit was that we had to be tendered in since the piers had not yet been rebuilt. The good news was that the tenders drop you right smack dab in front of the downtown area. This meant we didn't have to take a cab to and from the downtown area like we did back in the summer. Conzumel is great and the people could not be friendlier.

From what I've seen, they are rerouting to Costa Maya. We had a wonderful time there. Don't change your cruise just because they reroute you to Costa Maya. Go to Majahal for the day, it was wonderful. Good beach location, cheap drinks and food and wonderful massages on the beach. Just my two cents.

Royal Caribbean is NOT rerouting to Costa Maya, they are still going to Cozumel. And even the lines that are taking SOME ships from Cozumel are not sending them all to Costa Maya.

My TA called a bit ago and told me that she had taken care of everything. She gave me the new price.....a savings of 2.21 pp. ;) The cabin is on the same deck which is number 2. She told me that she had taken care of everything and understood my concerns about Cozumel but that I really should not worry. I really want to do the Eastern Caribbean so I am happy now until the next cruise crisis....what to wear!!!!!!

Thanks for all of your feedback.

I love both itineraries - western and eastern. I know a great jeweler in St. Maarten if you want beautiful jewelry. Be careful scuba diving or snorkeling in St. Maarten as it is where the Caribbean Sea meets the Atlantic and it gets rough on the dive boats. St. Thomas is also amazing and the beaches are also gorgeous. Make sure you hit up the banana daquiri place at the top of the mountain (I belive it is called Mountain Top). I am glad you are happy about your decision

Archived