Encore Haven HF vs HE...

EleventyBangBang

So, I'm staring to think about our mid-May Encore trip, which definitely probably maybe might possibly happen. 

Thinking about bidding on upgrades.  I see two Haven categories, HF "Haven Courtyard Penthouse with Balcony" and HE "Haven Courtyard Penthouse with Large Balcony".  Mock bookings indicate one would pay several hundred dollars less for the "Large Balcony" which doesn't make sense to me.  Why would the "Large" balcony be cheaper, and by a good margin, with everything else about these two categories seeming to be the same?

The only other difference I can determine is that the more expensive non-Large ones are ONLY on deck 18, but the Large ones are on both 17 and 18.  Is there some other advantage to being on deck 18 over deck 17 that I'm loo low-class to understand?

6 hours ago, EleventyBangBang said:

Is there some other advantage to being on deck 18 over deck 17 that I'm loo low-class to understand?

There is no real advantage for deck 18 other than maybe having a little more privacy on the balcony since it isn't exposed from above like the deeper deck 17 balconies are. In addition to having "less deep" balconies, deck 18 has the potential of early morning noise from the movement of deck chairs on deck 19. The only "large" balcony HE on deck 18 is 18126 which is slightly wider than standard but not deeper like the same balcony on deck 17. 

There seem to be plenty of staterooms available and from what I can see, deck 17 is less expensive. 

Go for deck 17. A winning bid could put you in 18126, though. 

Edited by Two Wheels Only

If you like to lounge on a balcony then a large balcony is worth the money. Otherwise every cabin in the Encore Haven has advantages and disadvantages.  Some are right next to the Horizon lounge while others next to the Haven restaurant.  My selection was based on being so close to the Horizon lounge.  We had our own private door (outside our door) directly into the Horizon lounge. It was so close that it felt like part of the cabin.  You could stroll there for coffee, juice, muffins in the morning or afternoon.  And it was peaceful and quiet.  For this reason and the large balcony, I like deck 17.  But deck 18 would not scare me away with a better price.  This was our balcony in 17100.  I have done multiple mock bookings over the years and never saw the difference more than $50-$100 for deck 17 vs 18.

DSCN0053.JPG

Edited by david_sobe

As this is a bidding to upgrade I would bid for both categories as you are not guaranteed to get either and stay where you. 

If you were just booking then it depends whether you like a large balcony and would spend time on it. Being on the haven, for us, balcony size wasn't a factor as we could use the haven facilities. But as you say it's less than if I was booking then I would go for that.

However like I said this is a bidding to upgrade so hedge your bet and bid for both. Hopefully one of both your bids will be successful