Any up to date reports from the Channel ports?

batholiver

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Depends on who is paying for the extra costs involved.

If a truck going from Europe to Ireland has increased costs by going direct to Ireland from France, that doesn't affect the UK does it ?. Perhaps Ireland need to sort that out. Oh they can't do that can they, the don't have sovereignty.

29 minutes ago, wowzz said:

BBC News - Brexit: 'Most difficult week I've had in this job in 20 years'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55659006

I would however agree with you that delays caused by the need for negative CV19 results are not Brexit related.

All the hauliers mentioned in that article are UK ones exporting things like fresh meat, most imported fresh veggies will be brought in by foreign vehicles.  So far the supermarkets are not reporting any issues, although I would be surprised if they were not affected, but it's a bit pointless speculating until we know some hard facts.

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, zap99 said:

If a truck going from Europe to Ireland has increased costs by going direct to Ireland from France, that doesn't affect the UK does it ?. Perhaps Ireland need to sort that out. Oh they can't do that can they, the don't have sovereignty.

Nothing to do with sovereignty,  it's a commercial decision, and either the seller or the purchaser will incur the additional costs. 

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Or the haulier reduces his price, which depends on the competition.

Far be it for me to make insinuations, but in a previous life when I had to arrange transport of chilled goods from Ireland to the UK, it was surprising how similar all the freight charges were. Obviously, just coincidence !

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

No, an Irish company, exporting Irish goods to the EU, nothing to do with the Irish government. 

The original discussion revolved around hauliers going directly from Cherbourg to Ireland rather than from Calais to Dover and then across the UK to the Welsh ports. Where do increased costs impact on UK.

17 minutes ago, zap99 said:

The original discussion revolved around hauliers going directly from Cherbourg to Ireland rather than from Calais to Dover and then across the UK to the Welsh ports. Where do increased costs impact on UK.

They don't.   

• Like 1