Question about Statendam

cruisegirl

I've been looking at the deck plans for the Statendam - which are the same as the Ryndam and the Veendam. The Lower Promendade Deck has cabins on it and from the diagram it looks like the promendade deck you would walk around. If so I don't want on there as don't want folks walking by my room. Can anyone clarify if I'm right about this?

The passengers do walk outside the rooms, but the windows are one way -- we could see out, but the people on the outside can't see in. On our first cruise, my SO would not believe me that people couldn't see in until he tested it. I had previously tested it by placing a bottle of shampoo on the winow sill -- went outside and couldn't see it.

HOWEVER!! Isn't that a wonderful word. I had read on this board, from the very well informed travelers, that at night, it is possible to see in. We tested that too and it is true. It isn't a full view and a normal household window would be, but the outside walkers can see some of what is going on in the room. Hopefully, it is something interesting.

The assets of this location is that one can be outside in a very short time if there are sights to see or if one wants fresh air.

Well you are correct about the cabins and the promenade walking deck. I am not so sure about seeing inside the cabins.

We have had cabins on this deck three times and never felt there was an issue with people looking in to the cabin. The windows are covered with the film that makes for one way viewing. If it were to happen it would be after dark, but the steward has pulled the drapes by then.

I suppose if you were an exhibitionist you could open the drapes.:D

Bodger

I've had C-category cabins on the lower promenade deck before and have enjoyed it every time. Never felt like anyone was peeping in on me. In the daytime, with the drapes pulled, no one could see inside thanks to the treated windows and the outside brightness. In the evenings it's still hard to see inside because (1) the glass tinting and bright promenade lights make it difficult to see inside without cupping your eyes and pressing your nose hard up against the glass, and (2) they usually close the drapes at night. :D

Once we had an outside cabin on the Lower Promanade deck on the Statendam. Like others have said, you can not see into the cabins from the outside during the day but if you leave the curtains open and turn on the lights, you can see in at night. The solution is simple; just close your curtains at night.

One thing I did like about the location of our cabin was it was only a few steps to get out on deck.

Have decided to follow the good advice I got from each of you and have booked a Category C on the Statendam for Alaska. Am sure we'll be pleased with it. And since we decided to not go with the extra expense of a balcony it'll be good to be on a deck where we can go outside quickly to see the sights.

Again, thanks!

Yes you can see in the cabin at night! The first night of our trip on the Ryndam we were walking around the ship to get our bearings. There with the curtains wide open was an elderly overweight women half undressed. What a shocker for my 16 year old son. I think the comment was " Oh my, I didn't need to see that".:eek:

Archived