Ending Tour in Rio de Janeiro

sissy2000

We are looking at a cruise tour that will end in the morning in Rio de Janeiro.  However, our flight will  not leave out till 9:30 that evening.  We will have toured Rio the previous day and gone to Sugarloaf and seen the Christ the Redeemer statue.   Any suggestions on how to fill that day?  Suggestions on companies that might do a tour and transfer to airport that afternoon?   Since we are ending the tour portion in Rio (and not the cruise), I cannot find any ship excursions that will work for us.  Thank you for any suggestions. 

Had this same situation in December 2016:  NCL cruise ended in early AM but flight back to USA not until late PM.  As this was my 2nd visit to Rio, I had already seen all the "usual" tourist sights.

I booked Julio C. from Tours By Locals.com for a $300 8 hour tour (current price is $350).  He picked me up at the cruise terminal, stored my luggage in his vehicle and we went to lots of places in Rio that were new to me.  Had a nice lunch, visited the park/forest that's within the city limits (don't recall the name), Copacabana Beach, etc. and he dropped me off at the airport in plenty of time to check-in for my flight (and, if you happen to fly 1st/Business Class, you can take a shower in the lounge and change into clothes from your carry-on).

Was my first experience with TBL and have booked many, many tours with them since.

Hope this helps you in your planning.  Bon Voyage! 

Edited by LBCABob
tried to add link to ToursbyLocals.com; worked, I think

4 hours ago, LBCABob said:

Had this same situation in December 2016:  NCL cruise ended in early AM but flight back to USA not until late PM.  As this was my 2nd visit to Rio, I had already seen all the "usual" tourist sights.

I booked Julio C. from Tours By Locals.com for a $300 8 hour tour (current price is $350).  He picked me up at the cruise terminal, stored my luggage in his vehicle and we went to lots of places in Rio that were new to me.  Had a nice lunch, visited the park/forest that's within the city limits (don't recall the name), Copacabana Beach, etc. and he dropped me off at the airport in plenty of time to check-in for my flight (and, if you happen to fly 1st/Business Class, you can take a shower in the lounge and change into clothes from your carry-on).

Was my first experience with TBL and have booked many, many tours with them since.

Hope this helps you in your planning.  Bon Voyage! 

Wonderful idea!  Thank you!

Our Oceania cruise in December 2019 ended in Rio. Same thing. Flight didn't leave till 11 pm.  We used the most  wonderful tour guide...Augusto Guimares.....he goes by TOUR GUIDE GUS if you look him up.   gusguide@hotmail.com

I had booked him for2 of us but then he mentioned there was room for another couple in his car. That was maybe $50 more. I went to our roll call and found 2 delightful  ladies travelling  together, who joined us.  

Gus picked us up with our luggage...stopped briefly to a badge where he knew they would hold our luggage (A friend probably) and we spent the day touring. Gud told us how to book our Sugar Loaf and Christ the Redeemer tickets.  We wanted to end with a Brazilian dinner that Locals, not tourists, might go go. Ended by picking up luggage and he dropped us at airport.....note if you have any mobility  issues, ask for a wheelchair. I got talked into one and it was the best thing I did.  Very long walk to our gate. Wheelchair also got us across very long line to check our papers or whatever.

We have been in communication  with Gus several times during covid. Brazil is doing badly. All the guides can use any jobs that will come their way.

3 hours ago, Mrs f. said:

Our Oceania cruise in December 2019 ended in Rio. Same thing. Flight didn't leave till 11 pm.  We used the most  wonderful tour guide...Augusto Guimares.....he goes by TOUR GUIDE GUS if you look him up.   gusguide@hotmail.com

I had booked him for2 of us but then he mentioned there was room for another couple in his car. That was maybe $50 more. I went to our roll call and found 2 delightful  ladies travelling  together, who joined us.  

Gus picked us up with our luggage...stopped briefly to a badge where he knew they would hold our luggage (A friend probably) and we spent the day touring. Gud told us how to book our Sugar Loaf and Christ the Redeemer tickets.  We wanted to end with a Brazilian dinner that Locals, not tourists, might go go. Ended by picking up luggage and he dropped us at airport.....note if you have any mobility  issues, ask for a wheelchair. I got talked into one and it was the best thing I did.  Very long walk to our gate. Wheelchair also got us across very long line to check our papers or whatever.

We have been in communication  with Gus several times during covid. Brazil is doing badly. All the guides can use any jobs that will come their way.

Thank you!

• 1 year later...
On 3/13/2021 at 6:27 AM, Mrs f. said:

Hi Mrs f,

SC native here.  Husband, originally from NJ, and I have booked Gus for our disembarkation day in December.  Our situation is similar in that our flight home is around 10 PM.  I have been concerned about the amount of luggage we will have because it was my understanding that he drives a sedan.  I am interested in your experience regarding luggage, but am not sure what you mean by "stopped briefly to a badge."  Also, what size was his vehicle that held five people and luggage?  I am glad to hear that he was willing to drop you off at the airport.  Would appreciate if you could give me a few more details regarding your experience with him, particularly regarding luggage.  Thanks!

7 hours ago, Ann from SC said:

Hi Mrs f,

SC native here.  Husband, originally from NJ, and I have booked Gus for our disembarkation day in December.  Our situation is similar in that our flight home is around 10 PM.  I have been concerned about the amount of luggage we will have because it was my understanding that he drives a sedan.  I am interested in your experience regarding luggage, but am not sure what you mean by "stopped briefly to a badge."  Also, what size was his vehicle that held five people and luggage?  I am glad to hear that he was willing to drop you off at the airport.  Would appreciate if you could give me a few more details regarding your experience with him, particularly regarding luggage.  Thanks!

I hate auto correct.  Didn't see that error.   There were 4 of us. Pre covid he had a mini van.  One lady had tons of luggage.  Gus knew someone at a hotel where they kept our luggage for the day.  We had him for 2 days. The guy is fantastic.  He met us outside the ship terminal. You walk through a large waiting area to the street.The place is mobbed.  He took us and our luggage to be held and off we went.  

Since our flight was around 11ish, we had booked him for an hour or two extra and asked to be taken to a typical Brazilian restaurant. Then picked up luggage and he took us to airport.

If you have any mobility issues, very long walk from check-in to gate. Check-in lady and hubby convinced me to get a wheelchair.   After 2 knee replacements this was a lifesaver. Would have had difficulty walking such a distance. 

Feel free to email me if you want more info.     marjim48atgmaildotcom 

On 3/12/2021 at 8:48 AM, sissy2000 said:

We are looking at a cruise tour that will end in the morning in Rio de Janeiro.  However, our flight will  not leave out till 9:30 that evening.  We will have toured Rio the previous day and gone to Sugarloaf and seen the Christ the Redeemer statue.   Any suggestions on how to fill that day?  Suggestions on companies that might do a tour and transfer to airport that afternoon?   Since we are ending the tour portion in Rio (and not the cruise), I cannot find any ship excursions that will work for us.  Thank you for any suggestions. 

Look for a private  guide.  Our guide took us to Sugarloaf and Christ the Redeemer, but also to a bunch of other places ...celaron steps, we rode on an old trolley train, walked around ipanema and copacabana beaches . Had an amazing lunch one day at a little local place. Coffee at a very famous patisserie...Confeiteria Colombo. Went to this amazing library.  And more. 

Mrs f, thanks for the info.  Ah, a hotel…that makes sense 😊.  I was able to get in touch with Gus last night and he agreed to take us to the airport for an extra $60 charge.  I am sure we will need the long walk after all the cruise food.  I was happy to read your recommendation and am glad we have him booked.  I think I will feel safe in his hands.  Happy travels!

• 4 months later...

Mooloo....

Bi honestly cannot remember...will look through my notes. But 2 days with Gus cost less than 1 day of touring using Oceania excursions.  And we saw so much. I do remember that besides Gus' fee, we paid the entrance to the sites...Sugarloaf...Chrst The Reedeemer...this wonderful old train that we took for a short while..at the end of our train ride was a local plthat we had a super traditional Brazilian lunch.  We also stopped at Confiteria Colombo for coffee....awesome...I think it's the oldest coffee place in Rio.   Other things like Celaron Steps and this strange, old library and the beacheswere free.

Not sure if Gus and his guide business survived Covid. I know it was very hard on all the guides with zero income for 2 years.  We had a great time with him.

Btw....9:30 flight is good. Ours was around 11:30pm.   We paid Gus overtime and asked him to take us to a Brazilian place for supper and then to the airport.  Went to a lovely small place. Excellent food. At airport after checking in at the United desk, I happened to ask how far our gate was. The woman, who was a little older, looked at me and said it was a pretty long walk. When I pulled out my cane that I used for long walking (pre knee replacement), she suggested getting me a wheelchair and then a golf cart.  I didn't want to but she and my husband convinced me.  Am very thankful for that wheelchair.   I could NEVER have walked all that way.