Island Princess - Cabins - Hawaii Questions

Tom O.

2 Questions

1. I am planning one of those 15 day cruises from L.A. to Hawaii aboard the Island Princess. The cruises I am looking at go to Hilo first and work their way around to Kauai. We will be booking a balcony room and want to know if one side of the ship might be a little more scenic than the other. I realize that there's nothing but sea going and coming, but I am thinking about the part of the cruise where we are cruising around the island, and docking as well.

2 I notice on some cruises the port at Kauai is Port Allen and on others it is Nawiliwili. Why do they change it? And which one is better.

I can't answer all your questions, but I can tell you that you will love the Island Princess. We sailed her in Alaska this summer and she was our favorite ship yet. We decided on one of the Caribe (BA) balconies since we spent so much time on the balcony in Alaska. Since we were in two cabins next to each other, the combined balcony was HUGE.

We did a circle the islands of Hawaii a couple years ago on NCL. We did all the same ports as you'll be visiting and I can honestly say it would not matter which side you were on. We were port and enjoyed two things -- watching the "send off" in Honolulu and watching the captain manoeover us into Nawiliwili, which was neat. Aside from that, it didn't really matter. One of the nicest things about the Isalnd Princess is that the views from the various outside decks are not obstructed by that safety platic some ships have. The rails are low enough that you get great views. To me, the very best deck is the secret rear deck on the Caribe. You can see everything from back there -- it'll be a great place to watch lava flow if you go southerly past the Big Island. We sat out there many a day completely alone watching dophins, etc. You will reallky enjoy the Island Princess. Best steak I've ever eaten (the Bayou) and best "show" I've ever seen on a cruise ship (The crew's 50s,60s70s night with MUCH audience participation).

If you have any more questions, I will be happy to answer.

We did the Island Princess 15 day cruise in October 2004. Here is the link to the Yahoo group site I set up for the cruise that has lots of links, pictures and other information about the cruise that may answer some of your questions.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/islandprincess100604/

Have a great next cruise.

Your best bet on any cruise is an aft cabin if you can get it.

On a Hawaiian cruise, get a balcony on the port side. Heading westbound towards the Islands, after 2 days out the weather will become quite tropical. The tradewinds come from the northeast, and the movement of the ship keeps pace with this tailwind. You can sit out on your balcony all day on the third and fourth day out with no wind and no need to fight the snowbirds on the pool deck to get a chaise. If you're on the port side of the ship, you will get all the sunshine you need.

The ship anchors off Kailua-Kona and also off Lahaina. If you can get a balcony on the port side of the ship, it's quite pleasant to have a room service breakfast out on your balcony while in your robe, enjoying the view.

Incidentally, we never go to breakfast anymore on cruises. Using room service, you can order the same menu as they have in the dining room (you just have to ask), with no need to rush from the cabin, especially on those 8 sea days.

It really makes the trip very special.

I wanted to thank all the kind responses. I have now gone ahead and booked the cruise for Dec 5th. So I have something to look forward to all year.

I heard some people say port side is best, and somewhere else I read that starboard is better, but most people said it didn't make any difference.

I ended up booking a starboard side balcony E301. On this particular cruise the ship follows a different route than most others do. It goes to Kona first, then Hilo, Honolulu, Kauai, and finally Lahaina. So, the views could be different than what others have seen. Of course, they could change the order by next December.

Thanks again.

On this particular cruise the ship follows a different route than most others do. It goes to Kona first, then Hilo, Honolulu, Kauai, and finally Lahaina. So, the views could be different than what others have seen.

The view don't change depending upon the order of port calls. In Kauai, Hilo and Honolulu the ship docks, so it doesn't matter really what side you're on. In Lahaina and Kailua-Kona, the ship anchors offshore. All vessels turn into the wind, and on the lee side of Maui and the Big Island, all ships will eventually have the bow pointing towards the southeast because of the tradewinds. Thus, if your balcony is on the port side of the ship, you will see the nearby shoreline and you can watch the tenders come and go. If you have a starboard cabin, offshore Kailua-Kona you'll see only ocean and offshore Lahaina you'll see Lanai in the distance.

All of this is a lot of fine-tuning IMHO, because Hawaii is magnificent no matter what your vantage point is. However, since you asked, that's the reason to have a portside cabin.

Between the islands nothing matters because in December it will be dark when the ship is underway.

My choice of cabin would be whichever would be the best side to see the volcano at night from my balcony cabin. That would be port side if your cruise goes to Kona followed the next day by Hilo or starboard side if ship goes to Hilo first and then Kona the next day. The volcano is between Hilo and Kona. Sometimes the ship will turn around so that it is visible from each side, sometimes not. Sometimes the view can be pretty spectacular and other times not much to see - just depends on how active the volcano is. If you do not have a balcony, just be on deck during this time. As I remember it was sometime after 10 pm on the trips we've taken.

On a cruise some years ago, we passed the south coast of the Big Island at midnight on New Year's eve. It wasn't that big a deal, mainly because the glowing lava is not really an explosive event and also because the ship remains some distance off shore. You saw a little red in the distance, but it wasn't something particularly memorable.

A bigger show is watching the dozens of people taking flash pictures of it all with tiny digital cameras.

It's similar to whale watching in Alaska. You think you may be treated to Shamu swimming alongside the tour boat. In fact, most of what you see is some distance away and it's over before you realize that it's taking place.

Archived