evening wear with sleves

tgo's

I need some help finding evening wear that has long or 3/4 length sleves.

I have had reconstructive surgery to my arm and elbow (a FABULOUS Dr. and it works now!) that has left some definate scaring. While I don't worry about this day to day - I wear tank tops and short sleves - it is not something I want to show in a formal setting.

Where have you seen fashonable evening wear with a sleve past the elbow?

I bought a sheer black bolero jacket with sequins, found mine at Sears in BC, would something like that work for you?

The bridal store here had some lovely jackets that would have been perfect over a little black dress. Still regret not buying the one I saw last summer when my daughter was getting married:(

Sorry, I don't get across the line much anymore to shop so can't advise as to stores in the Seattle or surrounding area.

Bev

bolero or other type of jacket - I just haven't been seeing them much. A sheer sleeve, or lace will work - I don't need heavy cover, just something that will provide a bit of coverage.

I think I need to try looking at bridal shops as I have seen mentioned on the boards. I have also heard about a couple local consignment shops I want to stop by.

I think a jacket or a long sleved shrug may be the way I need to go unless I finaly see some dresses that realy wow me.

Julie,

Check out the websites listed in this thread.

Where To Shop For Formals - Cruise Critic Message Boards

(or if you happen to be plus size Plus size evening gowns - Cruise Critic Message Boards)

There are a lot of great dresses out there that have long or 3/4 length sleeves.

Also, a pashmina/shawl/wrap type of thing might work.

I'm glad you found a good doc & your arm is working well! :)

Janice,

Thank you for the links.

We tried the wrap look and it didn't give enough coverage.

I dislocated the elbow and broke some bone. Through a series of surgeries my Dr. had to open me from mid-way between shoulder and elbow to nearly mid-way from elbow to wrist. As well I have some "pin points" from where a scafolding was built up around the arm to hold it all in place while it healed. This is not particularly subtle scarring.

A side note - My elbow functions thanks to a gifted Dr., a persistant Physical Therapist, some synthetic prostethics and a generous soul's dontation of their Acilies Tendon. Please, if you can, be an organ and tissue donar. I have learned in the past three years just how much of the human body can continue to do good when you are done with it. -- sermon finished

I am so gratefull to have an arm that functions that I will have to put up with a bit more effort in my shopping.

Julie

I have been told to answer the obvious question - How did you hurt your arm? Believe it or not with an incredibly bad launch on a rope swing. :o I guess there are some games you need to think about giving up when you get to a certain age. :p

Just recently I purchased an evening jacket, it would be perfect for you. Of course, I cannot find it online, but I did link Nordstroms separates for evenings. I don't find the prices to be too expensive for evening wear. But, I have no idea of your budget, so if these are too pricey, try their sale items.

http://store.nordstrom.com/category/cat_boutique-medium.asp?category=2376776~2374327~2374331~6001765~6001770&origin=dressesdd

I would look at www.bloomingdales.com

they very often have a suit with a jacket, long skirt, long sleeved jacket in evening fabric and style. I would think it would be fine for a formal affair as it's not a "business suit" but an evening suit and is advertised basically as such. I've never been on a cruise, but I could see wearing it to formal functions and very often they have in regular and plus sizes. Check out the sale/clearance section too as they may have some in there as well.

Because I have some time untill the cruise I am going to do some looking and hope I strike gold with at sale - the more I save the more I have to spend on the cruise. ;)

I had been leary of the idea of an evening jacket. It just seemed so "mother of the bride" in my mind. The jackets on Nordstrom gave me a whole new perspective. Thank You!! I like the options of dressing in seperates - I will be gone for two weeks and need to be sure that anything I pack can work more than one way.

You have given me a lot of inspiration. Now it's off to the stores!

Archived