Favorite shops and dining in Fairbanks?

CruisingGoddess

Our Tanana Valley Farmer's Market is an excellent source for locally crafted souvenirs, crafts and food gifts, but they are only open during the summer.  But the Fairbanks Arts Association operates the Bear Gallery year round, and they sponsor local artists; the Bear Gallery is located on the third floor of the Alaska Centennial Center for the Arts at Pioneer Park and is open Monday through Friday noon to 6 PM during the winter.

Any particular interests in restaurants?  Can I ask where you will be staying (not specifically, but generally, ie, downtown or out of town) and will you have a vehicle?

Our favorite gift shop in Fairbanks was the Craft Market Gift Shop, 401 5th Ave, Fairbanks, AK. It was extremely funky and had lots of local stuff. It was across the street from Aloha BBQ Grill, a Hawaiian/Japanese/Korean family run restaurant. We ate there both nights we were in Fairbanks.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

Any particular interests in restaurants?  Can I ask where you will be staying (not specifically, but generally, ie, downtown or out of town) and will you have a vehicle?

For restaurants, we're interested in local food and up for anything pretty much. We like all sorts of cuisines.

We are staying at SpringHill Suites Fairbanks and yes, we'll have a car.

Thanks!

29 minutes ago, CruisingGoddess said:

For restaurants, we're interested in local food and up for anything pretty much. We like all sorts of cuisines.

We are staying at SpringHill Suites Fairbanks and yes, we'll have a car.

Thanks!

If you like dive bars and blues music, check out the Howling Dog Saloon.  It is out of town a bit but the owner of the B&B that we stayed at recommended the place.  She even drove us there and didn't drink alcohol as she was the designated driver.  You don't go there for the food but the band that they had that night was great.  We were there several years ago so I don't know the current status of the place.  I am sure that Northern Aurora has some thought about the place as she lives in Fairbanks.

DON

The SpringHill Suites by Marriott is located downtown between First and Second Avenues.  Lavelles Bistro is located on the ground floor of the property, and is an upscale restaurant; we've enjoyed a number of nice dinners there.  

On Second Avenue just across the street and about half a block down is the Co-op Plaza.  Soba is located inside, and is an interesting Moldovian restaurant.  They have been open for seated dining.

Bobby's is also nearby.  It is a Greek restaurant, but be aware that their service can be extremely slow.  Make a reservation for an early seating.

On Fifth Avenue is the Thai House.  Thai food is really popular here, and the Thai House is most likely the best overall  local Thai restaurant.  Bahn Thai is also located nearby, and we've enjoyed their food too.  I believe both are offering seated dining.

You are also within walking distance of Bistro Jazz (or is it Cafe Jazz).  They feature Cuban food and have  been offering seated dining.

Big Daddy's BBQ is also within easy walking distance, but unless something has changed recently, with Covid-19 they are not operating their restaurant.  A large portion of their business has been their catering operation.  They were one of the restaurants featured on the Guy Fieri (sp?) show taped in Fairbanks.

The Pump House has been open for dinners.  They are not operating their Sunday brunch.  They are on Chena Pump Road, and are in a historic building.  They have been popular for years here, and while they are not my favorite (I would rate Lavelle's higher) we dine there regularly since we live on Chena Ridge and they are so close to our home.

Also close to us is the Lemongrass restaurant offering Thai food.  They are open for seated dining, but are very small in size and have removed a number of their tables since restaurants here are limited to what they can offer in terms of seating capacity.  They are also very good.

Don mentioned the Howling Dog Saloon.  It is located north of Fairbanks in the small community of Fox.  I don't know their status for the upcoming summer.  Last summer they closed due to Covid-19 since they thought they could not socially distance their customers.  

Also in Fox is the Silver Gulch brewery and Bistro.  While their food is very nice, due to Covid they have been offering take-out only on limited days.  I don't know if they have opened to seated dining yet.  And also in Fox is the Turtle Club, which is where locals go when we want prime rib; while their owner recently died (it was quite a surprise) I believe they are open.

For folks who plan to go to the Chena Hot Springs Resort the food at the resort is excellent.  With their thermal energy the resort gardeners can keep the greenhouses at 75 degrees even when it is -50 outside.  In an hour we will be driving up to spend several nights, and the discussion during dinner last night was what we were going to order at the resort.  I can guarantee that tonight my husband will be ordering their rack of lamb, which he thinks is the best lamb he has ever had.

Covid-19 has hit our restaurants hard here, as it has nationally.  I suspect the front desk personnel will know exactly what is currently open for seated dining.