car rental in skagway

bstrayer

I'm looking for a car rental in Skagway as well. I put out another post on this subject a few days ago and someone got back to me and said they got a full size car for $56 + taxes = $65, thru Avis. Not sure if it was thru priceline or not.

Does anyone know how far the Avis rental car agency is from the cruise ship dock?

Thanx.

Good try checking out Priceline. Unfortunately Priceline does not accept bids for Skagway. Once the rental cars get really hot during the summer months Priceline will not accept bids for Anchorage. I can tell you this...the rental cars in Skagway will be cheaper than Anchorage. Book the rental car in Skagway. Tim

I just booked on-line. Not sure if it rates with everyone else's discount codes, but if you're a member of Costco (and I've never been asked to show my costco card). Go to Costco.com, click on travel, then go to car rentals, then click on Avis, I booked on-line for $58.65 ($67.96 with taxes) for a full-size for the day in Skagway.

Tammy

I booked a rental car for July 8 this morning with Avis. The price, including tax, was $59.23 for a full size car. This was using the discount code W046000.

According to Avis the car rental office doesn't open until 8AM on Saturday. Since the Voldendam arrives at 7AM will this cause a problem with tour busses being on the road before then?

• 1 month later...
Actually just found my own answer for discounted rate--so in case anyone else needs to know you must use the discount code of W046000. This is currently showing $51 for a full size car.

Thanks for the code. I had booked a car and could not get an discounts to lower my price of $70. So, using the code got my reservation at $50!

I had tried all the codes I had from AAA, Sams, AARP, Entertainment Book and that was the best.

Thanks for saving me $$$.:D

Old Codger: I walked into town and was second in line at Avis when it opened. Drove the car back to the ship, where everyone was finishing up breakfast, so we didn't leave til 9a.m. Didn't encounter any tour buses at all until we got to Caribou Crossing, which had a few, but place is large enough to accommodate. Most people take the train excursion in Skagway, so we didn't find the highway crowded at all. Enjoy your trip!

No, but you put it in the first discount slot. AWD discount. I got the $50.11 total also. Lowered my cost from my Entertainment Book codes. The Entertainment Book did work at Alamo Airport to get me multiple discounts on a weekly rental of a minivan for $232 total. It beat the heck out of any other vendors I saw for a minivan. We are 4 adults traveling with 2 weeks luggage so we need the space.

• 4 weeks later...

I actually just received a letter about the Alaska Preferred program. It has stickers to put on your credit card to get deals at all Avis locations and had 2 coupons for a free rental upgrade. Anyone else who signed up get this? I'm wondering if we can try to use it in Skagway. I guess it will depend on whether they have any rental cars still available that day or not.

I'm wondering if we can try to use it in Skagway. I guess it will depend on whether they have any rental cars still available that day or not.

If you're planning on getting a car when you arrive (with no reservations), it's not going to happen. They have very few cars in Skagway, and they book up solid weeks in advance.

Murray

Archived