Welcome Back Cruises 2021 - Malta & Adriatic Cruises and General Discussion

JM0115

31 minutes ago, gma1 said:

That's correct, however, you cannot complete the verifly application unless you have the QR code that is given only on the receipt email from Malta, verifying you have completed that PLF form.  That's why you can simply print out that email with the QR code and take that to the airport.  They can complete the verifly application with that code......then Viking and Malta will both know you have done everything required to prove your vaccinated.

I filled out  the verify app  for  my Bermuda cruise in July. Still have it on my phone. So I will wait  until the proper day to  do the Malta PLF, then check my verify with new information.  Will get a PCR test on Sat before  my flight from Newark to Malta on Monday night ,arriving  in Malta on Oct 12.

So looking forward to this short cruise and the ports of call. 

On the Viking Sea. Arrived yesterday at 11:30am on the Lufthansa charter flight from Newark. Viking had a rep in NY to help with any concerns. The only items needed at the Malta airport were passport, vaccination card and that Malta digital health form. They never asked to see our negative covid tests in Malta but they did in Orlando (where we originally flew from).The whole process was easy peasy as long as you have everything together. It’s a short bus ride to the ship and the check in process was well organized and very fast. 
Hope this helps!😃
I’m attaching today’s Viking Daily.

7D712CFF-1CAD-423B-BFCD-270B557394AF.jpeg

6AA43D6A-4544-4157-9F98-EAE64E1CB8E0.jpeg

B75B8F92-2854-415A-B3DE-750EADF87141.jpeg

• Like 10

This morning I received an email providing a Viking emergency travel hotline number.  My husband and I are booked on the Viking Venus embarking aug 23. We’re flying from SFO to Newark on Sunday then taking the LUFTHANSA charter to Malta. We hope we won’t have to use the emergency number for travel issues due to the hurricane/storm that’s expected to hit the Northeast, including the New York area 🙏🏼 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kjalzate said:

This morning I received an email providing a Viking emergency travel hotline number.  My husband and I are booked on the Viking Venus embarking aug 23. We’re flying from SFO to Newark on Sunday then taking the LUFTHANSA charter to Malta. We hope we won’t have to use the emergency number for travel issues due to the hurricane/storm that’s expected to hit the Northeast, including the New York area 🙏🏼 

We are also on Aug 23 and live in the UK. We also received the email with the Viking emergency travel hotline number.

On 8/20/2021 at 9:48 AM, les37b said:

The cruises are (thankfully) still sailing and they are prepared to now allow "cruise only" bookings with a £150 discount, which you will obviously struggle to get an airfare for that price.

But it does open it up to use airlines like easyjet and arrive and depart when you like. You could probably even get your return fare for that price and then pay for a few days to site see Malta, which has been an option always available to US bookings.

A quick look at Skyscanner suggests that even easyJet is charging over £300 return from London airports to Malta when booking a month in advance. It looks like Malta's early placement on the green list (at one point it was the only real holiday destination on the list) has made it disproportionately popular. Not helped by airlines like BA who consistently put profit ahead of customer service, cancelling flights that I'm sure would be reasonably profitable to make super-profits on the remaining flights.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, barney61 said:

We are also on Aug 23 and live in the UK. We also received the email with the Viking emergency travel hotline number.

We are in the August 13 cruise now and will be headed in the opposite direction on the 23rd.  Hoping there won’t be travel issues for the return home.

6 hours ago, FLORIDA FLOUNDER said:

They never asked to see our negative covid tests in Malta but they did in Orlando (where we originally flew from).

Why did they ask for covid test results in Orlando when they're not actually required?

We're flying Orlando to Malta through Newark in about a month, and plan to be tested as recommended by Viking.   But not sure why they're asking.

7 minutes ago, jmulvey96 said:

Why did they ask for covid test results in Orlando when they're not actually required?

We're flying Orlando to Malta through Newark in about a month, and plan to be tested as recommended by Viking.   But not sure why they're asking.

Wondering the same question as we are flying out of Greenville, SC tomorrow afternoon via DC to Newark and just hope the testing results from yesterday get here today. Also, watching the East Coast Newark weather.What a whirlwind this cruise is, just want to get onboard the Venus!

Question relating to the Malta / Croatia cruise on the Viking Venus 23rd August. Are we allowed to get off the ship on our own for any of the ports? I would appreciate if anyone is knowledgeable regarding what happens in : Malta / Croatia / Montenegro / Gozo. Also we stay on the ship for the Greek islands commencing 2nd Sept... again is it allowed to get off the ship by yourself?

42 minutes ago, geordie_jim said:

Question relating to the Malta / Croatia cruise on the Viking Venus 23rd August. Are we allowed to get off the ship on our own for any of the ports? I would appreciate if anyone is knowledgeable regarding what happens in : Malta / Croatia / Montenegro / Gozo. Also we stay on the ship for the Greek islands commencing 2nd Sept... again is it allowed to get off the ship by yourself?

Also be interested in knowing of how crowded the Viking excursion busses are and any contract tracing rules.

On 8/20/2021 at 9:22 AM, les37b said:

You need to book it in advance to get on the flight. They are charging £43 for the privilege and their responses to the overflowing, unattended collection points is disgusting. If you don't get your test result back (because its lost / stolen), there would be no refund and you will no doubt still be required to produce a negative test result, which you no doubt will need to pay again. I think that will be an issue for most people and a little naive to think you've fulfilled your obligation because "they" lost yours. That is WHY I am not impressed with their behaviour and responses. I think we all agree its all a big money making con.

Yes def a big money making con. Also whilst you have to have the day 2 test booked before you get on the flight, is there any sort of check that you actually take the test or on what the results are. I appreciate if you paid for a test you are likely to take it, but if the test is then lost and you never get a result, would anyone know?

9 hours ago, FLORIDA FLOUNDER said:

On the Viking Sea. Arrived yesterday at 11:30am on the Lufthansa charter flight from Newark. Viking had a rep in NY to help with any concerns. The only items needed at the Malta airport were passport, vaccination card and that Malta digital health form. They never asked to see our negative covid tests in Malta but they did in Orlando (where we originally flew from).The whole process was easy peasy as long as you have everything together. It’s a short bus ride to the ship and the check in process was well organized and very fast. 
Hope this helps!😃

FF - A few questions if you don't mind. At Orlando did you check in with United or Lufthansa? At Newark did you have to claim and re-check your bags or did they automatically transfer.  Enjoy your cruise!

10 hours ago, FLORIDA FLOUNDER said:

Hope this helps!😃

7D712CFF-1CAD-423B-BFCD-270B557394AF.jpeg

6AA43D6A-4544-4157-9F98-EAE64E1CB8E0.jpeg

B75B8F92-2854-415A-B3DE-750EADF87141.jpeg

ENJOY!! Curious…. how crowded was the Viking charter? Also, do you know how many passengers are on your cruise? Or how many on the next one? (That’s our cruise 😀).

Our first morning back from the 8/10 Sea cruise to Montenegro/Croatia.  Catching up with the latest flurry of posts out of curiosity, I thought I'd relate some of our experiences.  Beginning our adventure, United at Sacramento, CA wanted to see everything, printed Malta DPLF, recent PCR test even though not required by Malta, CDC vaccination card.  At Newark, Lufthansa only wanted to see the DPLF.  Our luggage was checked through from Sacramento to Malta.  Arriving in Malta, I carefully watched what the health inspectors were requiring, and people were sailing through with the printed DPLF and what seemed to be their CDC vacc card.  However, a young inspector arrived and waved us over to his desk.  He wanted everything, including having us get out our phones, connect to the airport WIFI, and do the Verifly app thing for the Malta Arrival.  Margaret had no problem, but for some reason there was an issue with my connection.  He ultimately went to his supervisor, and came back and waved us through to board the ship.  Bottom line, and why I'm posting this, is that what you have to show totally varies from written requirements, and depends on the individual official.

As was said earlier, in the return, luggage has to be picked up at Newark, and passed through customs which consisted of two bored agents talking and seemingly not looking at any of us.  Then you drop it at the connecting luggage location next to the departure area, and go back in through security to your gate.  In the flight connection Viking set up, we had one hour and forty minutes to do this, and were the last people to board our flight to Sacramento.  By the way, United has apologized for my duffel being shunted to the carousel and says they will ship it to me "real soon".

The Cruise was just great, and for us, Viking is right up there with our go-to Oceania.  Margaret likes it a little better overall, while I prefer Oceania small ships.

Regards, Troy

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, PBtroy said:

Our first morning back from the 8/10 Sea cruise to Montenegro/Croatia.  Catching up with the latest flurry of posts out of curiosity, I thought I'd relate some of our experiences.  Beginning our adventure, United at Sacramento, CA wanted to see everything, printed Malta DPLF, recent PCR test even though not required by Malta, CDC vaccination card.  At Newark, Lufthansa only wanted to see the DPLF.  Our luggage was checked through from Sacramento to Malta.  Arriving in Malta, I carefully watched what the health inspectors were requiring, and people were sailing through with the printed DPLF and what seemed to be their CDC vacc card.  However, a young inspector arrived and waved us over to his desk.  He wanted everything, including having us get out our phones, connect to the airport WIFI, and do the Verifly app thing for the Malta Arrival.  Margaret had no problem, but for some reason there was an issue with my connection.  He ultimately went to his supervisor, and came back and waved us through to board the ship.  Bottom line, and why I'm posting this, is that what you have to show totally varies from written requirements, and depends on the individual official.

As was said earlier, in the return, luggage has to be picked up at Newark, and passed through customs which consisted of two bored agents talking and seemingly not looking at any of us.  Then you drop it at the connecting luggage location next to the departure area, and go back in through security to your gate.  In the flight connection Viking set up, we had one hour and forty minutes to do this, and were the last people to board our flight to Sacramento.  By the way, United has apologized for my duffel being shunted to the carousel and says they will ship it to me "real soon".

The Cruise was just great, and for us, Viking is right up there with our go-to Oceania.  Margaret likes it a little better overall, while I prefer Oceania small ships.

Regards, Troy

Thanks! Any recommendations for excursions (or ones that weren’t so great)?

Can't help much on excursions.  Only went on one non-included to the waterfalls of Krka Nat'l Park.  It was very hot, resulting in the 100 or so steps at the end to be challenging to some.  I found the falls underwhelming, but others really liked it.  A very good lunch was provided.

The included excursions each port day were fine.  Pretty much as described.  I thought the local guides had a lot of interesting information.  

Troy

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, PBtroy said:

Can't help much on excursions.  Only went on one non-included to the waterfalls of Krka Nat'l Park.  It was very hot, resulting in the 100 or so steps at the end to be challenging to some.  I found the falls underwhelming, but others really liked it.  A very good lunch was provided.

The included excursions each port day were fine.  Pretty much as described.  I thought the local guides had a lot of interesting information.  

Troy

Thanks for the update..I just hope there is social distancing on the buses. Got our CVS negative tests back in 27 hours, ready to go tomorrow. Give yourselves plenty of time at USA airports, flying United to DC and on to Newark. Cannot check in online to get boarding passes. I doubt if they know where Malta is.....🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/19/2021 at 10:07 PM, crochetgirl said:

For those who have flown the charter from EWR to Malta:

How strict are airline personnel in checking the weight of the carry-on bag?? I am hoping that it might be more relaxed since the plane probably will not be full.

Thanks for your insight!

They never weighed our carry-on. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lazybrew said:

FF - A few questions if you don't mind. At Orlando did you check in with United or Lufthansa? At Newark did you have to claim and re-check your bags or did they automatically transfer.  Enjoy your cruise!

We checked in with United in Orlando and we did not have to recheck the bags. They went straight through to Malta. 😃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, travelguy19 said:

ENJOY!! Curious…. how crowded was the Viking charter? Also, do you know how many passengers are on your cruise? Or how many on the next one? (That’s our cruise 😀).

The charter flight was pretty full but did have some empty seats. 
Not sure on the exact amount of passengers but I heard 600 or so and I haven’t heard how many of the next, sorry. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jmulvey96 said:

No clue why United asked for the negative results. 🤷🏼‍♀️

They asked for them so we showed them. 

2 minutes ago, FLORIDA FLOUNDER said:

The charter flight was pretty full but did have some empty seats. 
Not sure on the exact amount of passengers but I heard 600 or so and I haven’t heard how many of the next, sorry. 

Thanks for all the helpful info! We are starting to "nail bite" on the stress of our PCR tests results. Scheduling 2...following your example of CVS & Walgreen on coming Friday... Interesting that it was checked by United in Orlando.  Someone else said with her Air France flight also!

19 minutes ago, gma1 said:

Thanks for all the helpful info! We are starting to "nail bite" on the stress of our PCR tests results. Scheduling 2...following your example of CVS & Walgreen on coming Friday... Interesting that it was checked by United in Orlando.  Someone else said with her Air France flight also!

We are doing the exact same thing - both Walgreens and CVS on Friday. If it makes you feel any better, it seems like most everyone is getting their results back in 24-36 hours.

23 hours ago, Kjalzate said:

I emailed Viking customer service to tell them of my worry about EWR airport potentially being  affected by the hurricane Henri on Sunday. Also sent them a screenshot of the email United sent me stating ‘’Tropical Storm Henri across the New York metropolitan area may cause disruptions to your flight, including possible delays or cancellations.’’
Viking Travel Emergency was quick to rebook me on a flight through FRA. Whew! I was already stressed from waiting for my covid test results (now received) so I didn’t need the added stress of showing up at the airport fearing a last minute cancellation tomorrow. 😅