cell phones?

gonegoing

I'm preparing for my first cruise next Sunday, I have a quick question reguarding the usage of cell phones.

Is there generally cell phone service on the ships in general? As relating to not being at a port, but out on the ocean? I know there's the technology out there for the ships to maintain the "bars" on your phone, but do they take advantage of it and allow passengers to gain service on their phone.

I hope I got my point accross well. Thanks in advance!

Some cruise lines have "towers" on board that you can use for some cell phone carriers, at around $.50-1.00/minute, which is much cheaper than the phones in your room. Other boats without towers you can't use your cellphone when you're more than a couple miles from shore.

If you have a specific cruiseline in mind, you might want to ask your question on their own board here at cruisecritic, and list your phone carrier so you can get a more complete answer. good luck!

Very few ships have the capability of using cell phones at sea. Some Celebrity and Royal Caribbean ships have this, but not all. Be aware of the prices charged for this service. When I used my cell on Celebrity Summit, one of the ships that have cell phone service at sea, the charges were more than $6.50 a minute, when you add in their access fees and roaming charges.

Very few ships have the capability of using cell phones at sea. Some Celebrity and Royal Caribbean ships have this, but not all. Be aware of the prices charged for this service. When I used my cell on Celebrity Summit, one of the ships that have cell phone service at sea, the charges were more than $6.50 a minute, when you add in their access fees and roaming charges.

The service is provided by Cingular so if you have Cingular service the cost is only supposed to be $1.99 I believe. If you have another carrier, it is just like any other network, they will add charges.

Well, per the Feb 2006 Cruise Travel, here is what is available ...

Carnival - testing

Celebrity - yes

Costa - yes

Crystal - testing

Cunard - no

Disney - no

HAL - yes

NCL - yes

Princess - no

Radisson - testing

RCI - yes

There is a note that Verizon is not participating. Rates seem to vary between $2/minute to $5/minute.

That said, I wish the cruise lines would not offer cell phone service.

How about from Hawaii to the main land? We have Verizon. Will it work?

As I understand it, the NCL Hawaii ships do not have cell phone access because they spend their entire time in Hawaii, and calls from Hawaii are just like calls from any of the other 49 states. In 2003 my cell phone (then AT&T) worked just fine from the Big Island.

• 2 months later...

I travelled round trip LA to Hawaii on the Island Princess last April and my Verizon worked at all the Hawaiian Islands until a mile or so offshore without additional charge. You will not get service around Ensenada (if your itinerary includes this) until you are a mile or so from LA/CA coast.

Archived