I am ready to Cruise Again My Thoughts

My last Cruise was on a 21 Day Royal Caribbean around the Med and then the Trans Atlantic back to Tampa. I am Diamond with Royal Caribbean so no cruising is not new to me.  When I saw the Carnival Panorama being debuted I knew I had to try it. I got an opportunity for this October but just a few days ago I spent hours reading the news, reading the CDC guidelines and made the most educated decision to move it to the last week in February 2022 just before Spring Break with good days ahead.

I am one to " Wait and See" while I am not scared to cruise now because I survived an almost 2 week vacation to Las Vegas last October having tested negative pre and post vacation and wearing a mask and practicing social distancing and washing my hands often I wanted to see what travel really was like during a Pandemic. I flew on Southwest nonstop from SJC-LAS-SJC and moved hotels more than once.  It was not as crowded and I loved my trip more than I could ever have imagined. I ate indoors and even went to the Cosmo Buffet where I was served by the staff. I actually preferred it.   This was my "test cruise".  I did not mind there not being any shows. I went to the Mob Museum, rode the Deuce Bus, ate at good restaurants and had fun.

My "test cruise" basically simulated what life would be like back when cruising started again.  Now with my upcoming 2022 Cruise what I learned from the Princess Cruise  which sat off the coast literally  in my backyard and in the Port of Oakland is to sail in nothing lower than a Balcony.  That Princess Cruise hit home on a deep level and  after watching the news stories and Documentaries I immediately had to understand what took place and when would I feel comfortable getting onboard a ship. Getting Vaccinated was the first words that came out of my mouth!

Interestingly enough one of my  contacts went on a Expedition Cruise to  Antartiica and I warned her to reconsider going as this was back in late Feb/March. I take PE at our local  Community college for enrichment and  we closed down around March 17th.  This contact got upset about the info I had about Brazil and Argentina potentially closing down-it did. They had them go to the Falkland Islands on the extended portion and be flown back to San Fran from there after getting authorization from the cruise company.   I even had this hunch back in late January 2020 after I returned from New Mexico visiting my Grandmother. Back then there were no masks and everything was normal that the Cruise industry would have a major downfall if they did not close down Cruising then. I was sadly proven right and the contact told me about how they returned them back to the USA. If they had waited until  a year later or more to take the cruise perhaps  they would have had a safer experience. Luckily they were not stranded onboard. My point is listen to your instincts. 

What if God Forbid we had to stay in our cabin due to COIVD or for whatever reason at least I would have a place to get fresh air.  Before COVID I could care less and book an Interior.  

As a Solo Traveler I am more flexible than traveling with Parents or other people for that matter.   I am prepared to book the Ship Sponsored Shore Excursions which I did on Royal Caribbean and I am also familiar with independent excursions too.  When the CDC announced the restart of cruising for this Summer I was ready to go in October since last year before the CDC released their data.  I chose to move my Cruise to  the last week in February 2022 before Spring Break and after the Holidays when the weather is good. 

I am mentally deprograming everything I know about cruising since I started in 2012 and have taken 1 Trans Atlantics Every year since then plus a 2 week Med Cruise on the QE2, 2 week Ft. Lauderdale to Los Angeles on Princess and a Suez Canal Cruise on Royal Caribbean,. I taught myself the ropes.  I have learned to take any problems in stride. In fact on our last Med/ Trans Atlantic Cruise  My Father and I got a very bad Sore Throat and other symptoms and it passed to my Mother too. It could have been COVID or another infection it was going around the ship. Luckily  since then we have not gotten sick thanks to masks,

What I learned from this mask wearing, social distancing and sanitizing is that it really helps to prevent virus along with Vaccines. As I am prone to lung infections I took my Prevnar Vaccines.    In fact even before COVID on cruises I was washing my hands often and even then I came away with a cold but I could handle that with antibiotics.  Just think about how much we learned.

I am Data Driven and know that the CDC has the best interest for the most part of the US Citizens.  I am deeply saddened of the many lives we lost due to COVID and those still recovering and the situation in India.   What we have learned is to be kinder to one another. I am sure we will see less of the pushy customers, hopefully less brawls and kinder cruisers and Staff.

The takeaway from my post is to remain flexible.  Cruising will always be there but perhaps in a renewed sense.   Am I afraid of what the future holds? Heck No because I can still be out on the open Sea.  I loved my  Balconies on the Royal 3 week Cruise and for me having this private place to call home and order room service or a Pizza is a treat for me.  Even if you closed the Buffet and made it a Sit Down Las Vegas style Restaurant with shows  that are included in the Cruise Fare I would be happy.  All I really need is Coffee and a good book or Music! 

Let's be Friends and support each other as we get back to sailing. Please realize that  not everyone is comfortable cruising right now or getting the vaccine and that is their own choice!  We need to love one another as we never know what tomorrow may bring.

"See you on the Lido Deck" as Tony from La Lido Loca Says.  No matter what happens on my cruise -I pray for good health we will sail together as one big Family! Fair Winds To You and please feel free to comment on my post!

Edited by travelplus
  • Like 8

@travelplus, I envy you for all the TA cruises. I definitely will want to go on one after my DS is done with school in several more years. I've seen some really fantastic last-minute fares in the past. I've seen others have also posted how they did a B2B, combining a 7 night with a TA crossing. I hadn't thought of that and it sounds awesome. Guess that is where the free laundry perk comes in.

• Like 1

I was just thinking the other day that the cruise lines could adopt some of the policies of Wicked Spoon (Cosmo buffet for the uninitiated). Having servers for some items and then single serve grab and go for others with someone watching over to ensure sanitary conditions and clear/remove any item(s) that guests breach protocols. Even Bacchanal (buffet at Caesars for the uninitiated) adopted the grab and go items once the feedback was so positive from Vegas heads about Wicked Spoon.    

• Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 10:19 AM, cruisingguy007 said:

I was just thinking the other day that the cruise lines could adopt some of the policies of Wicked Spoon (Cosmo buffet for the uninitiated). Having servers for some items and then single serve grab and go for others with someone watching over to ensure sanitary conditions and clear/remove any item(s) that guests breach protocols. Even Bacchanal (buffet at Caesars for the uninitiated) adopted the grab and go items once the feedback was so positive from Vegas heads about Wicked Spoon.    

Agreed! I enjoyed my Brunch at Wicked Spoon and they could have an add on for unlimited alcohol for those without the package. For md I would pay $20 for unlimited alcohol kind of like a Day Pass as on port days I cannot use the package to the fullest and 15 drinks is a lot.

On 5/1/2021 at 10:19 AM, cruisingguy007 said:

The LAX AMEX lounge has grab and go . I love this concept quick and tasty .

On 5/1/2021 at 9:56 AM, mondello said:

@travelplus, I envy you for all the TA cruises. I definitely will want to go on one after my DS is done with school in several more years. I've seen some really fantastic last-minute fares in the past. I've seen others have also posted how they did a B2B, combining a 7 night with a TA crossing. I hadn't thought of that and it sounds awesome. Guess that is where the free laundry perk comes in.

Yes the TA B2Bs are super especially being Diamond on Royal we have a nightly Happy Hour with unlimited drinks plus they load 3 free drinks a night during the Happy Hour. The Diamond Lounge has a nice AM buffet and an Espresso Machine . Royal status matches me to Elite on Celebrity and with Azamara too and MLife Gold with MGM. Royal let's you bid for upgrades. I got a Balcony from an Oceanview for $120 for the first two passengers on both cruises! 

I wish Carnival would status match with Princess,Holland and Cunard.  This is one reason I think many others will stick to Royal. 

It does not cost anything for Carnival Corp lines to status match from their competitors like MSC or from their own plus Bid for Cabin Upgrades .

• Like 1