Which Side Is Smoking Side

janny444

Is there a certain side where smoking is allowed on deck or does it depend which ship as to which side is allocated ? 

I am a non smoker  looking to choose a lower deck balcony cabin so would like to choose  the side which doesn't have the potential for smoke to waft up to the balcony

Yes, it does depend on the ship, but there is always one small area of the promenade deck , front starboard I think, but not sure, that allows smoking/vaping, but others vary, usually a higher deck to the stern. If you look on P&O website Q&A it should tell you on there each designated area for each ship, as it varies.

Avril

Frank's a vaper now, or a tooter as he calls it🙄. We only use the smaller ships so my knowledge is limited. Don't be 'afraid'  or made to feel ashamed to be a smoker Zoe, we all have our particular vices, but many of them can be kept hidden😁😉

Avril

38 minutes ago, zoe sproodle said:

Are you looking at a particular ship, janny? I’m afraid I’m one of those smokers so might be able to help you from memory?

Hi....it will be on the Iona

4 minutes ago, janny444 said:

Hi....it will be on the Iona

Ahh - you won’t be surprised that I can’t help with that one. 
We must be one of the few that pick cabins because they are near to a smoking area, although I completely understand why you wouldn’t want to do that

We had a cabin on Ventura and picked a cabin that was on the opposite side from the smoking side D114 only to discover that we were over a vent from the staff smoking area so we kept getting the smell of smoke when we were on the balcony. Looking back should have made more of a fuss about it but we lived and learned ...

Have to say, we spent the first few days blaming the folks on the cabin by the side of us ........ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/8/2021 at 2:39 PM, Presto2 said:

We had a cabin on Ventura and picked a cabin that was on the opposite side from the smoking side D114 only to discover that we were over a vent from the staff smoking area so we kept getting the smell of smoke when we were on the balcony. Looking back should have made more of a fuss about it but we lived and learned ...

Have to say, we spent the first few days blaming the folks on the cabin by the side of us ........ 

Does this mean the smoking side of Ventura is starboard?

I plan on booking a midship balcony cabin on her and drifting smoke would keep us indoors so would really like to know. Thanks

47 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

Does this mean the smoking side of Ventura is starboard?

I plan on booking a midship balcony cabin on her and drifting smoke would keep us indoors so would really like to know. Thanks

It was in 2017 so we booked port side. I remember that as we had a D deck superior deluxe cabin and knew it was close to the open deck so would not have booked one on the smoking side. I remember being really cross that they had the smoking vent on the non smoking side as it didn't make any sense at all.

May be worth checking with P&O though as times can change.

If you have a mid ship balcony cabin on D deck just remember that the prom deck is right below you :0-)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

We are both non smokers but the starboard (right hand) side is the side most often allocated to smokers.

Graham.

Thanks for that.  I most often cruise with Celebrity and it’s the opposite.  This puts me off registering for a cruise and not selecting the room myself.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Presto2 said:

May be worth checking with P&O though as times can change.

If you have a mid ship balcony cabin on D deck just remember that the prom deck is right below you :0-)

Thanks for the full reply; you’ve given me even more to think about.  We had Superior Deluxe cabins on D deck 2 years ago on a 7 day cruise when we travelled with our family. We liked the room well enough but on that cruise the weather wasn’t too good so I wasn’t aware of any disadvantage to that deck. Is it noise?

I suffer from motion sickness and so the plan was ‘low balcony, mid ship’. Decisions!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

We are both non smokers but the starboard (right hand) side is the side most often allocated to smokers.

Graham.

In my earlier post I said I thought it was front starboard. Glad my memory hasn't let me down.😊

Avril

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

Thanks for the full reply; you’ve given me even more to think about.  We had Superior Deluxe cabins on D deck 2 years ago on a 7 day cruise when we travelled with our family. We liked the room well enough but on that cruise the weather wasn’t too good so I wasn’t aware of any disadvantage to that deck. Is it noise?

I suffer from motion sickness and so the plan was ‘low balcony, mid ship’. Decisions!

Why not try deck C ... those cabins look great.  Please don't  go for front port deck d .... there is definitely a smoking vent. Think we have a photo and have posted it before but trust us on this one. Horrible cabins and windy. If you can do aft we know some wonderful cabins 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

In my earlier post I said I thought it was front starboard. Glad my memory hasn't let me down.😊

Avril

On Ventura we would have a drink at the glass House and walk to the theatre and all the smokers were outside on the right hand side where the gents was before we got into the theatre.

Screenshot_20210409_205557_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Presto2 said:

Why not try deck C ... those cabins look great.  Please don't  go for front port deck d .... there is definitely a smoking vent. Think we have a photo and have posted it before but trust us on this one. Horrible cabins and windy. If you can do aft we know some wonderful cabins 

Yes, I was thinking that C deck would be okay but I was looking at one of the longer (Caribbean) round trips and thought a roomier cabin might be preferable.  I would never book a front cabin, too much movement.  I like mid or mid aft but have taken a chance and booked the very back of the ship for the views in Alaska, and was lucky with the weather thankfully, but I could have supplied the ship with Stugeron had we met with rough seas!

Somewhere near the middle without smoke drift and largely just the noise of the ocean on the balcony - not too much to ask 😉.  On one Celebrity Caribbean cruise the folk next door were playing country music on their balcony!

Thanks for your help and tips, much appreciated.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mrsgoggins said:

Yes, I was thinking that C deck would be okay but I was looking at one of the longer (Caribbean) round trips and thought a roomier cabin might be preferable.  I would never book a front cabin, too much movement.  I like mid or mid aft but have taken a chance and booked the very back of the ship for the views in Alaska, and was lucky with the weather thankfully, but I could have supplied the ship with Stugeron had we met with rough seas!

Somewhere near the middle without smoke drift and largely just the noise of the ocean on the balcony - not too much to ask 😉.  On one Celebrity Caribbean cruise the folk next door were playing country music on their balcony!

Thanks for your help and tips, much appreciated.

If you can cope with the aft then we'd go there any day... but appreciate it if you can't cope. We chose d114 over an aft one and regretted it throughout .... oh well you love and learn. Sorry I can't help re mid ships as we usually got for the  very front or the aft ... usually the aft. Can send some photos of the cabin we had on Azura at the back if it helps as it really was amazing and cheap!!!

• Like 1

Smoking on the prom deck on Ventura is starboard side forward. It used to be the whole of that side but they restricted it. The smoking areas on that deck seem to be related to the ‘pub’; on Aurora its port side aft outside of Champions and on Oceana was port forward accessible from the Yacht and Compass.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

D deck for Superior deluxe or 

C deck balcony mid ships would be my choice.

An aft balcony is great for views.

• Like 1