OMG regarding credit

winny63

i just read somewhere you have to have at least 700 per person on your credit card available.. we just spent all our money on tickets and have maybe 1000 total for the two of us to spend.. is it true? we leave tommorow would they send us off the ship for this?

Diane

If you are using your credit card for onboard expenses, they will put a "temporary charge" on your card to ensure that you have enough available. I'm not sure how much that would be, but if you have excursions booked with the line. or if they charge that 10/day/person, they may take that much. I don't think they will throw you off the ship, but they may suggest either settling up with cash or limit your usage.

They don't put that much of a hold on your credit card, but if you only have $500 each for the entire week, you're going to have to watch your spending closely. Those bar tabs and trips to the photo shop add up quickly, as do the internet charges. At the most, they probably will put a $250 per person hold on your credit card.

I've never heard of this, but here are my random thoughts on the subject:

Assuming you've had the card for a while and have been a good customer, it's more likely that the credit card will "okay" the charges, up your limit, and possibly charge you a fee for going over your credit limit. If you're charged a fee because the ship "puts a hold" on your credit, I think you'd have a good case to refuse any fees.

I don't think the credit card company will reject your charges; they want to make money from you, and they know that with all the choices out there, they can't afford to make you angry.

They don't put that much of a hold on your credit card, but if you only have $500 each for the entire week, you're going to have to watch your spending closely. Those bar tabs and trips to the photo shop add up quickly, as do the internet charges. At the most, they probably will put a $250 per person hold on your credit card.
I think $500/person is PLENTY for a week. In fact, my family of four usually spends less onboard.

Holland America puts on a hold of $60 per person per day, so for our recent 10 day cruise that was $1200. Obviously in the end they only charge you for what you purchase. Have no idea how they would handle it if we didn't have the $1200 available on our line of credit. I do believe you can prepay the amount in cash if you don't want the hold on your card. Not sure if that helps you. As someone else said, either read your cruise documents or call your cruise line and ask.

Common practice... not just a cruise line thing. Typically, a hold will be placed on your credit card to reserve the amount they expect you to charge. This hold is generally double what they expect you to pay.

Why do companies do this...? Well, say you have a $1000 limit on a credit card, with a $500 balance. You now only have $500 you can use.

Let's say that a cruise line suspects you will spend $500 on your cruise. They will want to place a hold of $500 on your card... even though you have not spent that amount yet... effectively maxing out your $1000 limit. Now they have guarenteed that you have enough funds on your credit card account, that they will be paid at the end of your cruise.

This assures the cruise line that if you go into one of the ports, you will not max out your credit card before the end of the cruise, and place the cruise line in jepardy of not receiving payment of your final cabin bill.

I didn't realize they put a hold on your credit card either, but we've never come anywhere near spending that much per person anyway. One thing to remember re credit cards when you are going to be out of the country or anywhere far from home is to call the credit card company and let them know where you will be. Otherwise, if the company sees charges coming in from places that are abnormal for you spending habits, ie Jamaica, Cozumel, Arbuba, etc., they may shut down your credit in an attempt to prevent fraud. (In case your card or number was stolen and is being used outside your normal spending area.)

It's no fun to be relying on your credit card for most purchases and be blocked from using it. Also embarrassing. So call customer service and tell them where and when you will be gone. Should be no problem then.

All cruise lines do this and so do many hotels. Check the fine print.;)

If your card has a low limit and it is tied up with the "hold" you will have a problem trying to purchase things on shore. :eek:

With some cards you can see on your account what they verify or reserve, it usually happens 2-3 times during the cruise and usually is no more than 3-4 hundred. That is only a range depending on your cruise length. Mine have never been more than I would have spent.

Hello,

We're sailing on the Valor in March and we spoke with a Carnival representative about this the other day. She said they put a hold of $50 per person on a debit card. When you go over that $50, they put a hold on another $50, etc. We were very clear in stating that we were asking about a debit card..not a credit card. Guess we'll follow the advice here and call again to confirm that information.

Just thought you might want to know.

Spivey

Back when I was younger and had less credit but better thighs we traveled to Disneyland for a trip. The hotel put a hold on the card for the cost of the room and potential charges. Then they ran the actual bill bill but did not release their initial hold. This caused the card to go over the allowed amount and cause a decline. So after a fun day in the park I arrived back to a nasty message that my card was declined. Took about 30 min and 3 phone calls which the hotel agreed to pay for. My credit was good and so they increased my spending limit and the hotel released the hold but for a few minutes I was freaked.

Over the last few days this board has made me feel old. I think I'm going to bed!

We cruise about 2 times a year. We ALWAYS give our debit card as the card for onboard expenses. Most people have a $500 limit per day (or per charge) with a debit card for security reasons. That can always be "lifted" if you call your bank prior to any larger expense you want to go through. We have NEVER had a problem and we always spend more than $500 onboard. We usually give the card at check-in, monitor our charges prior to the last day at sea, then pay any balance above that $500 with either cash or travelers checks. If you want to use your debit card for your whole amount (over $500) and you have that standard security limit, you can just go to the Purser's desk and ask them to put through a specified amount under $500 earlier in the cruise, then go back again later in the cruise and pay any balance with the same card.

I'm not sure why the anxiety about using a credit card is. Just pay it off at the end of the month. If you have the money in your checking for using a debit card, you should have money at the end of the cruise to pay your credit card. No games... no hassles... and you don't have to worry about fraudulent use.

And some folks are smart enough to use a credit card that gives cash back...:D

Several things to keep in mind when using credit cards while traveling on RCCL:

1) Always call the credit card company before you leave for vacation and let them know the Ports you will be in. Also, let them know that the charges from the cruise ship come from MIAMI.

2) Monitor with the Purser your daily charges. We've found errors almost every cruise.

3) LOCK UP your Credit Card in the safe when you are onboard! Leaving your wallet on the counter, even for a short period of time, is not safe.

4) If you are going to be traveling for a week or longer, and feel that your credit card limit isn't very high, you can call the Credit Card company to increase your spending limit. Based on your prior spending and payments, they will probably help you out. But be aware that if you do this, that spending limit is permanent unless you call them and ask to roll-it-back to its previous amount. If you are in the process of applying for additional credit or buying a house, this may impact qualification, so monitor that limit carefully.

We never give our debit card for a hotel/cruise hold.

If for some reason they deduct or hold a disputed amount of CASH we are sol until the whole thing gets worked out.

We ALWAYS use a credit card in good standing because if there is a dispute I can get the credit card company involved and while the whole thing is being sorted out I still have my actual cash in my bank account.

(yes this was one of life's expensive live and learn lessons for me)

I have called credit card companies and had them bump up my line of credit in anticipation of a big trip so we don't have any problems.

I'm only 21 and my credit line is only 1100 dollars. I plan on using my credit card for on board purchases, and my debit card for purchases in the ports (bars, shopping). Do any of you see any potential problems?

My line of credit is freed up so even if they put a 500 hold on my credit card I should still have 600 dollars available.

Am I good to go?

My two cents: Be careful using Debit cards for any type of transaction where they run a "hold" or pre-authorization amount. I once used a debit card at a hotel where the pre-auth amount was supposed to be $60.00 for one night and the careless hotel clerk accidentally ran it through as $600.00. This was a Friday night and after several calls to my bank they still couldn't do anything about it and I had to wait until the following Wednesday afternoon until the pre-auth cleared.

Normally this wouldn't have been a problem, but when you're talking $600 cash tied up while you're away from home on vacation spending money, it's not a good thing.

Archived