Fred Olsen cancels Welcome Back ex-Rosyth cruises

Received an email from Fred Olsen at noon today to advise that our cruise 31st July 5 nights Norwegian Fjords has been cancelled.  On phone to rep told all cruises out of Rosyth cancelled due to Scottish Government's lack of any clear way forward to cruising in and out of Scotland.  Disappointing day for all those booked and especially for those who like us was to be our first venture onto Fred Olsen.  

We only made full and final payment last week and when we called FO last Saturday to book parking was told to hold off as they were at that time "looking at this cruise".  When I asked what that meant, was told couldn't tell us anything but it was quite obvious from what was not said that something was up and we were told we would receive an email later this week.  I think it was disingenuous of them to take final payment for these cruises (and in fact it was still possible to book these online yesterday) when they were already "looking" at them at that time!  Doesn't really bode well for our interest for FO in the future but the final blow was 10-12 weeks for refund!   I realise that they will have to process many refunds - 10% future cruise credit doesn't really entice us very much - but it always amazes us how companies can take payments literally in seconds but take so long to process refunds!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I see there were only four very short cruises from Rosyth and I know someone was told not to pay the balance for a  Fjords cruise last week, though perhaps after yours was paid.  Unlike other cruise lines, Fred has actually been extremely good with refunds and customer service generally and I would not expect to wait anything like 10-12 weeks.  Looks like things did slip here, the problem for many people (possibly not yourself though) is that agents have been wanting payment earlier than they need to have asked for it.

The good news regards agent bookings is that Fred has still dealt with the refund requests themselves.  There have been instances of that money being held onto by agents though, so worth keeping in touch with Fred if it looks like the payment is delayed and booking was via an agent.  It is a lot easier to tackle an agent if you have been clearly told by Fred when he made payment to them.

I had seen those cruises on line in the last day or two and they had "please call" at the bottom where the "from price" usually is, so they would not have been bookable at that time.  Often they are not removed from the website entirely for a while as that would take IT to change the website regards that.

Edited by tring

We got an email at the same time as you cancelling the cruise from Rosyth that we had booked for the 5th August.  We were due to pay the balance tomorrow (luckily) only the deposit has been paid shall decide what to do in the next week or so 😞

Hi Tring

We booked direct with FO - it was one of their agents who told us this news last Saturday about them "looking into these cruises".  Shame we weren't aware of this the day before when we made final payment which was actually due by/on the 2nd May - so we were ahead of ourselves by 2 days but I doubt if we had held back till the 2nd it would have made any difference as the FO agent I spoke to today said the first "they" heard of it was today, but clearly something was circulating last week!   I still think its poor show by FO to have taken payment knowing full well they were reviewing these cruises.  

Especially now I read that you know someone was told to hold off paying the balance on their cruise. 

All the cruise lines want cash flow right now and are hoping that folk will transfer to another cruise or accept the 10% future cruise credit but quite honestly they forget that they are affecting our cash flow!!!   

We will just have to be patient and see what happens.   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Segmentersfloattheboat said:

Hi Tring

We booked direct with FO - it was one of their agents who told us this news last Saturday about them "looking into these cruises".  Shame we weren't aware of this the day before when we made final payment which was actually due by/on the 2nd May - so we were ahead of ourselves by 2 days but I doubt if we had held back till the 2nd it would have made any difference as the FO agent I spoke to today said the first "they" heard of it was today, but clearly something was circulating last week!   I still think its poor show by FO to have taken payment knowing full well they were reviewing these cruises.  

Especially now I read that you know someone was told to hold off paying the balance on their cruise. 

All the cruise lines want cash flow right now and are hoping that folk will transfer to another cruise or accept the 10% future cruise credit but quite honestly they forget that they are affecting our cash flow!!!   

We will just have to be patient and see what happens.   

Actually what I have seen is a thread on another site on which (I think a number of people - but certainly more than one) were going to pay Fred, but told to not pay as a statement was to be made once something was clarified about that cruise.  I think there had been some mention about the Scottish Government. 

Sounds like you must have paid just before that instruction was issued.  If agents had not paid the cash to Fred, presumably that could be returned before doing so but as the agent knew something was being looked into, they too were perhaps told to delay taking balance payments at that stage.  In theory, yes, would have been far better for the cruises to be cancelled earlier, so Fred has obviously been hopeful they would have got assurance to sail.  Sad to hear this has not gone right though and I hope you get your refund soon.  I have seen a few others mentioning the cancellations this afternoon, but I do not think their balances had been paid, so should be relatively easy for Fred to sort those who have paid - hopefully.

I think everyone feels some sort of uncertainty about cruises or other holidays this year as there could easily be last minute cancellation/changes.  Sad, but seems to have become a part of life and we can only hope the world becomes more settled in the near future.  I hope you also find some sort of replacement break that you can enjoy,

Thanks for keeping us informed on here regards the cancellations.

Barbara

Edited by tring

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update - we received our refund today.  That was a relief to not have to wait 10-12 weeks!  

Thinking we may well stay shore based for a holiday this year - but that thought process may well change if we hear the early cruises are going well.  That's if we can sneak on last minute!  😀

Thanks Tring for your replies and help.  

July morning - hope you managed to sort something out.

• Like 1