Great Land Dining Plan

LadysmithBC

We’re considering a “Yukon and Denali Land and Sea Journey”.  An option offered is the “Great Land Dining Plan”, which provides a number of meals for the land portion of the trip (10 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 10 dinners).   Could anyone who has used the plan offer comments:  convenience, quality of food, cost (I have not seen a cost for the plan), value for money, would you use it again, availability and cost of alternatives, etc. 

Thanks in advance.

I was wandering around the web the other day and came across a lot of reviews of the package.  Most reviews indicated it wasn't worth it however with Covid and likely closures it might be worth considering.  I am scheduled for a Denali tour next year and look forward to hearing the responses.

It tried the dining plan once so that I could evaluate it for CC.  On subsequent trips,, I paid my own way and saved almost half of the plan cost.  To make it worthwhile, you need to order the most expensive item on the menu (entree and dessert)..  My experience in Denali is that the portions are huge at the Karsten's House  Restaurant near the lodges.  While at the McKinley Resort, you need to take the bus to the Canyon Inn Steak House to find expensive items to maximize your meal voucher.

Here is a link that might be helpful:

https://cruiseweb.com/images/HAL_2018AlaskaLandSea_DiningPlan.pdf

and McKinley Resort Steak House menu:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/denali/mckinley-resort/nggallery/page/5

There are restaurant in all of the cities on the Yukon portion of the land journey.that have cheaper prices than your hotel restaurants. 

• 3 years later...

Can anyone report what this plan costs in 2024?

And if we don't take this plan, is there reasonable off-plan priced dining in or near the McKinley Chalet and the hotel in Fairbanks? We'll have only one night in each location.

Also, is there an off-plan way to eat on the train from Whittier to Denali? Food available on-board? Buy a box lunch somewhere before boarding?

Thanks.

There is a dining car on the train.  The food is very good.  You can pay with your credit card.  Almost everybody choses to go to the dining car.

You don’t need to take the plan.  You can still eat at any venue.  There are plenty of places to eat at Denali.  We prefer to eat in the bar at the Fairbanks Westmark.  It’s easy to eat at the breakfast buffets at the hotels in the morning.   Denali has the buffet at Karstens, you can choose the full buffet or the cheaper Continental.

No need to get the meal plan.  It is more expensive than pay as you go.

1 hour ago, Cruisin_thru_Retirement said:

Can anyone report what this plan costs in 2024?

And if we don't take this plan, is there reasonable off-plan priced dining in or near the McKinley Chalet and the hotel in Fairbanks? We'll have only one night in each location.

Also, is there an off-plan way to eat on the train from Whittier to Denali? Food available on-board? Buy a box lunch somewhere before boarding?

Thanks.

HAL can give you the prices.

• Like 2