Using birth certificate for identification

welovecruzin

I was told that you are not required to have a passport until the end of 2006. I seem to remember that as of a certian year birth certificates started automatically having the state's raised seal. Does anyone know what year? It may be a state thing. I am from Pennsylvania.

Our entire family (20 people) are cruising in April. Most of us have passports but two nephews don't. They are in their 20's and keep saying that they have their birth certificates but my Mother is getting nervous that they might not be the correct raised seal ones. She can't contact their mother because of a family situation. Their father, my brother has passed away and their mother is not in communication with our family.

I would appreciate any information. Thanks.

As long as the birth certificate is one that was issued by the state and not the hospital, the certificates will be OK. My daughter and her beau planned a cruise. I kept asking to see his BC just to be sure. He finally brought over the certificate that had been issued by the hospital. It was a nice memory but it wasn't official. We made a made scramble into NYC to get his official BC before the cruise. He would have been turned away at the dock with it. Not all BC's have a raised seal. It just must be an original from the Gov't of the state.

Nephews keep saying not to worry but we are afraid that your situation is going to be exactly what will happen. They live in NY but were born in PA

I told my Mom to keep after them until she is sure they have the raised seal. Oh well, my two kids got passports and we have ours too. I know my family is going!!!:D

Perhaps if you tell your nephews that they WILL be left at the dock waving to y'all, that might make them get their b/cs to you...? (I've seen that happen to one couple - she was in tears, and her DH was very upset. They did NOT get on the ship!):o

Above correct about all states not using the raised seal any longer. Some use the state watermark paper when issuing new copies.

The suggestion I would offer is to have them send you their birth certificates. I say this because I took my nephew and my son's best friend on a cruise with us and I told their parents that I was putting together packets for each person's documents, which was true. I also had their tickets. Then when I got all the items, I put each one in a plastic folder type thing and made sure each person had what they needed to travel with. Plus when we got to the pier, all I had to do was stand at the counter and when it was each one's turn, I just handed them a folder.

I was told that you are not required to have a passport until the end of 2006. I seem to remember that as of a certian year birth certificates started automatically having the state's raised seal. Does anyone know what year? It may be a state thing. I am from Pennsylvania.

Our entire family (20 people) are cruising in April. Most of us have passports but two nephews don't. They are in their 20's and keep saying that they have their birth certificates but my Mother is getting nervous that they might not be the correct raised seal ones. She can't contact their mother because of a family situation. Their father, my brother has passed away and their mother is not in communication with our family.

I would appreciate any information. Thanks.

It is always a good idea to have a passport when travelling. Your nephews have plenty of time to get to the post office and have one made. It usually takes about 5-6 weeks for a passport to come in the mail, you can also ask them to get it back to you before a specific time, i would suggest 2 weeks before your cruise leaves. They take the photos at the post office(check on-line which post offices in that area do photo passports). The info they ask for, for a passport is photo id, and raised seal bc, both of which you will need to get into a foriegn country. They should just get the passport now, many less headaches this way, and you will know for sure that they will not be turned back at the gate. Price of this sence of security.. about 75 per person, well worth the effort in my book.

Archived