MISSION IMPOSSIBLE!

RedneckBob

4 hours ago, misterkevin said:

I was also driven to look to other lines when I saw how much Celebrity fares have risen disproportionately to competitors. Over the years of cruising with Celebrity, we have moved from Aqua to Suite class because of the experience and amenities. It's always been fabulous.

Even entry level suites are now priced up to 30% more than luxury competitors. As such, we've booked a southern caribbean 7-day out of Barbados on Seabourn in March of 2022 for 30% less than a Sky Suite on Celebrity. Some, but not all, of the difference in price will be absorbed by the added airfare and cost of Wi-Fi, but I'm hoping that the atmosphere and service will exceed our expectations. Further, promotions on Seabourn are giving us refundable, reduced deposits and $1600 in onboard credit for the cabin between the line and my TA.

It's too bad, because I love the Celebrity brand. However, I'm skeptical that these inflated prices will stand over time. Perhaps the increase will make up for reduced demand right now, and the fares will be more deeply discounted as the future embarkation dates approach? Regardless, these current fares are out of line relative to Celebrity competitors. If Oceania, Azamara, Viking, Regent, Silversea, Seabourn, or Crystal have itineraries at equal or less fares, Celebrity will lose loyalists like myself and many of you on this thread.

Well said. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, misterkevin said:

I was also driven to look to other lines when I saw how much Celebrity fares have risen disproportionately to competitors. Over the years of cruising with Celebrity, we have moved from Aqua to Suite class because of the experience and amenities. It's always been fabulous.

Even entry level suites are now priced up to 30% more than luxury competitors. As such, we've booked a southern caribbean 7-day out of Barbados on Seabourn in March of 2022 for 30% less than a Sky Suite on Celebrity. Some, but not all, of the difference in price will be absorbed by the added airfare and cost of Wi-Fi, but I'm hoping that the atmosphere and service will exceed our expectations. Further, promotions on Seabourn are giving us refundable, reduced deposits and $1600 in onboard credit for the cabin between the line and my TA.

It's too bad, because I love the Celebrity brand. However, I'm skeptical that these inflated prices will stand over time. Perhaps the increase will make up for reduced demand right now, and the fares will be more deeply discounted as the future embarkation dates approach? Regardless, these current fares are out of line relative to Celebrity competitors. If Oceania, Azamara, Viking, Regent, Silversea, Seabourn, or Crystal have itineraries at equal or less fares, Celebrity will lose loyalists like myself and many of you on this thread.

@misterkevinI agree with you and like you have just booked my first Luxury cruise line today.   I put my money where my mouth is. A concierge suite on Regent Seven Seas for a 2022 Alaska cruise.  Not only are all specialty restaurants and four unlimited WiFi log ons included but so is air fare, transfers, a five star hotel stay, every port excursions, premium liquors and a mini bar in suite plus much more. My TA will slso give me a $1,450 rebate after the cruise because EVERYTHING is included with no need for OBC.

In 2014 I began booking Celebrity exclusively, but LLP successively convinced me to try additional lines  three years ago for the value/quality as she diminished hers.  So now I have four cruises on the books. Two Azamara aft cabins next year; an Apex S1 and Regent Seven Seas in 2022.  Too bad. They could have kept the revenue had they not wanted to cut corners/costs and attract younger passengers with loud, blaring music.

I realize LLP won't miss my bookings, but neither will I miss her Celebrity.  I may include a cruise here or there when it suits.  But no loyalty from me going forward.

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 1

I'm not watching prices at all right now. Celebrity's pricing seems to have increased, yes, but who knows how long it will take demand to rebound. Using Princess as a baseline, Celebrity's prices aren't that crazy when you add in drinks, WiFi and tips. If there truly is the pent up travel demand they are hoping for, prices will hold. If not, they will come down as each line fights for any and every passenger they can get. 

There are some outliers that allow you to get on a Regent/Seabourn/Azamara type line at a near-Celebrity price, but IMO that's not a 1:1 comparison. While we could do a Regent cruise for a similar price as what we're paying for our next cruise, I don't think their product is for us and would continue to spend my money on Celebrity. 

Edited by paulh84

3 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

@misterkevinI agree with you and like you have just booked my first Luxury cruise line today.   I put my money where my mouth is. A concierge suite on Regent Seven Seas for a 2022 Alaska cruise.  Not only are all specialty restaurants and four unlimited WiFi log ons included but so is air fare, transfers, a five star hotel stay, every port excursions, premium liquors and a mini bar in suite plus much more. My TA will slso give me a $1,450 rebate after the cruise because EVERYTHING is included with no need for OBC.

In 2014 I began booking Celebrity exclusively, but LLP successively convinced me to try additional lines  three years ago for the value/quality as she diminished hers.  So now I have four cruises on the books. Two Azamara aft cabins next year; an Apex S1 and Regent Seven Seas in 2022.  Too bad. They could have kept the revenue had they not wanted to cut corners/costs and attract younger passengers with loud, blaring music.

I realize LLP won't miss my bookings, but neither will I miss her Celebrity.  I may include a cruise here or there when it suits.  But no loyalty from me going forward.

Steve,

Bye,

Sorry we'll never meet.

Pee

I guess Mission Impossible became “Elementary, my dear RedneckBob”.

As most of y’all figured out each code represented the date of selling, ship (Equinox and Apex), what I originally paid for cruise and current price. Cruise number #4 is most interesting.12 day Caribbean that was a L&S from 5/2/21, now priced at $285/day/person.

Over the past five years I have really enjoyed sailing Celebrity, great inclusive deals ranging in price from $135 to $175 per day per person for a Verandah, Deck 7. But I will not pay double the price for the same product. RedneckBob has spoken.

• Like 1